Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade

Tee

I have not used my Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade for a little while. I pulled it out this morning, rubbed it on my finger tips, and applied to my hair.

PROBLEM: It has a gritty texture to it. I had little white pieces of pomade all in my hair. :perplexed Anyone know what can be done about this? (other than trashing it??)

Hmmm, I didn't have a problem with mine either. I hadn't used it for about 3 months but used it Sunday without incident. Maybe you can ask over at Oyin if that's normal or if they have an suggestions.

VWVixxen said:
Hmmm, I didn't have a problem with mine either. I hadn't used it for about 3 months but used it Sunday without incident. Maybe you can ask over at Oyin if that's normal or if they have an suggestions.

Thanks Vixxen. I sent an email to them. I called the number listed on the site but you can't get a real person. I wonder if mine has just gone bad. (I didnt think that it would.)

I remember TSU saying something about one of her butters getting gritty when shipped out in the warmer months. I was wondering if melting it and let it 'reset' would help. I just dont know. I love this stuff so I dont want to trash it. Thanks for the reply Vix!

You're very welcome. The gritty thing happens with shea butter when it's not cooled properly or something like that. I'm hoping that's the case with this; I would feel badly FOR you if you had to throw it away! :ill:

Be sure to let us know what they say in case anyone else encounters a similar problem.

VWVixxen said:
You're very welcome. The gritty thing happens with shea butter when it's not cooled properly or something like that. I'm hoping that's the case with this; I would feel badly FOR you if you had to throw it away! :ill:

Be sure to let us know what they say in case anyone else encounters a similar problem.

I will do so! Thanks!

I don't have that pomade, but the same thing happened to me with Ojon. It had been melted during a move and when it solidified again, it had a gritty texture and little white specks throughout. The only thing that I could do was melt little bits at a time right before using and that got rid of them, so that I wouldn't have the white specks all over my head.
HTH!

I have the same issue w/some of my butters. I haven't tried anything to fix it but I'm thinking maybe you should try melting it a little (not to the point where its in liquid form though). Hopefully this works-please don't trash it though. It's still really good. ;)

KEWLKAT103 said:
I don't have that pomade, but the same thing happened to me with Ojon. It had been melted during a move and when it solidified again, it had a gritty texture and little white specks throughout. The only thing that I could do was melt little bits at a time right before using and that got rid of them, so that I wouldn't have the white specks all over my head.
HTH!

That is exactly how mine look! Exactly. Thanks for the tip.

natstar said:
I have the same issue w/some of my butters. I haven't tried anything to fix it but I'm thinking maybe you should try melting it a little (not to the point where its in liquid form though). Hopefully this works-please don't trash it though. It's still really good. ;)
Thanks natstar.

oh wow...i just purchased the burnt sugar to try for the 1st time. i hope i'll be ok. how does this work in the hair? what does it do?:)

Letitia said:
Thanks Vixxen. I sent an email to them. I called the number listed on the site but you can't get a real person. I wonder if mine has just gone bad. (I didnt think that it would.)

I remember TSU saying something about one of her butters getting gritty when shipped out in the warmer months. I was wondering if melting it and let it 'reset' would help. I just dont know. I love this stuff so I dont want to trash it. Thanks for the reply Vix!

The grittiness happend with Shea Butter based products. It happened with my first batch of Shealoe and Jane Carter Nourish & Shine (both purchased during the hot summer). They melted during shipping, and when I received them, they were liquid. When they solidified, it was gritty.

The Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade doesn't have shea butter in it, does it?

TSUprincess04 said:
The grittiness happend with Shea Butter based products. It happened with my first batch of Shealoe and Jane Carter Nourish & Shine (both purchased during the hot summer). They melted during shipping, and when I received them, they were liquid. When they solidified, it was gritty.

The Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade doesn't have shea butter in it, does it?
I believe it does have shea butter in it. I recently placed an order for it and the juices&berries spray. Can't wait to try them both!

I did get an email back today. I just wanted to share in case anyone else came across this problem later. I will try it out this weekend to see if it works.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi letitia,

i'm sorry to hear about this! sometimes, if the pomade is heated and then cooled slowly, the veggie wax can form soft crystals. in the hot summertime, those conditions are not that difficult to acheive in daily life. (if it's left the car, if it sits on the porch after delivery, etc)

i'd suggest heating it gently (scoop it out of the jar for this; the jar will melt if the contents get too hot) perhaps in a pyrex measuring cup or a microwave-safe bowl. once it is liquid, return it to the jar and put it into the fridge. this will cool it quickly and ensure that it does not crystallize. after that, you can protect it by keeping it in a cool place if possible.

TSU.......... thanks for the replies. I can't remember if it has shea in it or not. I will look when I get home.

Nita........ I am sure the berries and Jucies smell nice.

Honeybadgirl....I am sure yours will be fine. You can use it as you would any pomade. Just with this one, a little goes a long way. It can get greasy. This is why I love the End All by Hair2Heaven Pomade better. (It's not greasy, more creamy.) I was trying to use up some of the products I have and pulled out the Burnt Sugar Pomade.

Letitia said:
I did get an email back today. I just wanted to share in case anyone else came across this problem later. I will try it out this weekend to see if it works.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

TSU.......... thanks for the replies. I can't remember if it has shea in it or not. I will look when I get home.

Nita........ I am sure the berries and Jucies smell nice.

Honeybadgirl....I am sure yours will be fine. You can use it as you would any pomade. Just with this one, a little goes a long way. It can get greasy. This is why I love the End All by Hair2Heaven Pomade better. (It's not greasy, more creamy.) I was trying to use up some of the products I have and pulled out the Burnt Sugar Pomade.

cool, thanks!! since i wear my hair pulled back i needed something that will define my natural waves and hold it down!!!!

The same thing happened to mine Letitia. I hadn't used it for awhile and when I went to use it there were little hard things in it. You can actually see them sitting in my hair. These things weren't in there before:( .

Pokahontas said:
The same thing happened to mine Letitia. I hadn't used it for awhile and when I went to use it there were little hard things in it. You can actually see them sitting in my hair. These things weren't in there before:( .

Pokahontas I was waiting for your Oyin Burnt Sugar Bell to ring on your computer! I was wondering when you goign to come in here. I hope melting it helps. I will try it this weekend. :ohwell:

Honeybadgirl.....Let me know how you like yours. I think you will enjoy it. Maybe it was meant to be used up right away. (I dunno. I am reaching)

Letitia said:
Pokahontas I was waiting for your Oyin Burnt Sugar Bell to ring on your computer! I was wondering when you goign to come in here. I hope melting it helps. I will try it this weekend. :ohwell:

Honeybadgirl.....Let me know how you like yours. I think you will enjoy it. Maybe it was meant to be used up right away. (I dunno. I am reaching)
Hee hee....you know it girl. Yeah, I might try heating mine as well. I've had my jar for a long time and there's not much left so I'm not too worried about it.

I don't know if it's just me or if the smell got more potent with age because I went to use mine and my brother was like what the world was that smell and he was all the way downstairs.:lol:

Pokahontas said:
Hee hee....you know it girl. Yeah, I might try heating mine as well. I've had my jar for a long time and there's not much left so I'm not too worried about it.

I don't know if it's just me or if the smell got more potent with age because I went to use mine and my brother was like what the world was that smell and he was all the way downstairs.:lol:

I think you are right. People kept asking me what I had to eat smellin all sweet!! lol

Back