Paging Beana and other Motions Oil users

H

HoneyRockette

I came in on the beginning of the Motions Oil rave and when I snuck and got a relaxer last week I bought the tub in mild. I didn't stick around long enough to see that everyone who used the mild got underprocessed hair. My hair is seriously underprocessed too. Only the very back is straight. The middle looks like it was texturized and the very front looks like no perm has seen it in years! The funny thing is I didn't even start in the back. I was all ready to post a similar thread when I came in on the tail end of your underprocessed thread but I didn't get to read your decision and I can't find it now. So what did you decide to do about your underprocessed hair? Are you going to re-relax and if so, when?

P.S. I got a nasty chemical burn from Motions Oil too. A tiny droplet fell on my glasses and I didn't think to wipe it off. It was really just a microscopic dot. Not only did it burn a hole through the handles of my glasses but there is a big ugly hole on my face where the spot touched it. I don't know how I didn't notice it before this morning. Now that I see it all of a sudden it is burning like hell! I started to treat it already but BOY was that a shock! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif I have learned my lesson though. When it comes to chemicals there is no such thing as a microscopic dot!

pebbles

I'm so sorry to hear that HoneyRockette. /images/graemlins/frown.gif You're right, there is no such thing as a microscopic bit when it comes to chemicals. I would wait a for another 2 weeks at least before doing a corrective relaxer application (if you can. If it looks really bad and you can't wait, than have the parts that didn't take so well touched up). In the mean time, deep condition your hair to get it ready for your next relaxer. Good luck. /images/graemlins/wave.gif

NAY007

i don't really know, i have only gotten my hair relaxed once with the motions oil in mild. the right side of my hair came out pretty good. but the left side since that "lady" did the right side first and the left last is not as straight as the right side.
i am still thinking if i should keep using motions or not.
i have no clue yet.

pebbles

Hi Nay /images/graemlins/wave.gif

If you don't mind me asking, what were you using before? Was there a reason why you switched? Or did you just want to try something new?

Kitkat

Honeyrockette, I used Motions Oil regular. This is obviously not the relaxer for my 4a/4b hair!! At first my hair felt nice and straight. Two weeks later, it felt like I had a month's worth of new growth /images/graemlins/angry2.gif Guess that's what I get from switching from my beloved Affirm.

Sorry about the burn, girl. How is your hair doing? Are you happier with the condition that it's in now?

serena

H

HoneyRockette

Thanks Serena. That wasn't the thread I was looking for but that helped. </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
If you don't mind me asking, what were you using before? Was there a reason why you switched? Or did you just want to try something new?

[/ QUOTE ]
I used to use Affirm at the hairdresser but I am officially on strike against Dominican hairdressers! /images/graemlins/angry2.gif I don't think they sell the big tubs of Affirm to the general public so I just bought Motions Oil because of all the rave reviews.

beana3

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
beana3 said:
thanks brownrelaxed..... i'm thinking of going over the underprocessed part in late february or (if my hair can take it) late april.
As long as i dont experience breakage b/w the 2 textures i'll be fine. (i'm wearing a braid out bun to minimize styling). I was also thinking of getting one of those relaxing balms in the meantime.

[/ QUOTE ]

I decided to go over it again with affirm lye. and i'll apply it for 5-10 mins after i've finished touching up the new growth. Then i have a proetin treatment in store and i'll finish up with a roller set. I'm way past due for my relaxer at this point so whenevr i do it i think it'll be fine (i haven't relaxed since late oct.). As for trhe tub, maybe you should try posting on the hair products exchange board, i know some people here like motions oil. HTH
Oh and BTW, i think we're striking for the same cause!! onlyy mine is against almost all salons... /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif

LondonDiva

Beana keep me posted on how the corrective relaxer works for you. I'd be very interested to hear your results seeing as we went through the same thing with the Motions relaxers, having not taken too well.

beana3

I will LD. i was really pissed that the motions oil didn't work for me in the first place, but i guess we live and learn. Thanks for the protein condit tip....

H

HoneyRockette

Are you sure it is safe to go over one relaxer with another? As long as it is lye, is it safe? I just bought the stupid freaking tub too so I think I will swap it. And BTW Beana, I haven't given up on Black salons yet. I am just looking for a good one. I don't suppose you would have any recommendations, huh? /images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

LondonDiva

No problem beana good luck. I'm going to try aussie 3 minute reconstructer today. I'll let you know how it works out. I was looking for aussie slip but couldn't find any.

LondonDiva

HR that is VERY hard to say without actually seeing your hair in person (and we know that impossible of course) but i think if your hair is in a damaged state, then it's not adviseable. you have to watch it like a hawk. Apply leave for a few minutes and then rinse out and follow all the post relaxer steps like you usually would. A few mins can make all the difference.

BTW if it's lye you're using add a lil olive oil to it and give it a really good stirring so that the relaxer is in a whipped consistencey. This makes the applying and the taking of the relaxer to the hair a lot easier and smoother. I find if I apply the relaxer straight from the tub, it takes a lot longer to "take" on my hair. I believe that my past few successful touch ups have been due to adding the oil and mixing it up really well and smooth.

Good Luck

beana3

I agree with LD, if your hair is damaged, i wouldn't do it. I have very healthy hair from roots to about 4-6 inches down, but the rest is in decent shape and still needs some nursing. I'll be retouching about 1.5 inches of underproceesed hair and i inch of new grwth, i think i'll be fine...

Crysdon

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
How can you tell if your hair is healthy?

[/ QUOTE ]

With the elastic test. When a strand of hair comes out, pull it apart slightly . If it breaks with slight tugging, then it's damaged. If it springs back, then it's healthy.

NAY007

hey pebbles,

the hairboards were the main reason why i switched. i usually relaxed my hair with african pride and my hair always looked like it does now. and i never based my scalp. i really don't like going to hair salons except for something that i can't do like color my hair or cornrow it. but i think next time i want to relax my hair on my own again. and maybe i go back to african pride.....what do you think??? i am really open for any suggestions.

H

HoneyRockette

Okay I just ran into the bathroom and yanked out a strand of hair. It doesn't break but it isn't springy either. Then again I just did a super duper triple moisturizing conditioning treatment before I went to bed last night so Kryptonite couldn't break my hair at this point. Does this mean I can relax it again in a week or so?

Crysdon

Honeyrockette,

I think you should wait until you have at least one inch of new growth or more.

H

HoneyRockette

The two inches I had from before are still there though and it is right in the front. The whole front half of my head is not relaxed.

Crysdon

I am stumped /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif!

I don't want you to overprocess you hair, even though you said it was under processed. I would say wait 4-6 weeks and continue with your super duper quadruple moisturising regimine until that time.

pebbles

Hi Nay007 /images/graemlins/wave.gif

If the African Pride was working for you, and you didn't have any problems with it, then go back to it if you like. You don't sound overly thrilled with the motions; or maybe it was the person that did your touch up? If you know how to do your relaxer on your own, ( I envy people who can do this, like LondonDiva), then try the Motions again. If it doesn't work that time, then definately go back to what you used to do before. /images/graemlins/wave.gif

Paris Belle

Motions Oil works well for me, but the last time I got it done, my hairdresser got a little on the very edge of my forehead (right before the hairline) and I wiped it off, but it left burn marks on the next day. They are since gone, but I am definitely more careful with it now.

BTW..How long did you leave it on? This might not matter, but I was just curious.

beana3

i can tell that my hair is healthy (at certain lengths) b/c it has
1) elasticity
2) the strand is very thick and has no visible weak spots
3) doesn't break easily

NAY007

thanks pebbles,

i was thinking about this option too. but i don't like to base my scalp (so much work). but maybe i give it a try. do you know if i can still use the other half of the jar in 5 months or should i buy a new one??? cause if i had to buy a new one i definitely buy the african pride again /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

CynamonKis

Oh my! If Motions Oil relaxer did this to your glasses there's no way I'm putting it on my hair! Thanks for the information.....

Cyn /images/graemlins/blush.gifoo:

pebbles

As long as you leave your tub in a cool dry place, out of direct light, it should be fine. These relaxers are supposed to be good for 6 months to 1 year. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tracy

I'm so suprised because I have had the worst time finding the exact relaxer for me and of course now that I have it's :drumroll please: Motion Oil in Mild. My hair wasn't underprocessed at all! /images/graemlins/confused.gif

At any rate I wanted to also add that I think you should wait - no matter how healthy your hair might feel and no matter how many conditioning treatments you do. As you saw with the spot on your face chemicals are no joke and I wouldn't play with them (especially at home) using them at a frequency that isn't recommended. I'd resign myself to a few bad hair weeks of buns and gentle combing and wait....

free2bme

Sorry to hear the motions mild oil mild didn't work for you. It is truely one of the midest relaxers out there and is best suited for extremely sentive scalps or those with fine hair. (I was accidently based with this relaxer and I didn't burn!!!)/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

I would say hold out as long as you can try a stonger formula regardless of the brand you use when you are ready to relax again.

Good Luck and keep us posted.