Paging Pebbles......

BronxDiva

Can you tell me how to do a braid out. I let my hair air dry this weekend and then I applied dew then I sectioned my hair into six parts and braided them. Is that right? If so how do I maintain the waves do I rebraid every night?

pebbles

I've never done a braid out, but I think that you are supposed to braid it when wet after washing your hair or after saturating it with moisture and braid it. Then let it dry. You should also braid it at night and undo it in the morning. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
I hope I'm right. I'm sure some of the other women who do braid outs can jump in and correct me if I'm wrong. Don't forget to take pictures and post afterwards. I would love to see how it comes out. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Let me know. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

daviine

Pebbles is basically right. That is how I do mine except that i'm too lazy to braid it again at night.

Some people braid their dry hair, and then wet it or spray it until damp and then let it air dry. One person I know that does this, does it becasue she doesn't like to handle her hair when wet since it is more fragile. Another person I know sprays it until it is damp (not wet) after braiding it dry so that the "waves" will be softer as opposed to sharper.

I've never tried it this way although I've been dying to try it these ways.

HTH

daviine

Peachtree

Hi BronxDiva,
I'm wearing a "braid out" right now. I'm loving this style. This is my first one; I think it turned out pretty well. I'm beginning to create my "hair album"; a picture of this 1st braid out will be included.

This is what I did: hot oil treatment, shampoo, deep condition, added leave in conditioner, hot six oil, a dab of setting lotion on each braid. I made 5 french braids: 3 vertical in the back, 2 verticals on each frontal side (with a part in the temple area). I braided the hair downward, leaving approx 1" of end hair unbraided. With this 1" of hair, I wrapped a roller around the ends (using end papers). After 27 hrs, my hair was completed air dried.

As I prepared for church this morning, I released my braids & I simply loved the results. My hair is super soft, bouncy, moisturized, has a nice sheen; the ends are silky, and what's really blowing me away is my hair color...now it's a deep black...I have looooonged for this color; it's usually brownish-black.

Now, as for how to retain the waves....well, I'm experimenting; I'm thinking maybe I should re-braid it, but I don't like handling my hair too much, especially if I'm not styling it. So I decided to wear a ponytail; I have the hair gathered on top of my head, in a very loose ponytail, secured with a satin scrunchie, covered in a satin bonnett. I hope this keeps my waves; it works for my roller sets. We'll see.
.......... God Bless, Peachtree

daviine

Peachtree....I like your detailed instructions.

I usually don't rebraid my hair and do a fresh braidout every two-three days, especially close to touchup time.

I never thought of not braiding the end; I usually braid the ends and roll it with a spiral rod or other roller.

BronxDiva

Thank you Peachtree, Daviine and Pebbles /images/graemlins/smile.gif I am going to try it again on Wednesday, if there is a strike (MTA) I might try it tomorrow /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Peachtree

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I usually don't rebraid my hair and doa frest braidout every two-three days, especially close to touchup time

[/ QUOTE ]

Daviine, it just hit me...prior to touch-up time, the braid out serves 2 purposes: it's a wonderful way to keep the hair very moisturized before the touchup, &amp; also, it serves as a way to "blend" the wavy new growth with the already relaxed hair. I relax every 5 mths; this is marvelous way to still look "stylish" while caring for 2-3" of new growth.

Thanks Daviine!

daviine

I never really thought about the moisturizing thing...I just wanted to blend the hair...and the new growth makes it look like your hair is naturally wavy. It's just so cool!!!!

Integrity

i find that braiding or twisting moisturized sections of my hair AND THEN roller setting the twists-braids gives me a nice curly wavy look with bumped ends in the morning!! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Honi

There is no board.
I tried the braid out thing and I think if it would have COMPLETELY DRIED it would have turned out cute. I only ended up with a tangled, frizzy mess! LOL So what I do now is a twist out. I still have to make sure that it's dry or I get the same result.

Good luck!