Perfect Resules with Butters/Balms/Pomades

chayil0427

Hey ladies...

I have been learing a few things through trial and error about thicker moisturizers like butters balms and pomades.

I like to use shea butter, avocado butter, and Elasta QP mango butter but the first couple of times I tried it it really wasn't going well.

I've found that by working in dime dized amount I only need a itty bit of these oils to make my hair look and feel moist and be shiny. That way I get all the benefits of the butters and still keep light floaty hair.

Here's what I did tonight:

I washed and conditioned as usual. Before drying I worked in about 3 to 4 dime dized amounts of shealoe. After drying I saw that my hair could stand a lil more so I worked in about two more dime sized amount before flat ironing.

My hair came out super soft and shiny. After I took a VERY VERY small amount (not even a dime) of avocado butter and started coating my ends...picking up a lil more butter in very small dabs until all my ends were coated very thinly. Then I took a very small dab and just rubbed it over the length of my hair for some extra gloss. The results? Bouncy shiny hair that's well moisturized. Less is more! Plus I'm saving a lot of money by only using what's needed. The four ounce jars of shealoe and avocado from from nature with love are going to last a good while so I don't feel bad about what I paid for them.

I think I learned to use too much oil from those scalp-greasing-kitchen-saturday-afternoon-hair pressings. All that oil is really not needed. At least not for me to have soft moisturized hair.

Just a tip that's working for me and my hair. Hope it helps someone.

Chayil

Radianthealth

Thanks, I think this is common sense that we have to be reminded of over and over and over again.

I know how great my hair turns out when I use less product but sometimes I forget and go overboard. This just confirms the right way to do things:grin:

I just got some red palm butter and rice bran oil so I will have to watch myself so that I don't over do it:ohwell:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Thanks for sharing your tips. I just got my avacado and palm red butter. I'm really liking them so far.

Jas123

The Star of a Story
sareca said:
Yep, I don't use more than a quarter size on my whole head.
This is a good tip..cause I'm about to make the red palm cream and I can see myself going overboard..way overboard, especially if it comes out as creamy as I think it will

Cichelle

Yup, I've also found that less is better. I took me a while to figure out just how much to use and I still occasionally use too much. But when I can get it just right, it's wonderful.

Cheleigh

Good advice. I've also realized that too much butter or oil will make my hair hard instead of soft. I have to always keep your tip in mind. :)

Last edited:

chayil0427

sareca said:
Yep, I don't use more than a quarter size on my whole head.

Yep that's the key...I worked in about 2 dime sized amounts of avocado butter this morning and my hair is really soft and shiny.

Chayil