Phony Ponies & Metal Detectors

preciousjewel76

This is sort of a silly question, but I'd really like to know - so here goes:lol::

I will be traveling by plane tomorrow. If I wear a phony pony (drawstring with small metal combs + hairpins) to the airport, will it set off the metal detectors? The last thing I want is for the TSA agent to make me remove my fake hair for security purposes!

Your thoughts?;)

happycakes

It probably will. It went off on me and I just had some hairpins holding my half wig down :lol: . As long as the metal clip are visible (where they can see it), you should be fine. I would let them know before you get scanned though. HTH

preciousjewel76

pinkopulence said:
It probably will. It went off on me and I just had some hairpins holding my half wig down :lol: . As long as the metal clip are visible (where they can see it), you should be fine. I would let them know before you get scanned though. HTH

Hmmm....I should definitely pack the phony pony in my suitcase instead, then. It's bad enough that they won't let you take liquids and gels on the plane, now The Man is trying to restrict our hairstyles too!:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

gracefulee

I would have never thought of that. I'm so glad you posted this questio, because there's no such thing as a silly question. My avatar? photo is a phony pony that I wear religiously. It looks so natural that I think I would give somebody a heart attack if they saw me take it off and through it in a security bin.:look:

preciousjewel76

gracefulee said:
I would have never thought of that. I'm so glad you posted this questio, because there's no such thing as a silly question. My avatar? photo is a phony pony that I wear religiously. It looks so natural that I think I would give somebody a heart attack if they saw me take it off and through it in a security bin.:look:

Thanks for the support!:lol:

carameldiva

I'll step in. Don't throw rocks at me. I'm a TSA Transportation Security Officer. You are allowed to wear your phony pony. In the event that it causes an alarm (2x in a row) then you will be screened but the screener will just gently pat that area( you will not be required to take it off or remove any pins.

Also, you are allowed to have liquids, gels and aerosols in your carry-on baggage as long as they are in a 3.4 fluid oz (100ml/100g) container or smaller and all items fit in a quart size clear resealable bag aka ziploc.

HTH.

GlamourGirl

preciousjewel76 said:
This is sort of a silly question, but I'd really like to know - so here goes:lol::

I will be traveling by plane tomorrow. If I wear a phony pony (drawstring with small metal combs + hairpins) to the airport, will it set off the metal detectors? The last thing I want is for the TSA agent to make me remove my fake hair for security purposes!

Your thoughts?;)

This happened to my mom while we were traveling on Sunday. Her UPA clip set the alarm off. When they inspected her they passed by her clip. She was paranoid that she would have to take the clip off but thank God she didn't!

Sirens_Song

This thread is cute. LOL. I've been through detectors with a phony pony on and never set off the alarms... never even crossed my mind that I would!

Thank goodness carameldiva stepped in with the info. I'm relieved to know that I wouldn't have to take off my hair (hahahaha!!) in the future. I cannot imagine doing that!

CynamonKis

YES IT WILL!

On several occasions at airports, I was stopped and had to go thru the full search procedure due to my phony pony -- most recently on my way to Jacksonville for my cruise. Also, I have been detained at Federal Courthouses (i am an atty) until they "wanned" my hair, and in once case I had to take my phony pony off! At the airport, this was no big deal for me but at the Courthouse in front of other attorneys it was quite embarrassing.

If I were you I'd wear something else en-route and put the phony pony back on after clearing security.

preciousjewel76 said:

Your thoughts?;)

CynamonKis

This is probably a good idea if you want to avoid the extra searching you may be subjected to....

preciousjewel76 said:
Hmmm....I should definitely pack the phony pony in my suitcase instead, then. It's bad enough that they won't let you take liquids and gels on the plane, now The Man is trying to restrict our hairstyles too!:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

Mz.MoMo5235

my phonies never set off the detector either...

maybe find a cute phoney that has a plastic clip instead??? i dunno lol i would have never thought of this issue since it never went off on me. but i also havent traveled with a phoney in about 4yrs so maybe the detectors are stronger?

no that cant be, because i make my own hair flower clips and i use metal clips and when i went to fl last spring it didnt set anything off... i have no idea lol

Girl don't worry. I'm sitting at DFW airport right now. Nope, you won't set off anything. I also was cool when I got the full body feel up on lieu of the body scanner. Warning though, the do touch the top of your hair.

Sent from my DROIDX using Long Hair Care Forum App

Dposh167

i've worn my hairzing and it went off. It was hiding my tracks cuz i didn't blend it. They mad me take it off....i don't think anyone noticed my tracks tho

janda

I wear my phony pony almost everyday without problems. I've flown with it and being a lawyer I go through metal detectors everyday at the courthouse. They better not try to wand my hair!

SuchaLady

I had my own hair styled once and my bobby pins set it off. The people I traveled with werent too happy since I had to stop and take off everything except my clothes basically. Went thru again and it went off again. :nono:

smwrigh3

I was think about this yesterday! my brother is currently in prison and he wrote me asking to visit and I was wondering if about the search procedures and if I was going to have to take my hair off going into the jailhouse... cuz aint no way I am taking my hair off!