Please post the dumbest thing hairdressers have said to you here

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
My conversation with a person in the hair industry:
Him: Your hair always looks nice everytime I see you.
Me: Thanks, I usually only wear it out on the weekends, I wear it clipped up all week.
Him: *weird look* Why?
Me: Because that's my protective style to protect my ends, to keep them up and off of my clothes/coats that's why.
Him: Protecting your ends? I never heard that you had to do that... they never taught us that in Hair School.
Me: Yeah, that's because they teach you how to DO hair and not how to CARE for it:grin:

Then I changed the subject- THANK GOD HE WAS NOT MY STYLIST:spinning:

chebaby

stylist: what is that you put in your hair
me: leave in conditioner
stylist: what? you only supposed to put in on wet hair
other lady: how long did you leave it in:rolleyes:
me: its a LEAVE in. i left it in
other lady: shaking he head like i was crazy
stylist: i just gave you a relaxer. now im going to have to work with this hair to get it back right.

JustKiya

If it's not burning, it's not working. (One of the three or four perms I got done at a salon).

Oh, girl, come at 10:30 - I'll be able to get you right into a seat then. (Means I need to bring all my advanced Spanish homework - I'll be done before you get ready for me).

Your hair is so COARSE - we are going to need to use Super Strength!! (Actually, it was just resistant and STRONG - my strands are actually fine as all get out)

*sucksteeth* I HATED going to the salon - waste of time, waste of money (cuz my curls would fall out of my poor, limp, overprocessed hair in the first gust of wind), and PAINFUL - and I didn't even think I looked all THAT much better. :nono:

Ivonnovi

You must be my hair twin!!!!!. Ya'think maybe our hair knows best, that's why it responds so poorly to "their styling attempts?"
If it's not burning, it's not working. (One of the three or four perms I got done at a salon).

Oh, girl, come at 10:30 - I'll be able to get you right into a seat then. (Means I need to bring all my advanced Spanish homework - I'll be done before you get ready for me).

Your hair is so COARSE - we are going to need to use Super Strength!! (Actually, it was just resistant and STRONG - my strands are actually fine as all get out)

*sucksteeth* I HATED going to the salon - waste of time, waste of money (cuz my curls would fall out of my poor, limp, overprocessed hair in the first gust of wind), and PAINFUL - and I didn't even think I looked all THAT much better. :nono:

JustKiya

You must be my hair twin!!!!!. Ya'think maybe our hair knows best, that's why it responds so poorly to "their styling attempts?"

:lol: I always say my hair is just as stubborn as I am!!! :lachen:

But yeah - I often speak of my hair in the third person, because she can DEFINITELY speak her mind when I've done something incorrectly. :lol: Loud and CLEAR, in fact.

Blessed_Angel

This thread makes me wanna :lachen: and :cry: - no WONDER black women don't 'think' that they can grow hair, with all the lies, and out and out bullish hair dressers are telling them - and they are supposed to be the ones that KNOW!!!!

:nono: This is a damn shame, seriously.

I agree. And after years of growing my hair myself with braids and pressing to SL and beyond, I knew that I could have nice healthy hair with relaxers, I just didn't know how. But I got tired of the seemingly endless cycle of growth and breakage, that I got desperate and decided that I was gonna find out what the girls with long hair know. I bought Shamboosie's book which I learned a little, but he's a fool too. I learned most of the good things that I know here at LHCF. This website is heaven sent (the only problem that I have is that I didn't find it years earlier). It's changed my "hair" life. I feel so good that I could retain my SL hair and have it get longer and maintain it's health. Thank God. :grin:

Blessed_Angel

I had an "upscale" stylist do my hair. I told her that I didn't want much heat in my hair, but she was too lazy to a rollerset; if she even had rollers. She was boasting about the Jane Carter products, and I asked her if the Nourish & Shine protects hair from heat, and she said yes. But she knew that it didn't. It doesn't say that on the bottle. She just didn't care about my hair.

ETA: I saw another Black stylist last year, and I asked her if my hair was healthy; you know, what is the condition of my hair. She said that it was thick...huh? And then she greased my scalp so much that my perm hardly took; she claims it's cause Affirm is too harsh for the hair...and that I should use Motions instead. She'll never see me again.

Last edited:

natieya

Me: May I have a deep conditioning treatment please?

"Stylist": You see how I'm rubbing in the conditioner good here....you don't need a deep conditioner after I rub this really good in your hair.

Urm..........................sure.

:lachen::lachen: Ok, forgive me for laughing at this, but wow...:look:

Dee_33

Live, Laugh, Love
I was once told that I needed to relax my hair every 4wks. That was the last time I went to her shop. And at $65 a pop for a touch-up/style my wallet and hair is thanking me. Also my hair is now longer with me doing it than it ever was the 6 months that I was going to her.

MD_Lady

My conversation with a person in the hair industry:
Him: Your hair always looks nice everytime I see you.
Me: Thanks, I usually only wear it out on the weekends, I wear it clipped up all week.
Him: *weird look* Why?
Me: Because that's my protective style to protect my ends, to keep them up and off of my clothes/coats that's why.
Him: Protecting your ends? I never heard that you had to do that... they never taught us that in Hair School.
Me: Yeah, that's because they teach you how to DO hair and not how to CARE for it:grin:

Then I changed the subject- THANK GOD HE WAS NOT MY STYLIST:spinning:

:amen: to THAT! :lachen:No one ever seems to be willing to educate people about the power of proper hair care. Oh well, I guess that's what LHCF is for! :drunk:

MonPetite

"You've got too much hair."

"We need to make your hair less thick."

"She didn't need all that hair anyway." (After 4 inches were cut UNEVENLY off my head as a child after my mom stepped out of the shop for an errand).

Blackbird77

I haven't been to a hairdresser in years so I'm going with what my mom's hairdresser told her.

My mom has a bald spot near her right ear. The other day I saw her toying with a relaxer box and asked her why she was about to relax again (her hair did not appear to need another one right then). She said, "My hairdresser told me it's okay to relax every 3 weeks." Now my mom is a person who always has to be right and considers herself the voice of reason and she believes this crap? I find that hard to understand coming from a person who's motto is, "Don't believe everything people tell you.":rolleyes:

She must love that bald spot.

Aviah

Oh, I've got some....
A hairdresser that I went to once said to hold your leg up in the air while the relaxer was burning the scalp to decrease the pain.
She also "scolded" me once for turning the dryer to a lower setting b/c it was too hot for me :(
As if all of that wasn't enough, I finally left her when my hair started breaking off and I asked her why did she think so, and she said "maybe it's b/c I'm scratching your scalp when I wash your hair" :eek:
:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

domniqqt

When I first big chopped I went to this stylist to get my hair flat ironed and my ends trimmed. When I was and cond. my own hair it comes out soft and manageable. First she didn't like my shampoo and conditioner.. because, yes, I did bring my own lol. she told me that my all natural hair care products was damaging my hair and i needed to switch to dudley. then she put some kind of chemical in myhair that made my hair hard as bricks and stuck me under the dryer.. not detangling or nothing just left it in a fro. then she tried to use a small tooth comb in my hair.. i had to stop that quick because i am really tenderheaded. she still manage to have me crying in my chair, used a flat iron and a straightening comb then for the trim she used a razor scissors and just kept on cutting. i was suprised I still lleft out of there with hair on my head. when my hair was to my neck "STRAIGHTENED" i told her that was enough.. I went from shoulder length to necks length in a day... lawd. and she didn't even style my hair I just put some water in it for my hair to fro paid my dues and walked the hecks out of there.

when I went to see my regular stylist she had to undo the damage. Oy!!:wallbash::wallbash: