Please post the dumbest thing hairdressers have said to you here

Ivonnovi

These are good.

I'm amazed by the number of excuses we AAs are told about why our "hair won't grow". OUR FU(K^N hair grows just fine, RETENTION is our problem. Sorry, just had to rant a second.....

Bumpity....Bump:grin:

Last edited:

Lucky's Mom

:eek: It's downright scary what some stylists believe, practice and advise.

I once went to my stylist for an updo. I wanted the least amount of heat on my hair, so I asked him to wet wrap my hair and put me under the dryer. He didn't want to do it, but I wasn't about to let him blowfry my hair. After being under the dryer for an hour and a half, my hair was still very damp, and I'd had enough of it, so I finally agreed to let him blowfry the dampness out. My hair was relaxed at the time and he then used a hotcomb on the new growth. His next step was to marcel my hair. When I questioned him about his use of all that heat, his reply was that he was "thermally styling" my hair. He went on to advise me that he had been doing hair for 12 years. WTF? Did he not think that I knew that thermal = heat??? Further, his 12 years of doing hair was no match for the 30+ years I had lived with my hair. After I thought about it, I believe he had that hood dryer on medium or low to discourage me. Do I need to tell you that I did not return to him after that?

Blowfry:lachen:

That is hilarious!!

I am just convinced that many of the stylists out there are just woefully ignorant.... It almost like a tradition of witch doctors or something! Oral Traditions, and the like.... Anyway- the line - "if you cut it, Itwill grow" is the one I heard all the time..

Total Baloney................

Last edited:

sxyhairfetish

That black people need grease on their scalp and that I wanted to be like the white people because I didnt want anything on my scalp...

Platinum

After reading this entire thread, I have come to the conclusion that I am afraid to go back to a salon. Other than braids or weaves, I don't think I want anyone shampooing, relaxing or styling my hair.:nono:

drika

Oh, I've got some....
A hairdresser that I went to once said to hold your leg up in the air while the relaxer was burning the scalp to decrease the pain.
She also "scolded" me once for turning the dryer to a lower setting b/c it was too hot for me :(
As if all of that wasn't enough, I finally left her when my hair started breaking off and I asked her why did she think so, and she said "maybe it's b/c I'm scratching your scalp when I wash your hair" :eek:

This is the funniest stuff I've read all day...I wonder how many clients she have left with hair.....this thread is great!

KAT25

Brushing your hair all the time makes your hair grow.
When trying to grow hair out from a short cut you keep it cut short to make sure it grows out even :ohwell:

Now, I will admit my last stylist was great but she wanted to cut my hair at every visit and I was not wanting that to happen I was trying to grow it out.

Rae1234

i have read through this entire thread. its amazing how hairstylist don`t know what the hell their talking about. half these hairstylist don`t read things for themselves.

"you have ends, your ends are bad. " :blush: (isn`t hair supposed to have ends)
my hairstylists is scissor happy.

u need a trim every 6 weeks!

u need a perm.

i promise to continue to take care of my own hair. i hardly go to hairstylist anyway.

drika

You almost had good hair :perplexed

:lachen::lachen::lachen:WTH!!

A stylist told me once that whenever I start too se NG that I need to "slap some perm on it" so my hair will grow because nappy hair don't grow!
She also told me, "you don't need no DC that's why they make leave in conditioner, that's the problem now ppl think DC actually do something for 'em" :nono: This was all in ine visit and I never went back!:nono:

sweetsuccess

"honey, you know i couldnt rollerset you, cuz you know it wouldnt be right and them roots would just be too much to handle"

are you freakin serious? i roller set at home all the time, let alone go to the dominicans who rollerset my hair so tight. that man was trippin! havent been back since. he had blowdried my hair so roughly.. but yea, thast my dummbest comment.

SleepyJean

I can't read this thread all the way through. Y'all are making me want to go and tell off every single beautician I had, because I can totally relate to these stories. :nono:

My dumb stylist quotes:

"Girl I can comb relaxer to the tips! It won't hurt nothing."

"I'll give you a texturizer instead of a relaxer this time. It won't hurt nothing!"

"Your hair is too thick! I should give you a Super Perm this time!"

This woman had hair that was an inch long.

I wish my mother would have said something. I was naive and young. I held my tongue too much, because I didn't want "to get an attitude with the stylist" as my mother would put it. :nono: Now, I can walk out those shops on my own...or slap a hot curling iron in their faces.

jk on the last statement. :giggle:

Last edited:

TaurusAngel

The stylist before the current one i go to got on me about waiting 7 weeks for a relaxer. Saying that you can't wait that long because your hair will break off because you're supposed to relax every 4 weeks. Then, when some of her other clients came in, she had the nerve to brag about relaxing my hair so good that it held for 7 weeks. Needless to say, i stopped going to that heifer. And she is my cousin!!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

coconow2007

my hair started to break off after a hairdresser left a relaxer on too long - my mom went to her afterwards and mentioned my hair breaking off and the hairdresser said "I think its breaking off because your daughter is under a lot of stress - she has never told me this but I can sense it" my mom was like wth?

hothair

"Your ends are very dry" let me use these irons [Marcel] to moisturiseit:rolleyes:

That didn't work

"I'll just trim these last 4 inches":ohwell:

vestaluv1

I once overheard a student stylist tell her customer that the burn of the relaxer meant it was working. :eek:

And I've heard this so many times, it's a damn shame. Someone is teaching these girls this.:perplexed
Actually, the first and ONLY time I went to a hairdresser to get my hair relaxed, the girl told me to call her when it starts to burn.:huh: After 10 minutes (and trust me, it only needed to be in there for 10 minutes after she took forever to put it in in the first place), I told her that the front was especially burning. Now the girl does not say, ok lets wash it out, the girl picks up a huge can of CHEMICALLY INFUSED Lusters Pink Sheen Spray and sprays that on my freakin' hairline :brainfog: . (Can I just say, this was about 5/6 years ago, when I thought, 'ooh, the stylists always knows best'). WHATEVER. I did think that was very odd.
She leaves it on for a further 10 minutes, "because it's a regular, not super relaxer, :blah::blah::blah:", and what did I have when I went home...a large, terrible, painful, ugly a$$ chemical burn. I carried on to relax my own hair for years with no problems.:rolleyes:
OK, i'm over it and my hair grew back but I wonder sometimes where these girls get their qualifications...actually, if they have any at all.
I don't think me and salons get on very well.

Last edited:

PassionFruit

After wearing an "Anita Baker" for a few years, a old lady hairdresser told me that my hair would never grow because I had trained it to that length

I aint totally mad cuz she was old as dirt and I wouldnt disrespect an elder like that....

also she is the one who got me hook'd on Henna many years ago so she was only half bad

vestaluv1

Really and truely, what I need to do is seek and find a good stylist, even if I have to travel a bit further from home.
But LAWD KNOWS I'M SCARED, even if people have good things to say about them.

drea3084

When I was natural, I went to a hair stylist for a press and curl. I was a sophmore in college and desperate at the time. Well I ended up with a frizzy, puffy grease full of hair...literally. She couldn't get my hair straight because she didn't know what she was doing! I admit I have some pretty thick hair but I looked a mess. The other stylist in the shop said, "We need to cut an inch of your hair in order to get it straight." I asked "What does that have to do with straighten my hair?"

Like the dumby I was I let her do it and still I had one big frizzy puff of hair on top of my head. She used half of the jar of grease...I didn't know any better and I didn't know what to do. My mom almost screamed when she picked me up from the salon and the island woman came out of her that day.:lachen:

We went home and I had to wash my hair all over again and ask my mom to iron it again. :sad:

Tamrin

unapologetic
These stories are why Im doing my hair myself. I have heard the perm every 4 weeks or it will break off. Please it went from one ear out the other. I went every 2 weeks and every two weeks I would hear it until I was ready at 8 weeks. Im paranoid whenever a stylist hand is in my hair. I even bring my own combs brushes shampoo conditioner and leave in.

People do to us what we allow them to. Plain and simple.

KaramelDiva1978

A stylist and hair braider once told me, "Black women don't need to wash their hair more than once every two weeks. Anything else, is drying and damaging!" Obviously, she doesn't know anything about product and well, since she was practically bald and only worked 3 days a week....:nono::nono:, she was no one I wanted to go to. I just said, oh okay, and said nothing else. :lachen::lachen:

cotyan

my hair is naturally a weird brown, I dye it black and I had one lady tell me "your hair will fall out if you keep coloring it a dark color, you need to go light sometimes too."

HUH?

ajacks

"Black women don't need to wash their hair more than once every two weeks. Anything else, is drying and damaging!"

My previous stylist told me that as well.

She also told me to stop using natural products on my relaxed hair. Hmmmm... I guess that means use products filled with cones and other chemicals on top of my relaxer.
:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Qualitee

-Dirt makes you hair grow:lachen:
-Washing your hair too much will make it fall out:spinning:
-Relaxing and coloring on the same day is better for your hair:spinning:

delitefulmane

"You are natural and you have the nerve to be tender headed" :lachen:
Mind you, I was pretending to be tender headed just so she wouldn't rip through my natural hair!!

"Girl, you are in college, why don't you have a perm already?" -HUH?

LOL. I know human beings have nervous systems :). Just because the hair has no nerves doesn't mean its dead. The sensitivity argument and the nail attached at the bed info thrown in has nothing to do with proof that the hair/nails are alive or dead.

But people can say/believe according to their theories.

I know my view is unpopular. But if the hair stand is attached at the root and the root is soaking up nutrients and the hair is subsequently growing...then it's alive to me. To say the hair follicle is alive but the hair isn't despite the hair being attached is not an explanation I can embrace.

That's like saying the vegetation growing on top of the ground from buried onions and carrots isn't alive but just the root bulb is.

I know folks will think I'm stupid. But I dont' care. My growing hair is alive until it stops growing and falls out. :lol:

but I don't want to hijack this thread ...

so back to the regularly scheduled topic.

I agree with you! I think it's misleading when people say the hair is dead. I know what they mean, but before I found LHCF I thought there was no point to conditioning and treating my hair because it was "dead" anyway! I thought, "how can dead hair be healthy?"

So, hair is a special case! :yep:

KPH

House Head
"KPH, your hair is so soft, when you think it is nappy it is not. Your hair so so nice just like your mom's hair. You have been mistreating it" This was said all the while she was spritzing the life out of my fine strands and frying what i had left to death. I do believe with the proper care, I can have the same hair my grandmother had down my back while in high school.:nono:

Nayeli

Me: May I have a deep conditioning treatment please?

"Stylist": You see how I'm rubbing in the conditioner good here....you don't need a deep conditioner after I rub this really good in your hair.

Urm..........................sure.