Please post the dumbest thing hairdressers have said to you here

ddean

This is a recent convo I had with a stylist who only does my relaxers:

Stylist: "Your hair is growing so well, it's getting so thick and pretty."

Me: "I've been washing & DCing at least once per week, sometimes twice."

Stylist: " :blush: You only need to DC once per month, every 2 weeks at the most, any more than that and you'll rot your hair!!!"

Me: :rolleyes: :ohwell:

Dayjoy

Old School Member

Stylist: " :blush: You only need to DC once per month, every 2 weeks at the most, any more than that and you'll rot your hair!!!"

I guess that hair you have that's "growing so well, getting so thick and pretty" is also rotting.:rolleyes:

Mine are: "Your ends aren't bad at all," as she proceeds to cut off my 1 1/2 inches of progress.:wallbash:

"I have to clip your ends because your hair is dry from the highlights." They are dry, not split. Give me a DC, not scissors!

SparklingFlame

Now your hair is like a plant and it will get root rot! :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:OH LAWD!!!

Stiletto_Diva

Stylist: just tell me when it starts to burn (disappears and goes to another client)

Me: (few minuts later) okay, i'm sarting to feel it

Stylist: alright i'll sent my assistant over to wash you out

Stylist: (10 minutes later) she still hasn't washed you out? ( proceeds to ask her fellow stylist were the assistant went, no one knows)

Me: (on the verge of tears) okay it just needs to get washed out now)

Stylist: oh theres my assistant, girl wash her out

the assistant then proceeds to wash my hair out. as she washes she is vigorously rubbing my scalp, causing me extreme pain because of the new sores in my head.

needless to say, i had about four huge sores on my head by the end of the 6 hour process.

And that my friends is the day i decided to transition.

FineChyna

"oh the only reason why her hair is long is cause she has good hurr. your hair can't grow like that."

mind you the person this stylist was saying had "good hair" had the same texture hair as the other woman who complimented her hair. :nono:

Platinum

Stylist told me "Your hair is so thick and strong. I'm going to have to leave this relaxer on for atleast an hour to 'break it down' ".:perplexed

I had SL, bleached hair back in '98 and I wanted a relaxer. I was scared to do it myself so I went to a stylist. Stylist used a SUPER strength. (I guess because my hair was thick and coarse). So within a few days, I went from SL to "Fantasia" length.:blush:

discobiscuits

when i used to have my hair super short, i went in for a touch up. the relaxer was burning reeeeeeeely bad. she said: "it's tracking me". :eek: :confused: basically, she meant that each time she ran the comb though my hair, over my scalp the relaxer "followed". yeah right. i had sense enough to know that you are not supposed to comb relaxer through hair and definitely not on the scalp. that was the 1st and last time she did that.

diligence

The dumbest and biggest lie I ever heard was "I'll be with you in a few minutes":lachen::lachen::lachen:.

This reminds me of the time my hairdresser (back in the day) proceeded to explain to me that the reason why she was able to "take me straight through" was because I showed up late. While she was really good, it did seem odd that that day I didn't spend my usual 4 hours for a press and curl. She got me out of there in about an hour that day, but made sure I understood why. The way she explained it was as though I had questioned getting out of there so quickly. I ran out of there (while doing the cabbage patch) like I had just stolen somethin'! :lachen:

seraphim712

A stylist in the past told me that I had "stunted" (sp?) hair and it wouldn't grow to or past my shoulders. This is when I was transitioning and my hair was neck length. I figured the reason was because she was cutting my hair when I asked for a trim.

I left her a while back and now my hair is past my shoulders in length.

SleepyJean

A stylist in the past told me that I had "stunted" (sp?) hair and it wouldn't grow to or past my shoulders. This is when I was transitioning and my hair was neck length. I figured the reason was because she was cutting my hair when I asked for a trim.

I left her a while back and now my hair is past my shoulders in length.

You told her!

Mortons

Blow drying is not damaging :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter if its burning it needs to sit at least 10 minutes:wallbash:

The burning is not that bad, I dont know why people act like it is :eek: (from a lady with relaxed hair, the HEAD of the salon :eek:)

Cassandra1975

This thread is just...WOW! I started reading it last night, and I fell asleep. I had to open it again when I was getting ready for work, and I just finished reading it now at work. The question for me is, what are they learning at cosmotology school? What kind of filter do they have that, when they are told one thing, they interpret it as the crazy *** advice I see in this thread???

SimpleKomplexity

Your hair is sooo frizzy at the ends because someone hasn't allowed the perm to toutch the ends enough while relaxin.

Your hair will always grow to the same length of your mother, not any longer

To grow your hair out you must wear it in a wrap

You should wash your hair every week not every 3 days!! You dun have white people hair!

Heat from the dryer encourages your hair to grow

When you hold off on relaxers to save money, your hair will break off and you'll be worse than when you started.

InnerSoul

oh your front hair line keeps receding.
oh this is your weak area (my crown would constantly break)

her relaxing me bone straight was the culprit.. not me!

silverdrmr

I knew there was a reason I've been so hesitant to find a new stylist since I've moved to a new city. Even my own was borderline but at least she listened.

NEVER EVER AGAIN!!!

I'm doing just find on my own, thank you very much!

RegaLady

I was going to a stylist to get my hair done and cut. Well, I missed like two weeks not going to her, and her shampoo girl told me, "Where have you been? Why haven't you been here in a while? What, you think you have 'good hair' or somethin', where you can just skip a perm?":look: I wasn't sure what to say. I guess she couldn't understand how I could not run to the shop, when I got new growth, because I had 'bad hair'!:rolleyes:

cupcakes

1. trims will grow my hair
2. products with mineral oil are good for my hair
3. leave in's only work on wet hair
4. always wanting to blowdry my hair with no heat protectant
5. leaving the perm in way too long
6. roughly shampooing my hair tangling it up and then looking at me like its my fault when it comes time to detangle

this is why i am doing my hair myself from now on:perplexed
and part of the reason why i want 2 transition

Last edited:

Writer100

Your hair is sooo frizzy at the ends because someone hasn't allowed the perm to toutch the ends enough while relaxin.

Your hair will always grow to the same length of your mother, not any longer

To grow your hair out you must wear it in a wrap

You should wash your hair every week not every 3 days!! You dun have white people hair!

Heat from the dryer encourages your hair to grow

When you hold off on relaxers to save money, your hair will break off and you'll be worse than when you started.

Sounds like it's trying to get away :lachen:

I've had such a hard time with beauticians and my home perms that it is just a wonder I still have hair. However, I have one lady that I would go to periodically and she prefers to work with natural hair. She would even laugh and say that other beauticians would ask her how she made any money encouraging her customers to go natural. To say I love this woman like a sister is an understatement.

TigerSong

"You can't put your hair in braids, it'll all break off. Braids stretch the hair and that makes you think it's growing"

Me -> So why did my hair grow to waist length back when I exclusively wore braids?

Her -> Because your hair was different back then. It won't grow that long any more. :wallbash:

cocosweet

"I can't get your hair that straight because you need a perm." :rolleyes:
I'd have been like, "No you can't get my hair straight because you have no skills." :giggle:

When I was going to salons, I heard many of the gems found in this thread.

Last edited:

malibu4590

I'd have been like, "No you can't get my hair straight because you have no skills." :giggle:

When I was going to salons, I heard many of the gems found in this thread.

I wish I could've Coco. I was 15 at the time and my mom was there shaking her head in aggreance. I haven't stepped on foot in a salon since then.

silverdrmr

"You can't put your hair in braids, it'll all break off. Braids stretch the hair and that makes you think it's growing"

Me -> So why did my hair grow to waist length back when I exclusively wore braids?

Her -> Because your hair was different back then. It won't grow that long any more. :wallbash:

:lachen:Seriously?

I'm really afraid now. :nono: and they still have clients... not necessarily with hair but still...

Here's one: Grease your scalp every day. It's good for the hair, that's how you know it's moisturized. It has to sit there for at least a couple of weeks for your hair to grow.

JustKiya

This thread makes me wanna :lachen: and :cry: - no WONDER black women don't 'think' that they can grow hair, with all the lies, and out and out bullish hair dressers are telling them - and they are supposed to be the ones that KNOW!!!!

:nono: This is a damn shame, seriously.