POLL: Do You Pre-poo?

Do you pre-poo?

• I pre-poo before every wash. I do it religiously.

Votes: 47 32.6%
  • I pre-poo occassionally

Votes: 60 41.7%
  • I never pre-poo

Votes: 37 25.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vtoodler

Do you pre-poo your hair before shampooing?

If so, what do you use, and do you frequently change your pre-poo conditioner/ recipe?

How has pre-pooing affected the overall health of your hair? Has it made your hair desire more protein in order to maintain the moisture/ protein balance?

For those who don't pre-poo: why? Do you not think that it's effective, or have you had any negative experiences while doing it in the past?

*SkolarStar*

I pre-poo with an oil combination. Amla, wheat germ, castor, olive, tea tree, eucalyptus, and other oils I need to use up. :lol: I change it depending on what's running out. As for the impact on my hair, it has a lot more natural shine and it's stronger.

LaidBak

Lately I've been using oils. Wheat germ, coconut, avocado, grapeseed, whatever I have lying around. But in the past I used Umberto pre-shampoo collagen treatment. Since using the oil I've noticed my hair is very soft.

ATLcutey20

When I started my hair journey I did, but not anymore.

Now, I do a dry hair DC before I shampoo.

The only reason I stopped was due to plain 'ol laziness. :look: That is also why I do a Dry hair DC so I don't have to hop in & out the shower.

virtuenow

I always pre-poo thanks to the person who started the "you need a moisture drenched pre-poo" thread. They shared Chicoro's recipe and after one try it was hard to resist the butter-moist feel it gave me. And like atlcutey20 I also just plain did not want to get in and out of the shower, so I also put deep conditioner on top of the pre-poo and rinse it all out as my co-wash.

SuchaLady

I called myself pre-pooing once with some oil my hair was angry. Now only if I'm in the mood I will slather some conditioner on my hair for a few minutes if it was flat ironed.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I recently purchased some Pre-Poo Treatments during Black Friday and I'm strictly a Cowashing and/or Co-Cleanser. (I rarely use Shampoo)

I've been using one that's Green Tea & Caffiene. I also purchased a Butter Creme one & one with Herbs.:lick:

So, I will be trying these out before Co-Washing or when I use a Cleansing Conditioner.

I Voted "Occasionally" Since I just incorporated them into my Regi

coracaox

I pre poo with coconut oil. I
Think it's great for my scalp. I get flakes around my Hair line and the oil seems to Keep that at bay longer. As for my hair I think it softens my hair a lot.

starchgirl

I always pre-poo thanks to the person who started the "you need a moisture drenched pre-poo" thread. They shared Chicoro's recipe and after one try it was hard to resist the butter-moist feel it gave me. And like atlcutey20 I also just plain did not want to get in and out of the shower, so I also put deep conditioner on top of the pre-poo and rinse it all out as my co-wash.

Ditto for the moisture drenched pre-poo. I love the super soft way my hair feels after adding this step. Sometimes, I'll do it overnight and my hair loves that even more.

menina

Believing the book of Revelations
i will prepoo with oil, honey, conditioner, or all of them mixed together. for me it's a replacement to dcing after shampooing or cowashing.

springy_curly

I've recently started dry detangling before every wash with a mix of coconut, olive and castor oil. while detangling, I massage the oil into my scalp and let it sit then add ORS along the length of my hair and sit under a heating cap. My hair so moisturized after that I sometimes skip the DC after washing my hair (when I'm lazy :look:).

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Not anymore. When I had damaged relaxed hair, pre-pooing was my hairs savior. As a natural, I don't see the need to do it at all.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@southerncitygirl

I got the Buttercreme one from Shi-Naturals (ESTY)
The Herbal one from "It's Perfectly Natural" (ESTY)
and the Green Tea & Caffiene one from another Vendor on Esty

Silk Dreams also has one, but I haven't tried SD's *yet*

I had one from Burt's Bees but Swapped it.

CurlsBazillion

I do it every once and awhile when I feel like my hair is extra dry. I prepooed on dry hair with grapeseed and sweet almond oil recently for a few hours and my hair was super moist and soft just from that.

Ann0804

Do you pre-poo your hair before shampooing? Yes

If so, what do you use, and do you frequently change your pre-poo conditioner/ recipe?
I change it up often. I use raw honey and castor oil, or honey, castor oil, and conditioner, or AO, or MJ super sweetback with castor oil, or I use several natural oils. I always sit with a plastic cap on, and a silk scarf for 30 minutes or for a few hours.

How has pre-pooing affected the overall health of your hair? Has it made your hair desire more protein in order to maintain the moisture/ protein balance?
My hair loves pre-poos, I get fewer tangles after I'm done shampooing/conditioning. It doesn't impact my moisture/protein balance since my natural, undyed hair dislikes too much protein. I only use protein once a month (that's only because I didn't realize that all of MJ's products have protein and I have a ton to use up).

For those who don't pre-poo: why? Do you not think that it's effective, or have you had any negative experiences while doing it in the past?

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
I pre-poo before every wash with a protein conditioner, either Aphogee 2 minute or Motions CPR.
I used to prepoo with oil, then shampoo, then proteinate, and then DC but after a while, I got tired of constantly hopping in and out of the shower. Prepooing with protein has helped strengthen my hair while simplifying my regimen and letting me waste less time, energy and water.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I don't pre-poo in the traditional sense per se but I use oil to detangle my hair. I then immediately hop in the shower. Pre-detangling before washing has cut down on post-wash tangles. The Silk Dreams Pre is designed for pre-pooing and works great but I love it so much that I use it as hair fragrance. I rather keep that goodness in my hair vs. washing it out. :yep:

choctaw

Yes
Pre-poo recipe: varies according to current needs of hair. I usually mix conditioner with oils and ayurvedic powders.
Result: My hair is healthier
Protein: I usually use light protein conditioner followed by moisturizing conditioner after each shampoo.

Anne26

panda
I plan to start, but voted never... It sounds liek a hot-oil treatment though...

It can be a 2 in 1 process. :p A hot oil treatment and a pre-poo!

To answer: I just oil my hair aswell (coconut/EVOO). And scalp with castor oil for growth.

I pre-poo about half the time I wash my hair.

dinarine

I pre-poo every wash with warmed coconut oilfor at least an hour..Just makes washing a lot better because my hair detangles better so I have less breakage while washing ..and it feels a lot soft after you wash

jhcprincess

I do once in a while; if I detangle my hair after weeks of being in braids it helps if I saturate the braids while combing them out. I use cantu shea butter leave in