The Art of a good Pre-Poo

joytimes10

I have read about pre-pooing in so many different ways and I'm so confused. So I have some questions for those of you who pre-poo and get better results that when you don't.

What do you use to pre-poo? oil, condish, protein, a mix, ect.

What is your main goal when you pre-poo? Moisture, strenght, both, ect.

For how long do you pre-poo? 20 mins., 1 hr, overnight ect.

TIA. I'm still a newbie trying to learn all the tricks of the LHCF:look:

naturalgurl

I'm glad you posted this. You know what I've realized. There's a fine line between prepoo and DC'ing. When I put EVOO/honey on my hair, baggy and leave from 1 hour to overnight on my hair, is that a DC or prepoo???

ETA~ I know I"ve been here a long time, but still, is the difference using conditioner because that mixture is considered to be a moisturizing condish...

naturalgurl

I thought about heat with the DC. Maybe that's the difference. I'll sit under the thermal heat cap for about 30 minutes but I leave the mixture on as long as I like. So is that the difference? Do people use indirect heat to prepoo?

ETA~ I don't mean to hijack your thread...

PinkPebbles

When I first started out on my hair journey I used to pre-poo with Amla oil. I applied the Amla oil to my scalp and put a plastic cap on for 30 min. Shampoo and then DC with heat.

I used to pre-poo because it helped combat the dryness from shampoo.
Now that I use a moisturizing poo without harsh ingredient there is no need for me to pre-poo.

I may give myself a hot oil treatment occasionally when my scalp is dry and itchy.

TeaKyoo

This is a good topic. I am not a believer in pre-poo. Okay my hair is dirty...I am going to but moisturizer or fortifier in my hair then shampoo it out..then put more conditioner in my hair to do the same thing.

I am not a shampooer really though. BUT if my shampoo is gentle (non stripping) why would I have to add that pre-poo step? When I do my monthly clarifying treatment I have so much junk in my hair (oils, conditioner build up, styling aids, growth aids etc) that I think that is my pre-poo.

Here are some great links:
http://www.afrobella.com/2008/03/28/do-you-pre-poo/
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/archive/index.php/t-102319.html

I might see if there are more pre-poo in the archieves.

TQ

Barbara

Princess
When I first started out on my hair journey I used to pre-poo with Amla oil. I applied the Amla oil to my scalp and put a plastic cap on for 30 min. Shampoo and then DC with heat.

I used to pre-poo because it helped combat the dryness from shampoo.
Now that I use a moisturizing poo without harsh ingredient there is no need for me to pre-poo.

I may give myself a hot oil treatment occasionally when my scalp is dry and itchy.

All you have to do is add oil to the shampoo, and that will eliminate the pre-poo method.

MissMusic

What do you pre-poo with? I pre-poo with oil and have been doing so for a good while. Started out with EVOO, then coconut and now amla oil.

What is my main goal? When when I first started pre-pooing it was to combat the effects of shampoo and now it is a must before using my ayurvedic powders.

For how long do you pre-poo? I pre-poo at least 8 hours, that can be overnight or all day.

Here's a link to my blog-post on this very subject: http://fromshorttolong.blogspot.com/2008/12/hair-care-101-pre-poo.html

blessedandlucky

i prepoo with sweet almond oil and leave it on overnight and wash it out the next day. i use a shampoo (sls free, vegan) and then conditioner as usual. i started before i joined the boards. my stylist recommended it to me, i forget why; all i know is that it works for me.

joytimes10

I thought about heat with the DC. Maybe that's the difference. I'll sit under the thermal heat cap for about 30 minutes but I leave the mixture on as long as I like. So is that the difference? Do people use indirect heat to prepoo?

ETA~ I don't mean to hijack your thread...

You're so NOT hijacking. You're asking all the right questions. Can a pre-poo and a DC be the same thing, heat or no heat?

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I pre-poo with olive or amla oil overnight. I have never used conditioner or any other mix. I find that now that I pre-poo, I detangle my hair more easily before my wash without any breakage at all. I even "pre-retouch" with olive oil:yep:. My hair just feels better overall since I included oils and pre-pooing in my regimen. It is also thicker I find.

joytimes10

I pre-poo with olive or amla oil overnight. I have never used conditioner or any other mix. I find that now that I pre-poo, I detangle my hair more easily before my wash without any breakage at all. I even "pre-retouch" with olive oil:yep:. My hair just feels better overall since I included oils and pre-pooing in my regimen. It is also thicker I find.

Thanks. This is helpful. Maybe this is the key to easy detangling.

Hmmmm. Just finished reading a long thread on oil infusing... I'm intrigued.

Keep chiming in ladies. TIA

naturalgurl

I think this is why my hair is so easy to detangle as well. I DC with oils, I use castile soap which is made from oils and I seal my hair everyday with oils. Oils are the bomb!!! USE THEM!

Napp

Ms. Nobody
i still dont see the real purpose of a pre poo. is it another name for hot oil treatment without heat? i dont like oils in my hair anyway.

MissMusic

I keep forgetting that oiling is what makes my detangling easy. Yea, this makes it supper easy to detangle before washing and even after the whole washing process is done my hair is still detangled.

chebaby

i normally pre poo overnight with moisture. right now im in love with the results i get from carols daughter black vanilla smoothie.
my goal when i pre poo is to get boo koo amounts of moisture because i usually do a protein treatment every week as well.
when i dont pre poo i can def. tell the difference. pre pooing overnight makes sure that the conditioner seeps in the hair strands. i've dont it before for a couple of hours and that good too but i prefer overnight.

Lucky's Mom

I do think that there is an art to Pre pooing. It has changed my hair tremendously.

What do you use to pre-poo?
Cycle 1: protien
cycle 2: Hot oil
Cycle 3: Moisture
Cycle 4 Henna/Cassia

What is your main goal when you pre-poo?
Moisture or Strength.
For how long do you pre-poo?
Minimum 1 hour with heat - or overnight.

I always POST condition with MOISTURE ONLY at least 1 hour after shampooing.

joytimes10

I do think that there is an art to Pre pooing. It has changed my hair tremendously.

Cycle 4 Henna/Cassia

Moisture or Strength.

This is helpful. Thank you. Sound like you've got a great regi going... I so want a good regi. Lately I'm all over the place trying to deal with this NG..:rolleyes:

darlingdiva

I pre-poo with Burt's Bees Avocado Butter Pre-Shampoo hair treatment. I put a plastic bag on my head and let it sit for an hour. I used to do it overnight, but it was too much moisture.

I pre-poo to obtain extra moisture and to provide a barrier between my hair and the shampoo.

Kiki82

Cycle 4 Henna/Cassia

Moisture or Strength.

This sounds awesome!!!

sqzbly1908

I think prepooing/dc on dry hair is interchangeable (when it comes to me) I alternate between coconut oil and AO GPB on the nights before I shampoo and I leave them in overnight...I have noticed a substantial difference as I have had less breakage and also I save time by not hopping in and out of the shower - I would shampoo the "prepoo" out and follow up with either Kenra MC or Keraphix

ShantWhite

OP, I’m also glad you posted this because I’m a firm believer in testing stuff to find out how it works or why it works for me

I never heard of pre-pooing before joining LHCF in June. So when I decided to try it, my method was to mix ORS Hair Mayo, EVOO, Coconut Oil, Almond Oil and a bit of Glycerin together and apply it on dry hair for 2hrs. under a plastic cap. I then proceed to co-wash with a moisturizing conditioner, then apply ORS Replinishing and sit under the dryer with a plastic cap on for 15-20min. I’d done this for 3 months. Straight and it REALLY works for me!

I know this because for the next 3 months I began washing with a moisturizing shampoo, then a quick co-wash with a moisturizing conditioner before applying ORS Replinishing and sitting under the dryer.

Now I’m back to pre-pooing. When I stopped, I had more tangles, dryness and breakage than when I was doing it. I honestly believe it gives my hair the right amount of heavy protein (ORS Mayo) and light protein (ORS Replinishing) it needs on wash days since I moisturize with a leave-in (NTM Silk Touch ) twice a day during the week and seal with either coconut or olive oil.

With pre-pooing, I have great slip and can definitely stretch my relaxers for 12-14 weeks easy. Also, I began to add 3 pumps of Hair One (generic WEN from Sally’s :yep:) which makes detangling an absolute breeze!