POLL: Do You Pre-poo?

Do you pre-poo?

• I pre-poo before every wash. I do it religiously.

Votes: 47 32.6%
  • I pre-poo occassionally

Votes: 60 41.7%
  • I never pre-poo

Votes: 37 25.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MsDes

Nope...like someone else said I just keep it simple. I use to do it but then got lazy.

PJaye

I don’t pre-poo because there is no need since I prefer to DC after shampooing (plus, I don’t like putting anything other than water and a cleanser on soiled, product-laden hair).

moonglowdiva

Do you pre-poo your hair before shampooing?Not anymore. I cut all my relaxed hair off and I really don't need to prepoo. When I was relaxed I did it before every wash.

If so, what do you use, and do you frequently change your pre-poo conditioner/ recipe? In the beginning, I would use Vo5 cheapie conditioners and toward the end of my relaxed day I was just oil it wil Sweet Almond or whatever I had to use.

How has pre-pooing affected the overall health of your hair? Probably not, I just made me feel like I was really doing something. I may have been a buffer because I was using shampoo but have since quit that practice. Has it made your hair desire more protein in order to maintain the moisture/ protein balance? I really couldn't tell if it made any difference.

I stop doing the pre poo step because I am lazy and I wasn't reaping any benefits from it. I also do not use shampoo too often, in fact, my hair behaves violently when I do use it so I don't. But I would suppose that it is a good buffer because the shampoo can be so drying and stripping of the natural oils in the hair that you would probably need something to combat the extreme dryness from the shampoos. If you only cowash, then you really don't need to pre poo because it becomes redundant and unnecessary manipulation. This is just my humble opinion.:yep:

AyannaDivine

I always pre-poo overnight. My fav oils are safflower and avocad, but I've also used grapeseed and sweet almond. My hair is buttery soft every time. I noticed that i no longer need to condition after washing when i pre-poo.

EbonyCPrincess

Do you pre-poo your hair before shampooing? Yes, I apply oil to my scalp and hair and cover with two plastic caps, a satin bonnet and either a twist turban or beret to generate body heat.

If so, what do you use, and do you frequently change your pre-poo conditioner/ recipe? I previously used warmed EVCO, but changed to Hemp Seed Oil (ceramides) about 4 months ago and have been using it ever since. I only prepoo with oils and so my "recipe" rarely changes.

How has pre-pooing affected the overall health of your hair? Has it made your hair desire more protein in order to maintain the moisture/ protein balance? Prepooing has helped my hair tremendously. Since I now use Hemp Oil, I will focus on that. My hair feels smoother, accepts protein better, and is shinier since beginning to prepoo with Hemp oil. It helps to lubricate my hair when removing shed hair and detangling from that week's style.

For those who don't pre-poo: why? Do you not think that it's effective, or have you had any negative experiences while doing it in the past? N/A.

FYI, I am 4b relaxed with full APL/BSB length hair.

iri9109

i pre-poo before every wash. sometimes i use condish, sometimes i use aloe vera and coconut oil...even a dry DC before washing i consider an oil...i'm not really too concerned about shampoos stripping my hair b/c i dont use shampoos that are that harsh, but i usually detangle my hair before i wash it, and use the oil/condish to help me detangle and usually leave it on for a while so it doubles as a pre-poo.

testimony777

I don't pre poo anymore. I stopped after the birth of my first child because I didn't have time to do it. I fully intended to start doing it again but then I noticed that there was no difference in my hair whether I did it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

LiftedUp

I sometimes do it. Honestly it's sheer laziness as to why I don't always do it.

For me, prepooing gives me that extra moisture and this reduces breakage.

I prepoo with a hot oil treatment of castor oil and olive oil.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I used to pre-poo with a ceramide oil ( rice bran or hempseed) every wash, for at least an hour. It definitely improved my hair, more elastic, less breakage held moisture better. The healthier my hair became though, the less I found I needed it. Now I do it every 3rd wash or so, and I apply a paste of tumeric powder, tea-tree oil and a little water to my scalp.

LoveBeautyKisses

Thanks ladies I def will begin pre pooing again because I have shed a lot recently.
So glad paved my tuition for LHCF UNIVERSITY :lol:

vtoodler

Yes. My hair was triple processed at the time so I had to do as much conditioning as possible to keep it from falling out. After a while I just said **** it and started transitioning.

B_Phlyy

How was it triple-processed?

Also, did you use a lot of protein at the time? (such as Aphogee's 2-step treatment)?

Last edited:

vtoodler

Do you pre-poo your hair before shampooing? Yes

If so, what do you use, and do you frequently change your pre-poo conditioner/ recipe?
I change it up often. I use raw honey and castor oil, or honey, castor oil, and conditioner, or AO, or MJ super sweetback with castor oil, or I use several natural oils. I always sit with a plastic cap on, and a silk scarf for 30 minutes or for a few hours.

How has pre-pooing affected the overall health of your hair? Has it made your hair desire more protein in order to maintain the moisture/ protein balance?
My hair loves pre-poos, I get fewer tangles after I'm done shampooing/conditioning. It doesn't impact my moisture/protein balance since my natural, undyed hair dislikes too much protein. I only use protein once a month (that's only because I didn't realize that all of MJ's products have protein and I have a ton to use up).

For those who don't pre-poo: why? Do you not think that it's effective, or have you had any negative experiences while doing it in the past?

Ann0804

What protein do you use? And what is MJ?

Last edited:

I'm a lurker here. I prepoo with coconut oil and or castor oil for an hour to overnight before shampooing which I learned here. Usually while cleaning the house. I shampoo my head only avoiding my length. Makes my hair soft n shiny. I'm WL

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

manter26

It's kinda odd to ask why someone doesn't do something as if doing it is the norm...in this case I don't know if it is. I keep it simple...never really felt a need for all those extra steps. I just wash and condition.

Last edited:

Ann0804

@ Vtoodler regarding: What protein do you use? And what is MJ?

Miss Jessie's products -all of their products have protein. I'm using the Super Sweetback Treatment. It's a deep conditioner with a hair growth ingredient in it.

xcuzememiss

I used to pre-poo all the time.. but its been so long.. I forgot the results! in order for me to see the benefits, I'd have to pre-poo and not DC, to see how it comes out

NaturalEnigma

I stopped pre-pooing after I went natural. I just recently started pre-pooing again and I could see a big difference in my hair. My hair is softer, less tangled and more moisturized. I have a prepoo in my hair as I type. I separated my prepoo into a deep conditioning session. I used to prepoo on dry hair, sit under my hooded dryer and then wash, condition etc. Now I prepoo on dry hair, sit under my steamer rinse apply leave ins and style. I used to wash my hair every week I replaced one of the washes with my prepoo/deep conditioning session. My hair is much more moisturized because of it.

vtoodler

I stopped pre-pooing after I went natural. I just recently started pre-pooing again and I could see a big difference in my hair. My hair is softer, less tangled and more moisturized. I have a prepoo in my hair as I type. I separated my prepoo into a deep conditioning session. I used to prepoo on dry hair, sit under my hooded dryer and then wash, condition etc. Now I prepoo on dry hair, sit under my steamer rinse apply leave ins and style. I used to wash my hair every week I replaced one of the washes with my prepoo/deep conditioning session. My hair is much more moisturized because of it.

NaturalEngima

What do you pre-poo with?

xcuzememiss

xcuzememiss

Wait. Can you not pre-poo and deep condition as well? Does pre-pooing mean that you don't have to deep condition?
I'm not exactly sure if i understand your question.. but, i will say that when i pre-poo.. I'll use an oil on my scalp and conditioner on the hair.. if i don't want to dc I'll mix a small amount of protein condish with a largger amount of moisturizing conditioner. that way i don't have to DC, I'll just use a good moisturizing instant conditioner.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
B_Phlyy

How was it triple-processed?

Also, did you use a lot of protein at the time? (such as Aphogee's 2-step treatment)?

vtoodler

When I was triple processed, I had a relaxer, then I bleached and dyed it red. Two weeks later, I added some black when I got tired of the red. Then I did the Herbal Essences Shine treatment a week later. Total hair meltdown from there.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@B_Phlyy

I totally understand.:yep:

Being Triple-Processed at the Hands of a Crazy Stylist is what lead me to LHCF.:blush:

And I get it about the Hair Meltdown.:sad:

xcuzememiss

I will say that I stopped pre-pooing bc I strted using heat alot...
Now wait, let me explain...
I'm double processed (relaxed and highlights) so i need more protein. Well when I was getting weekly wash and sets i would pre-poo, but now that i do my hair at home with a blow dryer and flat iron I use a lot more heat protectant... which means slightly more build up. When I do my treatments I want it to penetrate the shaft, i just can't see that happening with all the silicone based heat protectants I use. So pre-pooing would be wasting more product.
If I notice that I didn't use a lot of products then i'll pre-poo, bc it would actually be beneficial.

MissAlinaRose

When I started my hair journey I did, but not anymore.

Now, I do a dry hair DC before I shampoo.

The only reason I stopped was due to plain 'ol laziness. :look: That is also why I do a Dry hair DC so I don't have to hop in & out the shower.

I was ready to respond until I read your post. You literally took the words out of my mouth (re:the bolded part)! I stopped out of laziness and because I never saw a difference. I also like to be able to get into the shower and get out.

sharifeh

I try to remember to do so every wash. My hair is much softer when I do so. I noticed the difference when I forgot about it one time.

vtoodler

I was ready to respond until I read your post. You literally took the words out of my mouth (re:the bolded part)! I stopped out of laziness and because I never saw a difference. I also like to be able to get into the shower and get out.

I wonder if those who don't benefit from pre-pooing have already achieved a balance between moisture and protein. Maybe that's why they don't need to do it. However, someone with parched tresses might actually benefit from pre-pooing.

Last edited:

Mische

I pre-poo, but not consistently. I tend to do it if I'm trying to straighten a curly style before shampooing. I'll slather on conditioner and oil in sections to loosen the curls. Like other posters have already said, I'm too lazy to do it all the time and I haven't noticed a significant difference in my post wash hair when I do it.

discodumpling

I do. It usually consists of just a heavy deep oiling ,occasionally and if needed ill add some conditioner.

Droid baby!

Beverly Ann Properties

I pre-poo on dry hair with coconut oil and grapeseed oil. Sometimes I use conditioners if I don't like them to use them up. Pre-pooing overnight or at least an hour, makes my hair tangle free and gives it protection from the shampoo. I pre-poo all the time.