Porosity for natural hair?

samanthathebrave

Would there be benefits to using porosity control products on hair that is not chemically treated? I do use heat and a small section of my hair is relaxed (sew-in leave out) Can anyone recommend any leave-products used for porosity?

hannan

You can do an acid vinegar rinse after you've cowashed or rinsed your deep conditioner. Mix a couple tablespoons of acv per cup of water and rinse it throughout your hair before you leave the shower/sink. Or you could add a couple of tablespoons of aloe vera juice to your leave in bottle (i.e. the kimmay-tube leave in). Both of these are acidic enough to close your cuticle. You are more than welcome to change the proportions to fit your hair. I've tried the Roux porosity control conditioner and the chemical-ly smell was giving me headaches. I much prefer the first method. :)

Last edited:

yorkpatties

That porosity control is useless for me now that I am natural. My hair hasn't been very porous. I use the kimmaytube leave-in after every cowash or wash.

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
I use John Frieda Clear Glaze (pH 3.5) everytime I wash/cowash. Closes my cuticles and gives great shine. I like it better than Roux PC, ACV and aloe vera. My hair doesn't like ACV and aloe. And I don't like PC.

SEMO

I've been using Roux Porosity Control shampoo for over a decade and my natural hair loves it! Surprisingly, even more than my relaxed hair did. I feel like I should be a spokesperson because it's my number one favorite product of all time. I use it at every shampoo.

BostonMaria

I wish I knew the answer. I'm just bumping for more responses.

SEMO do you use the Roux Porosity Control conditioner as well? I was thinking of buying this at Sally's.

SEMO

I wish I knew the answer. I'm just bumping for more responses.

@SEMO do you use the Roux Porosity Control conditioner as well? I was thinking of buying this at Sally's.
@BostonMaria

I do have the Porosity Control conditioner, but I don't use it a ton b/c the consistency is very thin. It doesn't mean it doesn't work, I just prefer creamier conditioners. And if I had to choose between the two I would always go for the shampoo. Also, I often use only the PC shampoo and not the PC conditioner (choosing a different conditioner instead). It's not been hard for me to find a number of good conditioners that I like, but nothing comes close to the Porosity Control shampoo (for me). It was reformulated in the last 18 months and I actually like the new formula better. That never happens usually when products get reformulated. The "new and improved" version is almost always trash (often with cheaper ingredients).

So, for me, I don't have to use the PC shampoo and conditioner together to get the best results. And in my opinion, the shampoo does the most work. It moisturizes my hair (believe it or not) better than many other conditioners I've tried. I actually detangle my hair with the PC shampoo in my hair, rather than with conditioner.

Can you tell that I love this product? :lol:

Last edited:

BostonMaria

@BostonMaria

I do have the Porosity Control conditioner, but I don't use it a ton b/c the consistency is very thin. It doesn't mean it doesn't work, I just prefer creamier conditioners. And if I had to choose between the two I would always go for the shampoo. Also, I often use only the PC shampoo and not the PC conditioner (choosing a different conditioner instead). It's not been hard for me to find a number of good conditioners that I like, but nothing comes close to the Porosity Control shampoo (for me). It was reformulated in the last 18 months and I actually like the new formula better. That never happens usually when products get reformulated. The "new and improved" version is almost always trash (often with cheaper ingredients).

So, for me, I don't have to use the PC shampoo and conditioner together to get the best results. And in my opinion, the shampoo does the most work. It moisturizes my hair (believe it or not) better than many other conditioners I've tried. I actually detangle my hair with the PC shampoo in my hair, rather than with conditioner.

Can you tell that I love this product? :lol:

I'm sold! Now I want the shampoo. I'll grab the conditioner too and hope I like it.