Pre or Post Wash Oil Treatments

NayNay

I have heard from various people on this board that they put hot oil treatments on dry hair. I would think that wouldn't be beneficial since the cuticle is closed. Unless heat or water is added how could the oil penetrate? I have also heard that an oil treatment on wet hair is not beneficial because your hair soaks up the water and not the oil. I tend to disagree because if that was the case then how would conditioners penetrate? I perform hot oil treatments on damp hair under a heating cap. Between the water and the heat the cuticle is open and thus achieving optimal penetration...correct?
I think Andre does't like oil treaments but recommended it on wet hair.
Any thoughts on it?

Hey NayNay,/images/graemlins/wave.gif

I'm not sure about the pre wash benefits as opposed to the post wash benefits of an oil treatment. However, I find it's easier for me to do it once my hair is wet, because on dry hair, I find the oil hard to apply. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I apply hot oil to dry hair prior to shampooing and cover it with a plastic cap. Then I either do a 30-minute workout or sit under a warm drying for 30 minutes. The heat from the oil and my body heat or dryer helps it to penetrate.

If I apply it to wet hair, it just sits there and does nothing.

i just dont have the time for separate hot oil treatments.normal wash nites are long enuff as it is. i have jojoba oil which is really absorbed by my hair so some times before i go to bed i will apply some to my hair and ends, wrap with a silk scarf and go to bed. once in a while i just add more oil to my deep conditioners and that is it!

i agree with robin,

i do my hot oil treatments before i wash my hair and i take a bowl and fill it with olive oil then put it in the micro. then i just bend over the tub and let my hair hang and put it in the bowl. i think it does penetrate dry hair due to heat from the oil. i like to saturate my hair with the oil. if i wet it first i wouldn't have the feeling of giving my hair a hot oil treatment anymore. i don't know. i guess i just like it this way. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Ladies, giving your self a treatment on dry hair makes a lot of sense to me I just have never tried it this way. I'll give it try now that I understand.

For me personally, I used to have a problem with a dry, itchy, dreadfully flaky scalp from wearing braids off and on for years. I started doing my hot oil treatments in August and I have not seen one flake since.

I don't know that it's helping my hair as much as my scalp. It's completely moisturized and healthier than it's ever been and I believe it's because of the hot oil treatments.

Hi Zgirl,
For me, the treatments keep my color-treated, relaxed hair pliable. How do I know this? Because, after the temperatures plunged south of freezing, I got a little lazy and stopped doing them....and in that short amount of time, a few of my highlights SNAPPED off /images/graemlins/blush.gifoo:, lol. So back to the oil treatments in a hurry. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif It seems to keep my hair from being stripped - my hair still feels moist after shampooing. And I agree with the poster who said the treatments also help with dry, itchy scalp.
HTH,
Nyambura

NayNay,

I've done hot oil treatments with damp hair as well as dry hair. When I use a heavier oil (like coconut) I do it on dry hair. When I used coconut on wet or damp hair it was hard to comb through. When I use olive oil or a liquid oil I do it on damp hair it seems to absorb better. The thicker oil seems to not need the water to absorb in my hair.

I only do hot oil treatments before I wash my hair and not after.
HTH

Hi Ms Kenesha,

I use the little tube of tcb hot oil treatment and that's light. On dry hair, I had such a hard time, it seemed to go everywhere except stay on my hair. I'll try to use a heavier oil and see how that works.

Thanks /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I do my hot oil treatment while my hair is dry. Initially, it was difficult but then I purchased on of those applicator bottles (like the WGO comes in). So now I put my oil in the applicator bottle, heat it up in the microwave and then part my hair and squirt a couple of drops all over and on my ends. I then massage my scalp and sit under the dryer for about 20 minutes.

Back