Pro and cons of using the Denman brush?

PAPRIKA

I thought the denman was too good to be true and was flip-flopping whether or not to get one but it seems like everytime I come here I hear praise about it. I really want it for the curl definition for WNGs. I will be picking one up today!!

gmw

I have to say I love this brush, and i have the knock off version. (I haven't found a place in Philadelphia that I can go a buy yet. As soon as I do I will be buying it.)

This brush detangles my hair like no other and over time I don't lose that much of my hair in the detangling process.

I don't have any cons yet at all.

Starr1

I love my denman!

I use it in the shower, starting from the ends, when my hair is soaked with conditioner, then I rinse about 80% and smooth with my hands.

I get great curl definition and it gets all the shed hair out.

LayneJ

Another Denman lover here.

Pros: Great curl definition. Removes ALL the shed hairs. Detangles like a dream.

Con: Shrinkage. Usually shrinkage doesn't bother me, but the shrinkage I get after using the Denman is unbelievable. My hair shrinks to about 3 inches when wet, and when dry... :nono:

anon123

I actually did this one day.. I took hair by hair out and examined it and I be danged if the little jokas didn't have a little bulb at the end of each, and they were long when (after I stretched them out) ... That sold me... I don't experience knots or tangles either... that tells me something. You won't have to worry about unexpected dreds using the denman frequently.

I did this once, too. There was a lot of shed hair in mine. And also a lot of broken hairs, both long and short, that didn't have any white bulb on them. :sad:

Southernbella.

ITA w/this post... Use carefully but it is definately a must for me and natural hair. I say the more often you use it under the right conditions the better off your hair will be in the long run regarding knots and tangling issues, it will keep the shed hairs at bay.

Maybe THAT'S why I don't have knots/tangle issues! My hair and I love the Denman. I don't see how I'd be natural without it.:yep:

Pros: Detangles. Goes through my hair very easily. Defines curls. Gets the shed hairs out. My hair stays detangled until the next wash. Easy to clean.

Cons: None

lilsparkle825

pro: really helps get the tangles out and make my curls look great

con: i get less shedding with my shower comb...im talkin 1 strand vs 10 or so, so i try to limit the denman to once a week or once every 2 weeks. could be that i am more impatient when detangling with the brush.

BillsBackerz67

pro: really helps get the tangles out and make my curls look great

con: i get less shedding with my shower comb...im talkin 1 strand vs 10 or so, so i try to limit the denman to once a week or once every 2 weeks. could be that i am more impatient when detangling with the brush.
Do you use the jilbere shower comb? if so that comb barley removes any hair. Im better off using my fingers. but anyhow I use both.

I use the denman every single day:look:

wonderstar

Pros: Gets rid of ALL shed hair, smooths hair for styling, reduces tangles and knots, less shrinkage for me.

Cons: If I have curls the denman will turn them into waves and only the ends will be curly like JustKiya mentioned.

Gracie

Pro- It gets rid of all the shedded hair, no knots and it feels great on my scalp.

Con- the shrinkage!! I didn't make the connection until I read the posts in this thread.

GoingNatural

Pros: Gets rid of ALL shed hair, smooths hair for styling, reduces tangles and knots, less shrinkage for me.

Cons: If I have curls the denman will turn them into waves and only the ends will be curly like JustKiya mentioned.

This happens initially, but my hair still always ends up curled up once it completely dries. Sometimes I actually wish it would keep the wave because then i can show a bit more length.

Another thing I noticed with the Denman is that I stopped getting those tiny knots at the end of my hair!

aloof one

PROs: It turns my ends to ringlets and my roots into waves (which I don't mind). It makes detangling SOOO much easier, and gets shed hairs out so my NG doesn't dread up into locs. It makes blowdrying A LOT easier too, I don't lose nearly as much hair.

CONS: I wish they made a tiny Denman that I could use on my nape and edges while blowdrying, but its probably impossible. Other than that I don't see anything wrong with the brush.

Arcadian

@aloof one; I saw some small ones on their website. I think those are purse sized.

I love my denman. I don't comb/brush a lot (every 4 days) and this really does the job for me. I use it only on wet hair that has a leave in. never EVER on dry hair.

I always detangle with a wide toothed comb first. Just using the denman? :nono: Only if my hair was freshly relaxed would I do that.

I don't always end up with a poodle in the brush:lachen: Sometimes its just a few hairs.

I think its interesting some are saying they get waving or curling with this brush:think:, My hair is definitly smoother but as I stretch my relaxer, my hair tends to be really wavy after using the brush.

-A

d-rock

I'd love to use one of these brushes, but I can't find one anywhere!!!! Where are you ladies getting these brushes? I looked in Sally's and Beauty World and couldn't find one.

JustKiya

I'd love to use one of these brushes, but I can't find one anywhere!!!! Where are you ladies getting these brushes? I looked in Sally's and Beauty World and couldn't find one.

I got mine from Sally's - it was all tucked away on the bottom shelf. :lachen:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
PROs: It turns my ends to ringlets and my roots into waves (which I don't mind). It makes detangling SOOO much easier, and gets shed hairs out so my NG doesn't dread up into locs. It makes blowdrying A LOT easier too, I don't lose nearly as much hair.

CONS: I wish they made a tiny Denman that I could use on my nape and edges while blowdrying, but its probably impossible. Other than that I don't see anything wrong with the brush.

There is a denman comb. It's pretty small.

discobiscuits

for me there are no cons. i never see hair in my brush except for shed hair and it is only a very small amount. if i use the brush more than once a week, then i don't see any hairs after the initial use. it does not pull my hair. and i only use it with my hair wet and loaded w/ conditioner or if i am adding gel to define the curls but it is still wet. i've never tired it on dry hair. i think i have a D3

GoingNatural

I bought it online because I could never find it in the store

Ediese

I bought mine from Sallys about two weeks ago. It was just like Just Kiya said, it was on the bottom shelf. I kept searching, and thought they didn't have it.

I love this brush. I was a little skeptical of using a brush on my wet hair, but I only see shed hair in the brush and I love to see my curls spring to life. lol

The only con is that the red part slips out of the handle. I'm not sure if I'm being too rough or what.

Fine 4s

I bought mine at Ricky's in NYC and probably paid too much for it...
But I don't get the difference between all the Denman brushes. Denman 3 Denman 15 Denman 100 (made up numbers) what's the diff?

GoingNatural

I bought mine at Ricky's in NYC and probably paid too much for it...
But I don't get the difference between all the Denman brushes. Denman 3 Denman 15 Denman 100 (made up numbers) what's the diff?

Just the style/shape of brush. D3 has 7 rows, D5 has 9 rows.

Just different ways to differentiate.

nichole21

Great thread, very helpful. I was so inspired I decided to go out and buy one. I brought the D3 from Sally's and it was $8.99.

I tried it (just because I can't wait) :yep: and it was nice for detangling, however to get the full effect, I plan to try it in the morning when I wash my hair!