Denman Brush Changes Your Texture

Country gal

Pochantas was right. She had mentioned that when she uses the denman brush it changes her curls. I mostly used the denman brush to detangle my hair, it would shrink my curls up. This weekend I just finger combed my hair when conditioning washing. I got so many complements on my hair that day. The curls/coils seemed much looser and more like spiral curls. The next day I used a denman brush, I noticed a difference. Today I did the finger waved. My hair came out longer and had more of a looser curl.

I like the results I get without the brush. Just sharing

Last edited:

MA2010

Do you mind posting a picture of what the Denman looks like?

I am not familiar with it and google is giving me nothing!!!

What type of brush is it???

Country gal

It's a brush you can get from Sally's. I don't have a pic of it. I guess I can take a picture of my brush but that would be too much work.

KnottyGurl

I'm transitioning, so I don't really see a change, or should I say CAN'T see a change yet. Thanks for the heads up :yep: Here's a picture of it:

NewYorkgyrl

I never like how my hair comes out when I use the brush. I personally do not think that it is a good tool to use for a 4a natural if they want curls. Finger combing is better for a 4a (IMO)

Leeda.the.Paladin

I finger comb for styling as well, just works so much better for curls (for me) than the Denman, which just smooshes everything together.

nichole21

I didn't care for the denman (d3) too much. I have big puffy curls and it split my curls that usually lump together into small ringettes type curls. But it does do as promise which is define your curls. However for me me it changed my normal curl pattern. I still use my denman as a general brush, but not for curl definition. Its possible that I need a different type of denman with wider teeth/fewer rows.

Last edited:

justNikki

The denman clumps your hair with MAJOR shrinkage. I still only use mine to detangle. The ringlets I get are cute, but it's still poofy at the roots which just looks weird. Maybe when my hair gets longer I can use it more for styling.

LayneJ

I have the same results, except I don't like it when it does that. :ohwell:

I use my Denman to remove shed hairs, and after that, I comb through my hair with my wide-tooth shower comb to get rid of the curls. My natural curl pattern is really tight, and I actually prefer it that way. When I bun though, I use the Denman on the front part of my hair, because it smooths like nothing else.

NewYorkgyrl

I finger comb for styling as well, just works so much better for curls (for me) than the Denman, which just smooshes everything together.

That is exactly what is does! Nice word choice I couldn't think of how to explain it.

I feel that it ruins any type of curl I may have had in my hair.....like brushing or combing out curls. Then it becomes really lreally frizzy!

glam-

Pochantas was right. She had mentioned that when she uses the denman brush it changes her curls. I mostly used the denman brush to detangle my hair, it would shrink my curls up. This weekend I just finger combed my hair when conditioning washing. I got so many complements on my hair that day. The curls/coils seemed much looser and more like spiral curls. The next day I used a denman brush, I noticed a difference. Today I did the finger waved. My hair came out longer and had more of a looser curl.

I like the results I get without the brush. Just sharing

I came to that conclusion, too. I hardly ever use my denman anymore.

Country gal

I like using it to smooth out my edges when I do my puff. It does make my hair more frizzy. I am just realizing how it smooshes my hair together.

ladylibra

Ouch....the brush looks like it hurts!

it doesn't. i have a vid that shows me using it :yep:

i LOVE the Denman for detangling and for smoothing hair back, but the super-shrinkage it gives me is rather annoying. :perplexed i've found that if i detangle and do big coils after detangling a section, then when i finish my whole head go back and finger-comb each coil apart it helps fight that. but yeah, it's a PITA so i'm back to detangling every 2 weeks.

BostonMaria

I use a similar brush ($5 version) and I can detange in seconds. I don't wear my hair down much, but it does help my curls pop. I separate the curls that clump together when my hair dries.

I don't know about shrinkage... I guess I would have to try a wide tooth comb and see how it leaves my hair.

GoldenBreeze

I'm one of the few who likes the denman. It allows me to detangle quickly, and thoroughly removes shed hair. My texture isn't changed by the denman, and my curl definition is enhanced. I use the D4 instead of the D3, but I don't know if that makes a difference.

ricochet

The Denman definitely gives a me a tighter, coilier, longer lasting, effect where fingercombing and smoothing w/out the brush gives me a more loose, bigger, fluffier, coily effect. I like fingercombing too, it takes less time and I am all for that. :)

MsKipani

The denman clumps your hair with MAJOR shrinkage. I still only use mine to detangle. The ringlets I get are cute, but it's still poofy at the roots which just looks weird. Maybe when my hair gets longer I can use it more for styling.
This is the only thing I don't like about it....how can that be avoided? Brushing in smaller sections maybe?

SouthernTease

I purchased Jilbere's version of the Denman shower comb about
2 years ago from Sally's ... I never really used it until GoingNatural mentioned
how much she loved her Denman... it works for me.

Country gal

It does change your texture if it gives you a more tighter coil. I prefer looser coils so finger combing works for me.

vkb247

I am wondering when/how most people are using their Denman especially those who say it makes their hair frizz.

I use the denmand to detangle under running water before cowashing. I don't have to do any detanging and I have great curl definition once dry. More coilies = shrinkage

The denman can do the same thing for me if I use it to brush through ic gel or some other cur definer but I have to use it small sections, taking almost an hour to go through my whole head.

Using the denman this way it will never make my hair frizzy. With the right angle, the denman will actually smooth the section out and create one big coil if I let it.

I am in love with my denman. It is the only brush that can get through my thick hair to my scalp an when I scratch my head with it I want to kick up my back foot like a dog getting a good scratch behind the ear! I just bought the Goody's version that looks like it. It is wider/has more rows than my d3 so I am excited to see if it will give me different results.

The Goody's package said that it is a straightening brush :ohwell: