Product for twist/braid outs for relaxed hair

Britt

What are some recommendations to use for definded twist out/braids outs for relaxed hair? I'm currently a little over 6 months post relaxer and would like to do a braid out this wknd. What products will give me shine and a light hold? I plan to blow dry first but not all the way, I'll still leave the hair with some dampness to it.

Thanks!!!

KhandiB

Honestly, Im so basic with mine :lol: , I dampen my hair use any of my V05 conditioners and Coconut Oil and if Im past 4 weeks, I use some Eco-Styler gel on my edges. For hold I use wrapping lotion or a little bit of mousse. Good Luck!

Leslie_C

If I dont put something in my hair that will provide hold, it explodes, the natural hair fros out, and the relaced hair droops lol. Im 8.5 months post. I cant do braidouts very well, but twist n curls turn out nice. Im going to keep practicing braidouts though.

The best one Ive gotten was when I mixed 1 part Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing smoothie to 2 parts eco styler olive oil gel. It was a soft hold that lasted for 3-4 days (a record for me). It blended the 2 textures very nicely! OP Are you transitioning?

Guinan

Re-Branding
After I co-wash, I part the hair into 4's and use SCurl and seal with WGHO. I then braid in 4's and let it airdry. I then take it out the next day. As far as a light hold, maybe try a setting lotion/wrap lotion.

Britt

If I dont put something in my hair that will provide hold, it explodes, the natural hair fros out, and the relaced hair droops lol. Im 8.5 months post. I cant do braidouts very well, but twist n curls turn out nice. Im going to keep practicing braidouts though.

The best one Ive gotten was when I mixed 1 part Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing smoothie to 2 parts eco styler olive oil gel. It was a soft hold that lasted for 3-4 days (a record for me). It blended the 2 textures very nicely! OP Are you transitioning?

Leslie_C I'm heavily contemplating ! I've been in a weave for a while and I think I'm gonna take my sew in down b/c I miss my hair. If anything, I can always go and weave it back up after a few weeks. I want to see and feel what my hair is like being this long w/o a touchup. I've been looking up transitioning styles online. There aren't too many pictures or suggestions in the transitioning thread, so I'm thinking i'll try twist outs and braid outs. I know a lot of people bun also. To the bolded, I was thinking of a way of incorporating my IC olive oil gel.

Leslie_C

@Leslie_C I'm heavily contemplating ! I've been in a weave for a while and I think I'm gonna take my sew in down b/c I miss my hair. If anything, I can always go and weave it back up after a few weeks. I want to see and feel what my hair is like being this long w/o a touchup. I've been looking up transitioning styles online. There aren't too many pictures or suggestions in the transitioning thread, so I'm thinking i'll try twist outs and braid outs. I know a lot of people bun also. To the bolded, I was thinking of a way of incorporating my IC olive oil gel.

Brittster :lol: yeah the transitioning thread is mainly a common ground for venting and encouraging one another... If you want styles look on youtube. I mostly do high buns or puffs, twist n curls, and bantu knot outs. Ive done a few sets of two strand twists (just did one 2 days ago) which I like, but the anorexic ends have to be curled.

Dont be discouraged if your new growth is dry and rough when you take your weave down....it takes lots of trial and error with products and methods to whip that new growth into submission and soften it up. Im sure straight out of a weave it will take you for a bit of a surprise. Mine is like a brillo pad if I dont stay on top of moisturizing it. Months 4-6 were the hardest and its getting easier now.

Britt

@Brittster :lol: yeah the transitioning thread is mainly a common ground for venting and encouraging one another... If you want styles look on youtube. I mostly do high buns or puffs, twist n curls, and bantu knot outs. Ive done a few sets of two strand twists (just did one 2 days ago) which I like, but the anorexic ends have to be curled.

Dont be discouraged if your new growth is dry and rough when you take your weave down....it takes lots of trial and error with products and methods to whip that new growth into submission and soften it up. Im sure straight out of a weave it will take you for a bit of a surprise. Mine is like a brillo pad if I dont stay on top of moisturizing it. Months 4-6 were the hardest and its getting easier now.

Leslie_C thank you soo much! Do you have an youtubers you'd recommend for transitioning hair styles? When I go on you tube and type that in the search bar, I don't even come up w/ the popular yt'ers as a result.

Yeppp, that's what the transitioning thread is for :lol: . I need practical visual tips. Ohhhh yeah, I know when I take this weave down, my hair will be unchartered territory as I've never gone this long w/o a relaxer. It will need to be washed, deep conditioned and constantly moisturized.

Leslie_C

@Leslie_C thank you soo much! Do you have an youtubers you'd recommend for transitioning hair styles? When I go on you tube and type that in the search bar, I don't even come up w/ the popular yt'ers as a result.

Yeppp, that's what the transitioning thread is for :lol: . I need practical visual tips. Ohhhh yeah, I know when I take this weave down, my hair will be unchartered territory as I've never gone this long w/o a relaxer. It will need to be washed, deep conditioned and constantly moisturized.

Brittster Here are a few long term transitioners off the top of my head: Kandeelovesya, Charyjay, 007newnew, and kikicouture10. Kiki is the only one still transitioning...for the others look back on their older videos...I especiallly remember CharyJay posting a lot of transitioning styles. If I think of or come across more Ill let you know :)

Lissa0821

I am loving Taliah Waajid Lock it up gel, it is soft but firm hold that gives a great shine as well.

Dposh167

Whatever mix u damp ur hair with...put a little of aloe vera juice in it before u braid. Then put a moisturize or oil or whatever u choose on top of it to seal. That aloe juice has never done me wrong for well defined braidouts. Its natually ph balanced so it helps keep the cuticle flat to avoid frizz.

BGT

What do you all put on the ends? I have some small satin rollers but they're still too big.

Britt

Leslie_C thanks for the vid suggestions! I'm gonna watch them! These are helpful.

poochie167, thanks for the suggestion. I do have KBB's moisture mist spray that has aloe vera as the first ingredient I think. I wonder if that will suffice?