Protective Bun for Short Hair...DSD inspired.

RabiaElaine

Hi Ladies,

One of my favorite albums for ideas on this site is DSD's album. She really is an angel with all of the ideas she comes up with. I can't wait for my hair to be long enough to get a length tracking shirt from her.

Anyway, last summer I wore DSD's assisted bun alot. My hair is now shorter than it used to be (because I cut it, it needed to be cut), so even her assited bun was a little more than my hair can handle right now if I want to wear a low bun.

Low buns are very very chic lately and they are protective. So here's my alternative for ladies with hair too short to use DSD's method:
1) I ordered clip in hair pieces from Especially Yours...mine are 12 inches long.
2) Moisturized my own hair and made a side part at the front.
3) I clipped in 3 rows in the middle of my head, none of them are all the way at the back of my head or all the way up top.
4) I gently brushed my hair and the clip in hair together so that it blended.
5) Added a little Elasta QP Glossifier to slick it in place
6) I pulled hair into a low ponytail, but not all the way down by the nape of my neck.
7) Pinned hair into a bun. You could even use DSD's assisted bun that at this point since this hair is long enough to wrap around the bun donut. In my pictures it's just pinned in place without the donut. I'm going to try using the donut when I have more time.

And there you have it an elegant bun. Check out my pictures of this bun in my album. I will try to add pictures of the steps later this weekend...but the instructions above should be easy to follow.

Anyway I hope this helps someone who wants to protective style.

Thanks for the inspiration DSD!!

RabiaElaine

One other thing the bun is not at all uncomfortable because I didnt' have to use that many pins. Also the clip in peices do not damage hair, they can be carefully clipped in and carefully clipped out.

Good luck to those of you who try this.

Leslie_C

hey I like this idea! I have enough length but not enough thickness for an unassisted bun to look nice, I may have to give this a try. Also, latey Ive been wearing on of those srunchies with the hair around it to where it looks like a low ponytail and it looks natural. I have my hair sticking through the middle part, then I take a satin stunchie to put arounf th top of the ponytail and I wrap my own hair under or around and cover it with the srunchie. I think this is a good protective still and its a change from the bun, and also compliments me more than a bun does. when I wear a bun all the time my friends at school call me Florence Johnston...but they like the srunchie do.
Ill have to take a pic of it sometime bc this will probably be my style till I finish school in the fall, because we have to wear our hair up at school anyway and this is about the best looking style on me.

jaded_faerie

pleaseeeeeee post some steps! your bun is too cute....it looks really nice! im going to try this method for 2 months and see how it goes.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
i love Esp. yours....I get a catalog once a month and ea. time, my friends take it from me. :ohwell: Anyhow, they have a great selection of wigs that I'm waiting to buy. I'm banned fr buying ne thing til we move 2 r new apt. :crying3:

RabiaElaine

jaded_faerie said:
pleaseeeeeee post some steps! your bun is too cute....it looks really nice! im going to try this method for 2 months and see how it goes.

Thanks Ladies :),

I will post the steps with pictures, I just have to wait until this weekend when my sister comes with the digital camer so that I can take pictures of it ( I know, I know...I need to buy a camera of my own :) )

As soon as I take the pictures I will post them.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I think her bun was a good idea too... along with SweetPea, Wolftrap, and dreemssold and others that do the donut bun. :)

KAddy

Your bun looks great Rabia. That is an excellent idea and I will definitely be trying this.

cece22

Thanks for posting this I have the clip in hair from espoecially yours. I was rockin a bun with my own hair but I could use some help. This would be a good alternative and it looks believable. I might be trying this by Wednesday when I get tired of wearing my hair out.

RabiaElaine

Thanks ladies :)

I'm trying to come up with more creative ways to keep my hair protected between my visits to the dominican salon.