QUESTION: Beginning Twists with Twists vs Beginning Twists with the Braid

lp318lp

Hello Ladies,

Lp318Lp here with a quick question about putting twists in your hair...

I decided to save some money, watch YouTube, and learn how to put twists in my hair. Instead of paying the $159 to get them done, I decided to do them myself. In watching several YouTube videos, I was amazed to see how many braiders emphasized that they start the twists with twists at the root as opposed to starting with a braiding pattern. My question for you hairologists is this: what's the benefit or advantage of beginning with twists as opposed to beginning with a regular braid pattern?

Thanks Ladies! Hope this makes sense!

me~:rolleyes:

DigitalRain

Im no expert but starting with a braid seems like asking for a detangling nightmare esp. for those of us with very kinky hair.

LoveCraze

Naturalista
I haven't tried this technique, but I understand that by beginning the twist with a braid, it prevents the hair from twisting and winding up on itself at the root as it grows out. When I had Senegalese twist that started with a twist, this was a big problem that occurred and it would result in very tight roots just from the twist rotating after a while. If I ever decide to get these again, I will start with a braid first.

faithVA

I've had them both ways and it didn't help the hair at the root from twisting around itself. I thought braiding it would help the hair not slip as much or as fast but that didn't seem the case either. They both seemed to act the same way in my hair.

The only reason I do the braid is because I find it easier for me to get the braid closer to the root. I am not as skilled at getting the twist close to the root. Other than that I haven't found a benefit of one over the other.

Nonie

Im no expert but starting with a braid seems like asking for a detangling nightmare esp. for those of us with very kinky hair.

I think DigitalRain explains the reason I stopped. After my BC and year+ in braids, I started braiding the base of the twists after seeing LadyKay??PC (I'm so bad with names and Member List isn't working) doing it and having the neatest dos.

:nono: Nightmare is right. My hair cannot do braids for a long time if fake hair is not interwoven therein to keep my strands from knotting. The twisted part would be so easy to undo, then I'd spend forever trying to pry my strands apart and just not really being able to feel WTH was going on at the base. :wallbash: I recently tried to remember why I don't braid but DigitalRain really brought it all back to me. :nono:

DigitalRain, thanks for answering the question I was asking myself just the other day: "What made me stop doing it?"

Ironically, I know this locking happens with extension-free braids. Why I would think it'd be different just coz twists follow, I dunno. :dork:

lolascurls

I find I'm the other way round to ^^^ if I do it with twist, they slip real quick and twist and poof at the roots. I do it with braids and they stay put! The important thing at take down is to be gentle, use a conditioner with slip and finger detangle before any comb sees the roots!

Tylove101

I find I'm the other way round to ^^^ if I do it with twist, they slip real quick and twist and poof at the roots. I do it with braids and they stay put! The important thing at take down is to be gentle, use a conditioner with slip and finger detangle before any comb sees the roots!

I agree... same with me. If I don't braid the root it's going to untwist about the time I finish. lol