Question for Wig Wearers

BrownSkin2

I would like to wear a wig most of the winter with my hair braided underneath. I will wash, DC weekly, and keep moisturized daily underneath. My question is, have anyone seen any ill effects from this like thinning, dry or sore scalp, hairline receding, abnormal growth, smelly hair? Did you get good growth from this? Please share your methods.

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
I would like to wear a wig most of the winter with my hair braided underneath. I will wash, DC weekly, and keep moisturized daily underneath. My question is, have anyone seen any ill effects from this like thinning, dry or sore scalp, hairline receding, abnormal growth, smelly hair? Did you get good growth from this? Please share your methods.

You have to be VERY careful with your hairline when constantly wearing wigs. Have you considered wearing a fall AKA half wig? You can still keep the braids underneith and you won't damage your hairline with the friction that a full wig would present.

mscocoface

Never ever ever wear a full wig without a wig cap to protect your hair and your hair line.

I would go back and forth from full wig to half wig so there is no constant tension on your hairline.

Other than that I have had incredible growth because it is the ultimate in no manipulation I can do baggying under the wigs as well as deep conditioning and no one is ever the wiser.

On the days when I don't have to go out or until I walk out the door I will at times not put the wig on until leaving. If I don't have to wear hair pieces all day I don't.

BrownSkin2

Never ever ever wear a full wig without a wig cap to protect your hair and your hair line.

I would go back and forth from full wig to half wig so there is no constant tension on your hairline.

Other than that I have had incredible growth because it is the ultimate in no manipulation I can do baggying under the wigs as well as deep conditioning and no one is ever the wiser.

On the days when I don't have to go out or until I walk out the door I will at times not put the wig on until leaving. If I don't have to wear hair pieces all day I don't.

Thanks for the great tips. I see that you are natural 4 a/b like me. When you wear a half wig, what do you do with the front to blend it in?