(???) Questions about My Regime... I need your HELP (!!!)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I have decided to wash my hair once a week. During some days of the week, I will be using products on my hair for styling such as S-Curl and Citre Shine Gel. I'm on the bun challenge. ;) I know since I use products on my hair it will cause buildup on my hair and scalp, so I will need to clarify more often. I plan on clarifying once a week, each time I wash.

Is the order in which I should follow each week???...

1. Clarify w/ Suave or ElastaQP Bodifying
2. Deep Condition w/ LeKair Cholesterol Plus/Hot 6 Oil mix
3. Conditioner Wash w/ Suave Humectant
4. Apply products and style hair in bun

I really want to know if I should do a co-wash before or after a clarify? And should deep conditioning or the co-wash be the last thing to do before apply products and styling my hair? :confused:

Thanks in advance!

myco

Poohbear said:
I have decided to wash my hair once a week. During some days of the week, I will be using products on my hair for styling such as S-Curl and Citre Shine Gel. I'm on the bun challenge. ;) I know since I use products on my hair it will cause buildup on my hair and scalp, so I will need to clarify more often. I plan on clarifying once a week, each time I wash.

I really want to know if I should do a co-wash before or after a clarify? And should deep conditioning or the co-wash be the last thing to do before apply products and styling my hair? :confused:

Thanks in advance!

Are you deep conditioning and CO washing at the same time? It seems like you wouldn't need to do a CO wash if you're shampooing and deep conditioning on the same day.

mrslee

Love yourself first!
The regimen looks good, but I wouldnt do the CW and DEEP at the same time. Alternate between the two each week. Good luck!

Jewell

Just select the days that you want to CO wash, and the day that you want to clarify/shampoo and deep condition. If you do it on the same day, clarify first to get rid of old buildup, then condition...that way there's not a barrier to the conditioner penetrating your hair. Don't condition first then clarify, because you're washing all the good stuff out!

I CO wash (no shampoo) 6 days a week. I shampoo and deep condition on 1 day. I don't necessarily call myself clarifying because my Nexxus shampoos have SLS, which as I've read on another site is the clarifying ingredient in clarifying shampoos anyway. My and scalp tend to be dry, which is why I only shampoo once a week.

Poohbear

Thanks ladies. Good ideas and they all make sense...

So does this sound better:
1st week: clarify & condition
2nd week: co-wash
3rd week: clarify and condition
...and so on???

star

Poohbear said:

Thanks in advance!
I do not think you need to clarify once a week. I would say use a good moisturizing shampoo instead and maybe clarify every two weeks. But when I clarify I follow up with a moisiturzing shampoo and then condtioner. It does not seem like you need to clarify and then do CO wash. Clarifying should always be first to really clean the hair then everything else to follow. But again you should not need to clarify that often. I just do it once a month. :lol:

Tracy

I think clarifying once a week is fine. I agree - cw'ing and deep conditioning is unecessary, but I don't know if I'd only conditioner wash every other week, when the week is spent applying glycerin and gel.

I think if you're going to wash your hair once a week, and you don't want to wet it in between, conditioner washes aren't really necessary. IMO, Conditioner washes allow people who like to wet their hair more often than once a week, to do so without using shampoo. If you plan to shampoo weekly only, and not wet your hair in between, it makes no sense to CW, IMO.

You could CW in order to stop using so much shampoo period, but if you're gonna be gunking up your hair with grease and oil all week that won't work. Or, at least it wouldn't on MY hair.

Poohbear

star said:
I do not think you need to clarify once a week. I would say use a good moisturizing shampoo instead and maybe clarify every two weeks. But when I clarify I follow up with a moisiturzing shampoo and then condtioner. It does not seem like you need to clarify and then do CO wash. Clarifying should always be first to really clean the hair then everything else to follow. But again you should not need to clarify that often. I just do it once a month. :lol:
Thanks for your advice. :yep: The only shampoo I have is CON shampoo, but I've decided not to use it anymore because it leaves this icky, white, sticky buildup on my newgrowth which is hard to wash out. :ohwell: So I don't have a moisturizing shampoo right now. What are some good non-salon shampoos I can buy??? ;)

Poohbear

Tracy said:
I think clarifying once a week is fine. I agree - cw'ing and deep conditioning is unecessary, but I don't know if I'd only conditioner wash every other week, when the week is spent applying glycerin and gel.

I think if you're going to wash your hair once a week, and you don't want to wet it in between, conditioner washes aren't really necessary. IMO, Conditioner washes allow people who like to wet their hair more often than once a week, to do so without using shampoo. If you plan to shampoo weekly only, and not wet your hair in between, it makes no sense to CW, IMO.

You could CW in order to stop using so much shampoo period, but if you're gonna be gunking up your hair with grease and oil all week that won't work. Or, at least it wouldn't on MY hair.
How come I was thinking this exact thing after reading the posts on here! I agree with your opinion. :yep:
And that was the main reason why I want to do co-washing... in order to stop using shampoo. But it makes no sense to do co-washes if I'm not going to do them more than once a week. I will just wait until I decide to wash more often to do co-washes.

Btw, I won't be applying grease to my hair (I don't have any) nor too much oil... After washing, I'll only be applying just my NTM leave-in and S-Curl all over, then WGO on my hair that's in the bun, and the Citre gel for my edges, then throughout the week just S-Curl and gel. Thanks for your advice! :)

Jewell

Infusium 23 Moisturizing Shampoo, Creme of Nature Detangling or Moisturizing Shampoo, Physique Deep Hydrating Shampoo, NTM Creme Lather Shampoo, Loreal Nutri Vive Shampoo, Renewal 5x Shampoo, Garnier Fructis. I've tried all of these, and I think they all work well. My favorite is NTM Creme Lather Shampoo. Renewal 5x works excellent with the conditioner too!

Alee

Former ScissorHappy Nappy
Sounds good however I would change the CW to maybe mid-week ( between shampoos) it can get rid of a lot of the build up an you can use a moisturizing shampoo once a week and clarify once a month ( clarifying shampoos are harsh you dont wanna use them to often if you can help it). Hope this helps. :)

crml_buttafly

Poohbear said:
Thanks for your advice. :yep: The only shampoo I have is CON shampoo, but I've decided not to use it anymore because it leaves this icky, white, sticky buildup on my newgrowth which is hard to wash out. :ohwell: So I don't have a moisturizing shampoo right now. What are some good non-salon shampoos I can buy??? ;)

aphogee evening primrose moisturizing shampoo is good. i really like it it makes my hair silky smooth. i use it on my duaghters hair also bc like you, the CON was leaving residue on her hair

Poohbear

Alee said:
Sounds good however I would change the CW to maybe mid-week ( between shampoos) it can get rid of a lot of the build up an you can use a moisturizing shampoo once a week and clarify once a month ( clarifying shampoos are harsh you dont wanna use them to often if you can help it). Hope this helps. :)
That's a good idea, but I'm transitioning without the big chop and only wanna deal with my hair once a week. I've tried washing more than once a week for the umpteenth time and it just doesn't work for me and my schedule. The reason why I want to clarify weekly is because I will be using S-Curl and Citre gel maybe 3-4 times a week (and I may even use the mousse I have) to lay down my edges if they get frizzy or something. ;) So that will be a lot of buildup over the week which can lead to dull, breaking hair. :yep:

lexi08

Hi, Poohbear. The Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo is a good shampoo to try. I use this shampoo is in rotation with my others on a regular basis and it does not cause build-up like Creme of Nature. I would still recommend using a clarifying shampoo periodically though.

Poohbear

Thanks for the shampoo recs everyone. :yep: I will probably just wait on purchasing another shampoo right now and just clarify my hair. I remembered when I first tried a clarifying shampoo back when I first joined this forum, it stripped my hair dry...that was because I never really put anything in my hair to begin with for it to be clarified of products. Since I use more products on my hair now, I will clarify weekly to get rid of buildup which I have been noticing. I want to have clean hair and scalp. I been clarifying and haven't had any problems with it. ;)

Tracy

Poohbear said:
How come I was thinking this exact thing after reading the posts on here! I agree with your opinion. :yep:
And that was the main reason why I want to do co-washing... in order to stop using shampoo. But it makes no sense to do co-washes if I'm not going to do them more than once a week. I will just wait until I decide to wash more often to do co-washes.

Btw, I won't be applying grease to my hair (I don't have any) nor too much oil... After washing, I'll only be applying just my NTM leave-in and S-Curl all over, then WGO on my hair that's in the bun, and the Citre gel for my edges, then throughout the week just S-Curl and gel. Thanks for your advice! :)

S-curl is grease to me. But it's not really, you're right.