Questions about wet bunning, heat, and setbacks (Long sorry)

curlycrocheter

Here is a little background info: In November of 09, I decided that I was gonna swear off flat ironing my hair and get serious about healthy hair care. I found this site in December, joined in January and have been slowly forming my reggie ever since that included co-washing 5-6x per week, and weekly dc'ing.

I liked the idea of wet bunning, did some research, looked up the old threads and gave it a shot. I started consistenly wet bunning in probably January....and let me tell you! I've never...NEVER seen that much retention in my life!! I started at a respectable apl. By May, I was DEEP bsb curly, which was mbl stretched.

Anywho, I was loving the heavy feeling of my hair on my back, and I got the urge to see how long it TRULY was, so I decided to straighten....OH BOY big mistake :wallbash:

I had tons of ssk, snarls, splits, my ends were basically crispy, fried, and chewed!!

So I decided to cut my losses (literally, I cut off 6 inches of hair-up to apl) and go back to using heat, lightly, like once a week or twice a month. But still bunning. And I just haven't seen the retention since then. From January to May I retained over 2 inches of hair, now, it seems like I'm at a stand still. I know this sounds crazy, but I want to go back to wet bunning. Even though I'm pretty sure it was the manipulation and weakness of my wet hair that caused a 6in set back.

I'm at a loss. I was overjoyed with my retention from wet bunning, I just don't know what I was doing wrong?? Can somebody please help me!!!

yamilee21

How were your ends BEFORE you started doing wet buns? Although not every technique works the same for everyone, that seems like more damage than wet bunning might cause. SSKs I can see, but crispy-fried-chewed more often comes from heat... might that damage have already been there? What products have you been using?

Whimsy

It doesn't sound like wet bunning was the cause of your setback. Maybe staying away from heat is just best for your hair.

hannan

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. I don't understand how there could be a crispy, crunchy feeling from just wet bunning unless there had been previous damage from heat.

Some of the splitting and damage, however, seem like they're coming from the bunning...especially if you're wet bunning with wet hair. Sounds weird but you should be bunning with DAMP hair if you're trying to wet bun. Wet hair can be too fragile to handle the bunning.

But then again, I might just be talking from my butt. I'm just a newbie. :yep:

How were your ends BEFORE you started doing wet buns? Although not every technique works the same for everyone, that seems like more damage than wet bunning might cause. SSKs I can see, but crispy-fried-chewed more often comes from heat... might that damage have already been there? What products have you been using?

Last edited:

curlycrocheter

my ends have NEVER been that bad! And before I started using "healthy" practices, I would flat iron dirty hair, or several times a week. but my ends never looked like that...:nono:

I cowash with either aussie, or suave, or v05, and use AOHSR as a leave-in sealed with coconut oil. I try not to use a lot of product.

ETA: I wasn't using heat during that time, so I went 4 months with no heat...go figure.

hasabe

I don't have an answer for you, per say, but here's what I got to say:

Your retention is amazing. I'm going to have to look into wet bunning. I'm where you were a couple of months ago (apl) and bsl is my short-term goal. Your hair in your avatar looks similar to mine and I'm guessing your hair is fine like mine. I think you have to be more fragile with fine hair bc it is more prone to split-ends. I've been on a no heat regimen for the past two months and I've only been doing braidouts. I usually put my hair in a bun. Well I don't think there was significant growth but I think there actually more split ends than I had before I started this regimen. The splits can be caused by anything really--brushing, strands rubbing up against each other, ponytails etc. You have to be extra careful. Try putting shea butter on your ends or oil now that you've had your hair dusted.