Quick Sabino MB Question

Queen_Earth

Hey I did a search but didn't see an answer to this question; I am about to press my hair and I want to try out my Sabino MB but I am curious to know--

Do you have to add a heat protectant after the Sabino MB or does the Sabino act as a heat protectant?

TIA!

Lynn84

The Sabino acts as a heat protectant but I still use a spray protectant with it. I may be paranoid but that lil glob in my hand doesn't seem to cover all of my hair so I spray a lil extra protectant.

Queen_Earth

THANK YOU!!! I'm so nervous for some reason...this is the first time I am straightening my hair myself without going to a salon

Grand Prix

THANK YOU!!! I'm so nervous for some reason...this is the first time I am straightening my hair myself without going to a salon

Don't worry, Sabino is a good heat protectant. It's my staple for straightening without the use of anything else.
And chances are you'll do a better job yourself than done at the salon.:look:

Good luck!

MsLizziA

The Sabino acts as a heat protectant but I still use a spray protectant with it. I may be paranoid but that lil glob in my hand doesn't seem to cover all of my hair so I spray a lil extra protectant.

Me too! I am soooo paranoid about just using sabino on its own

Don't worry, Sabino is a good heat protectant. It's my staple for straightening without the use of anything else.
And chances are you'll do a better job yourself than done at the salon.:look:

Good luck!

Girl your brave... im scared to just use it on its own because that lil drop just dont seem like enough. On top of that, if i use SBM on its own, i end up using too much!

Yea i use Chi Iron Guard along with SMB .... they work really well together

Which is better, Chi Iron Guard o Silk infusion? Whats the difference?

AMAKA127

Chi Iron Guard is a heat protectant .... i like it because its a spray and it reaches all parts of my hair .... Chi silk infusion has the same consistency of products like SMB or Biosilk but is a bit thicker ... I rarely use that anymore

Nubenap22

this is a good question because I too was planning on flat ironing my hair this coming week for the first time since november and I just got my sabino in

Grand Prix

Girl your brave... im scared to just use it on its own because that lil drop just dont seem like enough. On top of that, if i use SBM on its own, i end up using too much!

I would never use just a dime sized drop for my entire head. :blush:

I guess I'm lucky enough for my hair not to be weighed down or get sticky even though I'm pretty heavy handed.
Could it be the product you use underneath?

MsLizziA

I would never use just a dime sized drop for my entire head. :blush:

I guess I'm lucky enough for my hair not to be weighed down or get sticky even though I'm pretty heavy handed.
Could it be the product you use underneath?
Oh no not for the whole head. LOL i put my hair in 4 sections and then apply it.

Can you post up like an exact step by step of what u do with all the products you use?

Grand Prix

Well you asked for it :grin:, so here is my suuuper long step by step straightening method I posted earlier in the transitioning thread (I'm 18 months post):

Let me share!

Pre-LHCF my flatirons were crappy. Always stiff, always damaging and I there was always this whiff of burnt hair when I turned my head..

After tons of thread searching and of course trail and error I put together this:

-DC on dry hair with AO GPB

-Shampoo with Giovanni SAS, concentrate on my scalp, lather twice.

-Condition with Giovanni SAS, I know its not a DC, but I leave it on for about 15 minutes anyway.

-Rinse thoroughly!

-Toweldry

-Bantu knot in 7 sections. This stretches the hair and doesn't allow it to airdry.

-Section by section, I add Sabino, detangle and blowdry with my denman and Babyliss Pro Tourmaline Ionic hairdryer. I use about a pea size on every section. A lot of people find this too heavy, but I'm only apl and think it's just fine. It smoothes and makes it easy to detangle and while I thought it was scary at first, not to use any sort of leave in, once I applied a little bit more I saw that this was no problem at all.

Once one section is dry and detangled, I bantu knot it back up to keep it smooth and out of my way.

I use my hands to smooth down my nape and edges (saturated with sabino, can't stand reverted edges) and move the blowdryer over these parts. They'll still be frizzy, but the curl/kink will be out and makes them easier to flatiron.

-Undo one section, apply sabino (a little less than before), run a small toothed comb over them once, then chase my flatiron right behind the comb.

I use the FHI runway and I believe it really makes a difference.

When its gliding through my hair, the strands are all frizzy and rough on one side and then all shiny and smooth on the other.

It really doesn't need to be on the highest heat and I never swipe more than once.

I really take my time for this. It costs me about 2 hours, but it's worth the patience.

-Sometimes, I'll use my mini tourmaline ceramic flatiron to catch my edges, but I can't control the heat on it and I'm afraid it might be going up to 450 or something.. it doesn't say.

So I'll just pull my hair straight and zap the strands quickly. It can be frustrating when a section of your hair won't behave right.. especially around your hairline. But damaged hair simply won't look good, so don't make the mistake of going over the same section to make it look smoother. I've tried.

-Apply a teeny bit oil before (cross)wrapping, the kind that penetrates your hair, like coconut or olive, so it'll be gone in the morning and your hair will be silky smooth for days!

Mistakes that I've made:

-Using a cheap flatiron and blowdryer. I'm sensitive to marketing and deep down I know I shouldn't believe everything, but this tourmaline thing really seems to make a difference.

-Putting the heat up too high. Again a mistake made with a cheaper blowdryer and flatiron. If you've put it on the higher temerature and you still need to go over the same section three times, unless you didn't wash your hair properly, it's got to be the flatiron.

-Going over the same section to make it look better. Hair will look good when it's healthy. Repeating your swipes will just make it worse on the long term.

-Oils before flatironing. I already knew this, but I thought I could go ahead and DC with AO white camelia after a wash, thinking that since I'm not using a leave in it would be okay. If you've ever used this, you know that your hair will still be oily after rinsing.. It smoked and sizzled (well, just a little of course) and left my hair super greasy and thin.

Some of my coils have loosened because of that one time..

Long post, lol, but I really hope this helps some one!

Results

Last edited:

MsLizziA

-Undo one section, apply sabino (a little less than before), run a small toothed comb over them once, then chase my flatiron right behind the comb.

I use the FHI runway and I believe it really makes a difference.

When its gliding through my hair, the strands are all frizzy and rough on one side and then all shiny and smooth on the other.

So you apply Sabino before AND after you blow dry?

Grand Prix

Ill try but im still a little scared lol. And you hair has swang when your done? Its not weighed down?

It's featherlight. :yep:

No splits and my hair reverted completely after washing. There's always a risk when straightening, I guess, but since using a good HP I'm not afraid at all anymore. I used to be very anti-heat.

MsLizziA

It's featherlight. :yep:

No splits and my hair reverted completely after washing. There's always a risk when straightening, I guess, but since using a good HP I'm not afraid at all anymore. I used to be very anti-heat.
so whats the point of the bantu knots if your not letting them air dry?

Grand Prix

so whats the point of the bantu knots if your not letting them air dry?

Bantu knotting does not allow the hair to airdry, it stays wet.
You could braid/twist/pin the sections to keep them out of your way, I just prefer this method because my hair wont airdry and it's so fast and easy for sectioning.

Queen_Earth

WHOA!!! Thanks guys!!! Your suggestions and additional questions were VERY helpful!! I think I will wait another two weeks before I press out!! I actually do have some Chi IronGuard but I KNOW I desperately need a trim and still havent found someone to do it and I want to give my straightened with Sabino MB the best chance for success so I can judge it properly; cause thin/raggedy ends may make it look a mess and it won't be the Sabino MB's fault