Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
We really do take basic hair knowledge for granted, after being spoiled by these hair boards. People call the hair forum boring and repetitive, which I get if you've been here for a while, like me. But the basics make a world of difference when you're trying to retain length. At the very least, everyone that visits this board knows to wash, condition, moisturize and seal. At the very least.
I met a young lady tonight, and I could tell that there was some natural hair struggle going, but it appeared to by new struggle to me, so I tried to encourage her. She had a twa, with a headband in the front. I told her that her hair looks healthy. She said, "It's not." I said well it does, and asked how long she has been natural for. She said 3 years. My jaw could have hit the floor. She said "And this is all I've got." :sad:
I asked her what she uses, and the first thing out of her mouth was "Pink lotion." Lordhammercy. Then shea butter and coconut oil. I quickly advised her to get some good Trader Joe's conditioner as its cheap, and multi purposeful, and to nix the pink lotion.

Lord, I felt so bad for her! If I still had a twa after 1 year natural, I'd have been on YouTube researching like a mf! I hope that she is guided to some knowledge quickly.
Lawd Jesus have mercy a three year TWA tho?!! Whew. Shout out to you for reaching out to a young sista.

Wonder if there's some underlying issue there....

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Does anyone wear head wraps? I've been fascinated with Jewish tichel wraps for a long time. Found this site and have been practicing. I'm thinking to wrap in addition to protective styling this winter. Just wondering if my edges can take it.

Yep, all through out the fall/winter. I buy large scarves and just tie them up turban style and secure the knot with ribbon ties.

image.jpeg

I protect my hair underneath with a silk dome cap that I purchase from pretti antionetts.

image.jpeg

JerriBlank

Lawd Jesus have mercy a three year TWA tho?!! Whew. Shout out to you for reaching out to a young sista.

Wonder if there's some underlying issue there....

I think so! I mean, I know shrinkage is a factor, but she was ringing me up, and had her head bent over. I could see scalp in some spots the hair was so fine. It looked broken in some places. Like I said, struggle, but I just wanted an opportunity to help a bit. Lord, that was more than I bargained for. She needs a complete regimen, and a health assessment as well. I felt so bad for her!! She looked so defeated talking about it. :sad:
Pink lotion tho :nono:

Anaisin

I think so! I mean, I know shrinkage is a factor, but she was ringing me up, and had her head bent over. I could see scalp in some spots the hair was so fine. It looked broken in some places. Like I said, struggle, but I just wanted an opportunity to help a bit. Lord, that was more than I bargained for. She needs a complete regimen, and a health assessment as well. I felt so bad for her!! She looked so defeated talking about it. :sad:
Pink lotion tho :nono:

Pink lotion is trash. That's the only thing I used to use in my hair. Shampoo twice, a quarter size of conditioner (nobody I knew, knew the importance of conditioning, not even the black salons), Motions blow dry cream then after either blow dry as "straight" as I could or use a plug in pressing comb. Then I would put pink lotion on my hair and put it in a ponytail. Once my edges started reverting by the end of the week I would use elasta qp hair glaze to smooth them.

Continued butchering my hair with that pressing comb, paddle brush, boar brush and adding pink lotion and glaze for the next week. Salon visits between all of this helped with the outside appearance of my hair but health wise they were butchering it too.

High school days were some dark times for my hair *shudders*

fasika

1. I've totally abandoned my hair this summer. Way too much stress in my life to give a damn. I've just been cleansing and putting it away. It's grown a bit, but not as much as I thought it would. Just tugging forward while it's wet, it's now a couple of inches past the bottom of my breasts. So about a couple of inches of growth since late May.

2. I bought a Suave conditioner (deep moisture) for the first time ever, and my hair LOVED it. I was blown away. I went and bought a second bottle (this time, sleek something or other), and success again! I'm bewildered that such a cheap brand is what my hair wants, so I just use it by the palmful with no care. My wallet is thankful. It's really made my hair super moisturized, and super defined.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Me: Babe, how long do you think my hair is?
Hubby: Uhh, bottom of your neck.
Me::mad:
Hubby: I'm guessing by your facial expression that I'm wrong.

Hubby clearly doesn't understand shrinkage. I cannot wait until I've got long hair even with shrinkage. I'll only have to be knee length which shouldn't take long at all :rolleyes:.

ETA:

Me: I wrote about you online.
Hubby. You did? looks over my shoulder, grinning. Yea, I don't understand shrinkage. Wait, is that you in that picture (my avi)? No, its not you.
Me: Yes it is.
Hubby: Its cute.
Me: o_O Babe, you see me everyday.
Hubby: walks away.

Last edited:

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
*falls next to you* This is bull!!! If I measured correctly, I'm about 7 inches from my goal. I just wanna give up :cry3:

:bighug:

I dont want to protective style non stop. I'd like to enjoy my hair. Washngo arent really good for me because of the tangling. In the past I just sucked it up because I LOVE my curly hair but now a sister really would like BSL hair.

What us gon do???? I might give up in 2 years. I'll be 40.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper

I dont want to protective style non stop. I'd like to enjoy my hair. Washngo arent really good for me because of the tangling. In the past I just sucked it up because I LOVE my curly hair but now a sister really would like BSL hair.

What us gon do???? I might give up in 2 years. I'll be 40.
I'm going to protective style until the end of April, fix my diet, take allll my vitamins every day, drink more water and exercise. If I haven't gained at least 5 inches by the end of April, y'all better look out for me on the news cuz I'm going on a rampage.

Jas123

The Star of a Story
I just want to be BSL all over. WHY is it 5 inches from my Arm pit to the top of my brastrap???/ WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

* falls on the floor *
If I remember correctly (when I was relaxed) the longest/hardest length to attain was from apl to bsl... From bsl to mbl was no problem, or even wl. I'm natural now and working on becoming full mbl by 12/31/16... For my back no problem but my sides, let's just say it will be the 1st time.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
If I remember correctly (when I was relaxed) the longest/hardest length to attain was from apl to bsl... From bsl to mbl was no problem, or even wl. I'm natural now and working on becoming full mbl by 12/31/16... For my back no problem but my sides, let's just say it will be the 1st time.

Sure is the truth. Usually i get the urge to cut my hair and keep it moving. I'm trying to hold on. Barely...

Anaisin

The only thing I have on my ponytail is Shea Moisture low porosity leave in. It's so soft and has a nice sheen. It's defined also since I braid my ponytail then take it down in the morning

Another thing, adding gel to the top layer & front of my hair in sections has my hair laying so flat. I copied this video

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
Tomorrow is wash day and I'm getting sick. :cry3:I might just DC on dry hair then detangle and do some two strand twists. It depends on how I feel tomorrow.