Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

Anaisin

I think all shampoo needs to come in a 4oz option. It takes way too long for me to get through 8oz. And don't even get me started on how long I've been working on this liter of Redken lol. And ALL conditioners should come in gallon sizes or at least 16oz.

The shampoo I use actually recommends you to water it down because it works even better that way. It's true but it took me 3 years to finish the 8oz. I bought the liter, no telling how many years I'll have that.

Dee_33

Live, Laugh, Love
The shampoo I use actually recommends you to water it down because it works even better that way. It's true but it took me 3 years to finish the 8oz. I bought the liter, no telling how many years I'll have that.

what shampoo do you use? thanks

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I think it's great that a lot of people buy non mainstream products but I wish more people here bought on the ground products.

@vanray
Hi!:wave:
I am curious why you feel this way?

Which would make a really good thread actually, but I think most posters actually do buy OTG products.

There are a several that primarily buy non-mainstream products.

But this statement has intrigued me since you posted it.

Thanks!

Anaisin

@vanray

Which would make a really good thread actually, but I think most posters actually do buy OTG products.

Thanks!

I was wondering if she was referring to people that buy Siamese Twist, APB, Naturelle grow etc or the people that only buy natural/curly hair products on the ground that were previously only online. Even though Oyin, Mielle, Mane Choice, CRN etc are in stores nationwide, I still don't consider them mainstream. At least not as mainstream as Shea Moisture, Tresemme, & Pantene

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
@vanray

Thanks!
@IDareT'sHair I personally only like to buy otg because I like having immediate gratification. I like the accessibility on otg. I want to see touch and feel the product especially if I've never used it before.

SuchaLady

Ateya is engaged! She is gonna be a beautiful bride :love:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I was wondering if she was referring to people that buy Siamese Twist, APB, Naturelle grow etc or the people that only buy natural/curly hair products on the ground that were previously only online. Even though Oyin, Mielle, Mane Choice, CRN etc are in stores nationwide, I still don't consider them mainstream.
@Anaisin

I Agree. There are additional lines - Alikay, Karen's Body Beautiful etc., And I also Agree I still do not consider these lines "Mainstream"

Her 'bolded' is what I was talking about. (please see below)

IMO: Most people here buy OTG because they don't want to wait, pay shipping etc.....

I personally only like to buy otg because I like having immediate gratification. I like the accessibility on otg. I want to see touch and feel the product especially if I've never used it before.
@stephanie75miller
I Agree. The reason most people personally 'prefer' OTG Shopping.

I think it's great that a lot of people buy non mainstream products but I wish more people here bought on the ground products.

@vanray @Dayjoy

Last edited:

princess_z

I never really took hair porosity too seriously, but now that I'm natural it's just really obvious that my hair is low porosity. It's really short now so I wash it sometimes in the sink and I can see the water sitting on my hair. Product does the same thing when I apply it. It's like nothing actually wants to penetrate my strands.

This leads me to believe that when I was relaxed my hair was being over processed. I do recall some stylists that did my hair and it was like I hadn't had a relaxer at all. I would quit those stylists because I thought they didn't know what they were doing...now knowing what I know about my hair and it being low porosity I believe the only way my stylist could get the relaxer to take was by leaving it on too long.

I never timed her (the thought honestly never crossed my mind to do so) but I just don't believe she could get my hair that straight without overprocessimg it. This would also explain the thinning edges...

At any rate, all of this just cements the fact that relaxers aren't for me. More power to all my sisters who get them and have healthy, beautiful hair. My hair just isn't made for it.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I never really took hair porosity too seriously, but now that I'm natural it's just really obvious that my hair is low porosity. It's really short now so I wash it sometimes in the sink and I can see the water sitting on my hair. Product does the same thing when I apply it. It's like nothing actually wants to penetrate my strands.

This leads me to believe that when I was relaxed my hair was being over processed. I do recall some stylists that did my hair and it was like I hadn't had a relaxer at all. I would quit those stylists because I thought they didn't know what they were doing...now knowing what I know about my hair and it being low porosity I believe the only way my stylist could get the relaxer to take was by leaving it on too long.

I never timed her (the thought honestly never crossed my mind to do so) but I just don't believe she could get my hair that straight without overprocessimg it. This would also explain the thinning edges...

At any rate, all of this just cements the fact that relaxers aren't for me. More power to all my sisters who get them and have healthy, beautiful hair. My hair just isn't made for it.

Interesting.

I also feel that stylists left my relaxers on too long. I feel it was because they confused the high DENSITY of my hair for COARSENESS when my hair is not course, but fine. It relaxes quickly because it's fine, and they were relaxing the HECK OUT OF IT. I lost some hair at my edges, and that's what drove me to transition to natural hair.

This time around, I hope to go in armed with lots more knowledge. I will dictate how long I want the relaxer on, and I will go to a stylist who is all about hair growth. I will also stretch my relaxers out and care better for my edges. We'll see how it all goes. I may end up transitioning back to natural if my hair can't "take it," and if so, that's okay. :smile:

princess_z

Interesting.

I also feel that stylists left my relaxers on too long. I feel it was because they confused the high DENSITY of my hair for COARSENESS when my hair is not course, but fine. It relaxes quickly because it's fine, and they were relaxing the HECK OUT OF IT. I lost some hair at my edges, and that's what drove me to transition to natural hair.

This time around, I hope to go in armed with lots more knowledge. I will dictate how long I want the relaxer on, and I will go to a stylist who is all about hair growth. I will also stretch my relaxers out and care better for my edges. We'll see how it all goes. I may end up transitioning back to natural if my hair can't "take it," and if so, that's okay. :smile:

My hair is just the opposite I think - I think it takes longer for it to truly relax - probably longer than a relaxer should be left on in the first place hence the damage to my edges.

I also relaxed my own hair for a while being very cautious and conscious of how long it had been on. I stopped because I felt every time I relaxed my own hair it was like I had never had a relaxer at all. I thought something was wrong with my technique or the chemicals I used.

From what I've read now of low porosity hair I don't think this is uncommon for the relaxer to seem like it didn't take. Where as high porosity hair should relax quickly.

I also had a lot of breakage when relaxed. Lots of shedding. I have a TWA now so it's possible the same situation could arise with my natural hair in the future, but for now I lose very little hair. Less than I can ever recall losing with relaxed hair even when I had a pixie cut.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
My hair is just the opposite I think - I think it takes longer for it to truly relax - probably longer than a relaxer should be left on in the first place hence the damage to my edges.

I also relaxed my own hair for a while being very cautious and conscious of how long it had been on. I stopped because I felt every time I relaxed my own hair it was like I had never had a relaxer at all. I thought something was wrong with my technique or the chemicals I used.

From what I've read now of low porosity hair I don't think this is uncommon for the relaxer to seem like it didn't take. Where as high porosity hair should relax quickly.

I also had a lot of breakage when relaxed. Lots of shedding. I have a TWA now so it's possible the same situation could arise with my natural hair in the future, but for now I lose very little hair. Less than I can ever recall losing with relaxed hair even when I had a pixie cut.

Great assessments