Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

movingforward

Moving forward and onward
I went ahead and had my hair relaxed. I was natural for one year, and Tex-laxed for about One to two years.

I considered relaxing my hair myself. But I knew I wouldnt be able to do it. So I went to a random salon and chose a random stylist. If nothing else I KNEW black stylists would know how to fully relax and clipped your hair.

My hair grew from cheek length to neck length.

Naturally I hated that slicked, stuck to your head type of style. At first, I thought she overprocessed my hair. I washed and DC'ed as soon as I got home. Sitting in rollers now.

My hair is perfect! Texture! I love LYE.

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
That's wtf I said. I just don't understand how. I've only ordered from them once. It's probably going to stay that way. I miss Sage Naturaceuticals. :sad:
I'm curious since I ordered earlier and shipping was only $6. If you don't mind sharing, how big was your cart? (And I absolutely agree that after a certain threshold, shipping should be free)

I wonder if they do by weight/amount of products shipping like SSI seems to do. Or maybe by region...

Destiny9109

I would love to stick to just one or two, no more than 3 product lines for the sake of synergy, but I have yet to find a shampoo and conditioner combo that I like. I've reached my goals regardless but after 8 years of this hair journey it still bothers me. If I like a shampoo the conditioner sucks, if I like a conditioner the shampoo drys out my hair and scalp. Does anybody else feel this way? I guess I should let it go at this point lol.

CurliDiva

I used to love lurking in their forums way back. They held no opinion back, LOL!

Hi @Sharpened,

Do you remember the name of the forum?

I'm curious about some of their practices and how to incorporate in longer-strand natural hair routine:
  • Sleep with du-rag. (check)
  • Coating the hair with shampoo and then brushing to form the waves. This was the biggest shocker for me - why shampoo? (It works but curious why shampoo works so well to define waves)
  • Tying the hair down and then rinsing out the shampoo not disturbing the curl pattern. (pure genius! This make so much sense...)
  • Not removing the wet du-rag until hair and rag is completely dry - eliminates the need for styling products and their scalp stay clear. (a clear scalp has to be a great for natural oil production and thus hair growth)
  • Wondering of all the brushing is helping to stimulate their natural sebum production for such great luster and sheen.
  • We are so anti shampoo/combing/brushing- yet their hair and scalp seems to be thriving.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I would love to stick to just one or two, no more than 3 product lines for the sake of synergy, but I have yet to find a shampoo and conditioner combo that I like. I've reached my goals regardless but after 8 years of this hair journey it still bothers me. If I like a shampoo the conditioner sucks, if I like a conditioner the shampoo drys out my hair and scalp. Does anybody else feel this way? I guess I should let it go at this point lol.

Yes, this drives me crazy! If I like the conditioner, I hate the styler. Although, Camille Rose Naturals (the coconut water line and the Curl Maker gel) have been great and I haven't tried a cleanser from the brand yet.

I finally found an article that made me let it go. It basically advised that ingredients, not brand, are what should dictate product purchasing. The article author neglected to mention that pH is also an important factor, but it still helped me.

Right now my regimen has more disparate brands than ever, and I've never been happier with it. LOL.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I went to Sally's to return a product. I met 4 naturals there, and we stayed at Sally's for about 40 minutes swapping stories and helping each other.

I found a potential stylist. The one lady there who never does her own hair bought hundreds of dollars worth of Mane Choice. I hope they work! Her hair shrinks majorly and is MBL about, stretched. She spends a lot at the salon, refusing to even try doing her hair herself in sections. She says that's already too much.

She has me REALLY excited about her stylist. There is a long waiting list, and she grows hair out very healthy and long, based on her photo gallery.

I feel some kinda way about not being able to make an appointment with the stylist and instead having to go onto a wait list. So many thoughts! You honestly can't take a new client? If I'm serious, text to join the wait list? Is it that serious? Maybe so! It's hard to find good natural stylists.

Her name is Whitney Eaddy. I think she's Whitney E. at styleseat.com. She also does glam and natural make up.

Interesting.

beingofserenity

Hi @Sharpened,

Do you remember the name of the forum?

I'm curious about some of their practices and how to incorporate in longer-strand natural hair routine:
  • Sleep with du-rag. (check)
  • Coating the hair with shampoo and then brushing to form the waves. This was the biggest shocker for me - why shampoo? (It works but curious why shampoo works so well to define waves)
  • Tying the hair down and then rinsing out the shampoo not disturbing the curl pattern. (pure genius! This make so much sense...)
  • Not removing the wet du-rag until hair and rag is completely dry - eliminates the need for styling products and their scalp stay clear. (a clear scalp has to be a great for natural oil production and thus hair growth)
  • Wondering of all the brushing is helping to stimulate their natural sebum production for such great luster and sheen.
  • We are so anti shampoo/combing/brushing- yet their hair and scalp seems to be thriving.

I lovee shampoo and I love brushing and combing. When I avoided tools and relied mainly on my fingers, my hair stayed tangle 24/7 and was painful to deal with. Using the denman gets all the sheds out of my hair which further cuts down on tangles and ssks.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I feel some kinda way about not being able to make an appointment with the stylist and instead having to go onto a wait list. So many thoughts! You honestly can't take a new client? If I'm serious, text to join the wait list? Is it that serious? Maybe so! It's hard to find good natural stylists.

Her name is Whitney Eaddy. I think she's Whitney E. at styleseat.com. She also does glam and natural make up.

Interesting.
It's harder to keep clients than it is to get new ones.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Thanks, lady. That is insightful. She seems like a wonderful person from FB, instagram, etc. and the way the lady spoke about her. I went ahead and got on the wait list. This is new for me. I guess it's a good sign that she has a wait list.

Anyone who has a wait list probably has dedicated customers, which is a good sign. It won't hurt to wait it out.

How long is the wait?

GGsKin

I feel like my hair hasn't grown or retained much since October last year. I havent really been keeping up with checks, just randomly pulled some hair today while I was washing it.

I only went 10 days without washing and there was so much more shed hair than last time. I'm gonna put some garlic on my scalp next wash.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Anyone who has a wait list probably has dedicated customers, which is a good sign. It won't hurt to wait it out.

How long is the wait?

Lol. Her automated reply was blunt: She'll let you know, and you won't be picking the appointment day. She will.

Since she will let me bring my make up in and design a make up routine (included suggesting what I should keep and replace), I'll hope to get in. And because reviewers say she has "growing hands" and I need someone's eye on my hair besides mine at least once a quarter, I'll hope to get in. She does great with straightening, it seems, so I hope she ends up being my go-to for trims.

In the meanwhile, I'm finally collecting shed hair by quadrants so I can get an informative hair analysis. That should greatly improve my home hair care.

vevster

Interesting.

She must be really good. As long as she doesn't constantly cancel on people. When I was relaxed I tried to see a 'renowned' stylist with a reputation for cancelling on folks. Well, I made an appointment and she canceled. I refused to sign up for that.

Maybe once you see this new person, it will be easier to get an appointment.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Lol. Her automated reply was blunt: She'll let you know, and you won't be picking the appointment day. She will.

Since she will let me bring my make up in and design a make up routine (included suggesting what I should keep and replace), I'll hope to get in. And because reviewers say she has "growing hands" and I need someone's eye on my hair besides mine at least once a quarter, I'll hope to get in. She does great with straightening, it seems, so I hope she ends up being my go-to for trims.

In the meanwhile, I'm finally collecting shed hair by quadrants so I can get an informative hair analysis. That should greatly improve my home hair care.
Does she straighten to trim?

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Yep. This will be my third visit.
Who do you go to? I've been wanting to go after work (I work right below canal) but I don't know any type 4's who have been and have only seen one type 4 getting her hair cut one time in the many times I've been there.

I just don't have enough information lol.

vevster

Who do you go to? I've been wanting to go after work (I work right below canal) but I don't know any type 4's who have been and have only seen one type 4 getting her hair cut one time in the many times I've been there.

I just don't have enough information lol.

I go to April for my cut. I heard Nevila is good too. They are both senior stylists. Lots of compliments since I started going there.