Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

RossBoss

Does anyone have the recipe for glycerin/rose water/distilled water? I saw it in a thread a few weeks ago but now I can't find it. I need to know the correct ratios of each to use.

jsjames

What does it mean when others say your hair soak up product like a sponge?
When others do my hair someone new always states my soaks up water quickly and then another person looked at my hair and said your hair looks spongy

RossBoss

When others do my hair someone new always states my soaks up water quickly and then another person looked at my hair and said your hair looks spongy

They're speaking of its porosity. Just as a sponge is porous your hair soaks up product so it needs to be reapplied more frequently.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Does anyone have the recipe for glycerin/rose water/distilled water? I saw it in a thread a few weeks ago but now I can't find it. I need to know the correct ratios of each to use.
Why not use the rosewater alone, as a start?
I have spongy hair. It soaked up a lot of water-based product quickly, to the point that it did not look like do a darn thing. Leave-in conditioners were absolutely useless. Oil and water are my friends now.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@trueheartofgold

Here's my conclusion:

Scent-wise, the Soultanicals Monoi Moisture DC smells almost scent-free in the jar. Once on the head, it smells like perfume-y bug spray (like a perfume-y Off). It's not terrible but it's not good, either. I ended up DCing overnight (I don't like to do that, but I was just exhausted and did not re-engage with my hair and went to sleep without hopping back in the shower again). By the morning, the scent was gone.

I can't smell it at all now that it's rinsed out and have styled.

Hope that helps.

trueheartofgold

@trueheartofgold

Here's my conclusion:

Scent-wise, the Soultanicals Monoi Moisture DC smells almost scent-free in the jar. Once on the head, it smells like perfume-y bug spray (like a perfume-y Off). It's not terrible but it's not good, either. I ended up DCing overnight (I don't like to do that, but I was just exhausted and did not re-engage with my hair and went to sleep without hopping back in the shower again). By the morning, the scent was gone.

I can't smell it at all now that it's rinsed out and have styled.

Hope that helps.

Thanks! How is the moisture? Did you use it as a pre poo or deep conditioner after shampooing? Would you repurchase based on the scent or can you tolerate it if the moisture is what you're looking for in the product?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Thanks! How is the moisture? Did you use it as a pre poo or deep conditioner after shampooing? Would you repurchase based on the scent or can you tolerate it if the moisture is what you're looking for in the product?

Scent is tolerable for sure. :yep:

I used it as a true DC, right after shampooing. (I had prepooed earlier with something else). It gave me some but not a lot of moisture. However, I'm hipo, and also you know my weird track record with DCs: Even the most popular amazing ones that do a lot for almost everyone will hardly work for me. I feel like the Mielle Organics DC (has protein) is much better than Soultanicals Monoi DC on my hair.

The Afrotastic Curl Elastic (has protein) did my heart hair GREAT! I've only used it once so I need to try it a few more times, but as of now it's either the most moisturizing or the second moist moisturizing DC experience I've ever had. But I don't want to conclude anything about that too soon: I definitely need to trial it a few more times before I can conclude that definitively.

I may be able to cease investing in the Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker Penetrating Hair DC (very pricey, IMO) and just go with bought-on-sale jars of the Afrotastic Curl Elastic. :up:

If you want me to send you a free 2-ounce sample of some of my Soultanicals Monoi DC, PM me: I don't mind, especially because I don't think it's going to be a staple for me. I have only scooped out the DC with a plastic spoon: Fingers have not touched any product. I'm funny about used products though and won't be offended if issano. :lol: :kiss:

Last edited:

RossBoss

Why not use the rosewater alone, as a start?

What does rosewater alone do? I have type 4 hair, either 4a or 4b not sure yet. I want to keep moisture in it and I know glycerin is a humectant. I just purchased a gallon of veggie glycerin. I thought the glycerin had to be mixed with the rosewater and glycerin from the recipe that I saw.

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
It lasts for several months. I apply it to dry hair like a dc. Then I cover it with a plastic cap and let it process for hours. Then I shampoo it out. No conditioner needed afterwards and It makes my hair shine!
Do you get a good color deposit over black hair?

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
What does rosewater alone do? I have type 4 hair, either 4a or 4b not sure yet. I want to keep moisture in it and I know glycerin is a humectant. I just purchased a gallon of veggie glycerin. I thought the glycerin had to be mixed with the rosewater and glycerin from the recipe that I saw.
Some can use just rosewater to get the moisture needed. Using it alone first will tell you how much you hair likes it, then add glycerin a little at a time to see what ratio is best for you. Too much glycerin can dry the hair out or make it sticky.

There is no point in diluting it further with distilled water, since it is already water.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
For my next adventures, I'm going to compare gels (Super Wet, Coconut Eco Styler, EarthTone Naturals, DIY flaxseed gel with various additions, etc.).

After that, I'll be seeing/honing how I want to incorporate products that have ayurvedic ingredients.

And I just got busted: I'm not supposed to be on SM. In my defense, it was during a car ride when I couldn't possibly be exercising. :look: This is going to take some discipline.

RossBoss

Some can use just rosewater to get the moisture needed. Using it alone first will tell you how much you hair likes it, then add glycerin a little at a time to see what ratio is best for you. Too much glycerin can dry the hair out or make it sticky.

There is no point in diluting it further with distilled water, since it is already water.

Thanks! I will try these tips.

niknakmac

I'm living for this short hair. I just need a gel that will hold my curls but not be hard. I'm currently using eco styler olive oil gel. It says the hold is a 10 should I just try a 7 or 8 and see if that works? Do you ladies have any suggestions for a softer hold gel?

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
I'm living for this short hair. I just need a gel that will hold my curls but not be hard. I'm currently using eco styler olive oil gel. It says the hold is a 10 should I just try a 7 or 8 and see if that works? Do you ladies have any suggestions for a softer hold gel?
Try other gels. Here are some no particular order:
As I am curling jelly
Kinky curly coiling custard
Camille rose curl maker
Tgin curl bomb
Mielle organics honey ginger styling gel
The mane choice crystal orchid gel
Goddess curls botanical gelle
Blue berry bliss
Wetline extreme

I'm not a fan of any ecostyler.

GGsKin

I've never worn wigs and I see that lace fronts are the thing. Do you have to glue them into place?

You dont have to. You can do the 'elastic band method' by stitching in a thick elastic band at each side by the ears (the band stretches around the back of your head providing enough tension to keep the wig flat and in place). First read about that on BHM but there are plenty of YouTube vids showing this technique if you need to see it.