Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
Happy to say I'm figuring out perm rods.
For one, I can't mess with these with wet hair. And second, I need a Ton more.
I rod set my wet twists right after wash day and they dried about 80%. If I'd let them dry all the way I would've got the stretch I needed. I used most of the ones I had. If I were to set loose hair I'd likely need twice as many.

Bad&Bougee

Thanks babe! The service was great, but they still have some kinks to work out when it comes paying for your service(don't go if you're in a hurry). I think they're getting it together, because my wait wasn't as long as it was yesterday (went back for the $10 10 minute facial). The products that were used were Redken (shampoo and conditioner in light greenish bottle), Mizani products to flatiron (I think they were called Thermasmooth), and a holding spray, but I forgot what it was called.

They did a great job with your hair and it looks healthy and bouncy.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Which stylist is this?

Her name is Whitney Eaddy.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/grandioseco

She's on styleseat.

I asked her for a recommended stylist until she could fit me in. She replied that she just doesn't know anyone that can do what she does, and a recommendation would make her partly responsible for my hair.

I was just asking for a decent stylist. Goodness. It bothers me slightly when black women don't support each other (other black stylists, for example). She won't see me, and she's a stylist who knows no other stylist deserving of business. It made me feel concerned for our hair.

Maybe that's her reality, though.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Her name is Whitney Eaddy.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/grandioseco

She's on styleseat.

I asked her for a recommended stylist until she could fit me in. She replied that she just doesn't know anyone that can do what she does, and a recommendation would make her partly responsible for my hair.

I was just asking for a decent stylist. Goodness. It bothers me slightly when black women don't support each other (other black stylists, for example). She won't see me, and she's a stylist who knows no other stylist deserving of business. It made me feel concerned for our hair.

Maybe that's her reality, though.

I don’t disagree.

I agree with your POV, however, if she refers you somewhere else and you have a bad experience, you’ll blame her for sending you there because she recommended her and you trusted her recommendation. I’ve had stylist’ (Black and non) who are very careful where they send you. I know women IRL who will refer you to a salon and tell you to only go to one person.

Alma Petra

No. Just don’t leave it in for more than 5 minutes. I literally put it in and jump in the shower. It’s no different than vinegar really. Unless your scalp is really sensitive you should be fine.
Like vinegar? Hmmm. Do you think it truly has the ability to remove product build-up from the scalp?

Last edited:

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
No. Just don’t leave it in for more than 5 minutes. I literally put it in and jump in the shower. It’s no different than vinegar really. Unless your scalp is really sensitive you should be fine.
I agree. If your scalp is sensitive, a few minutes is really all you need.
While I don't do this every wash day, I've put it on and left it on for hours (naps happen :look:). But it doesn't adversely affect my scalp or hair when I do this. With that said, I will be switching it out for Pona when it gets cold. I'll add the Cantu back in for really sweaty/greasy days, otherwise it'll be back in rotation in the spring.

melahnee

my hair has been all over the place lately. just freakin wild and crazy looking. and so uneven. oh well lol. haven't had an all around trim since june, don't really feel ready for one.
my hair feels so so nice without all the bleaching I was doing. I've only dyed it with a demi twice because the color under starts showing all brassy and it's horrid, especially with the roots. still don't regret my color journey. was so fun and I will probably do it again when I grow my hair all the way out. I miss my highlighted hair! I also miss having different shades like every month :look: sounds like hair suicide but mine survived.:look:

Anaisin

I wanted to try As I Am Long and Luxe line but it was literally only 2 things left at Sally's. They had it Buy 2 get 1 free.

Also I see they have made their price labels for the new Mielle products but they don't have them in yet.

I ended up getting the Mane Choice Egyptian conditioner, oil and gel. I love the smell of these

Alma Petra

Yes. It does. Which is why it can be too strong for my scalp.
I'm sold. I'll just remove build up and wash it out quick. Everybody says that build up can clog the follicles up and cause increased shedding. I'd do anything to try and decrease my crazy shedding. Unfortunately I haven't yet found a shampoo that I can use on my scalp with every wash that will not strip my hair, so I'll go for this root rinse. Fingers crossed.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I'm sold. I'll just remove build up and wash it out quick. Everybody says that build up can clog the follicles up and cause increased shedding. I'd do anything to try and decrease my crazy shedding. Unfortunately I haven't yet found a shampoo that I can use on my scalp with every wash that will not strip my hair, so I'll go for this root rinse. Fingers crossed.
Clogged follicles can actually decrease growth a bit. How much shedding do you get? Maybe it’s normal? I can’t recommend a shampoo, but you can try a tea rinse or garlic to reduce the shedding.

Alma Petra

Clogged follicles can actually decrease growth a bit. How much shedding do you get? Maybe it’s normal? I can’t recommend a shampoo, but you can try a tea rinse or garlic to reduce the shedding.
Oh its horrendous. My hair is thinning and I have very sparse edges. I had normalised shedding in around March, April and May (I don't know why) and then it was back to bad (incidentally coinciding with the introduction of new products: As I am cowash and Palmer's cowash but I don't think I can blame them for something that had been on for years)

I currently have to wash and comb every other day just to be able to keep up with the shed hairs or else they will tangle my hair up badly. I have tried caffeine on the scalp, vitamin e oil, garlic oil in the past and I now take garlic pills, etc etc. I have put myself on things like minoxidil, spironolactone, topical betamethasone, you name it. Nothing works. Guess I just have to enjoy my hair while it lasts and before it's all gone.

VictoriousBrownFlower

Oh its horrendous. My hair is thinning and I have very sparse edges. I had normalised shedding in around March, April and May (I don't know why) and then it was back to bad (incidentally coinciding with the introduction of new products: As I am cowash and Palmer's cowash but I don't think I can blame them for something that had been on for years)

I currently have to wash and comb every other day just to be able to keep up with the shed hairs or else they will tangle my hair up badly. I have tried caffeine on the scalp, vitamin e oil, garlic oil in the past and I now take garlic pills, etc etc. I have put myself on things like minoxidil, spironolactone, topical betamethasone, you name it. Nothing works. Guess I just have to enjoy my hair while it lasts and before it's all gone.
Have you been checked out at the doc and got bloodword done? It could be a deficiency.

Alma Petra

Have you been checked out at the doc and got bloodword done? It could be a deficiency.

Thanks yeah I have. I had low ferritin and vitamin D but correcting them did nothing to help. All the other tests were okay. Must be a combination of an autoimmune and a female pattern alopecia I guess.

Alma Petra

Have you had your thyroid checked?
A thousand times. It always comes back normal. But I kept checking it because I always feel cold, colder than the people around me. You reminded me. I was planning to start myself on a low dose of thyroxine to test if I have subclinical hypothyroidism but I wasn't thinking about my hair and I just forgot the idea after I bought an electric blanket and more clothes to layer up.
Maybe I'll still do it but for the hair. Dunno, a shot in the dark.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
A thousand times. It always comes back normal. But I kept checking it because I always feel cold, colder than the people around me. You reminded me. I was planning to start myself on a low dose of thyroxine to test if I have subclinical hypothyroidism but I wasn't thinking about my hair and I just forgot the idea after I bought an electric blanket and more clothes to layer up.
I know you said you took vitamin d and iron, but I would still recommend the vitamin and mineral, just ones that are food grade. You can try thyroxine or placing a drop of iodine on your arm and seeing how the body absorbs it. Just suggestions. I don’t want you coming to find me. When I had thinning hair, it was my thyroid. You could ask to have the numbers compared to the “normal” scale. I remember when I was “slightly anemic”, my doctor had me coming to see her constantly, just for me to find out I was like 0.1 below normal. To me that’s nothing; taking iron makes me how after two pills. But with my thyroid, it made a difference.

Evolving78

It could be a circulation issue. I’m always cold.