Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

Ok, then over trimming is the devil...

Trimming just because you watched a YouTube video about trimming, now you feel like you should trim all of a sudden.

Trimming good hair off just because it's a little uneven.

I'm just a little salty about my little trim on 10/1/17 LOL ...still salty.
Unless it looks really bad, trimming is really only necessary if you are wearing your hair straight.

I tried a wash and go this morning using the olive oil Eco Styler gel and of course, it looked great while it was wet. Any cream product I put seems to just sit on top of my hair and make it white, which is what made me try the gel.

I still had pretty good curl definition after it dried (with the exception of the parts of my hair that are more wavy than curly) and I actually got a lot of compliments but it's so crunchy and stiff. I wonder if there's something I could mix it with that would fix that.

It really serves no purpose.
I agree 100%.

It helps prevent hydral fatigue.

From Science-y Hair Blog:

" 1) Oil pre-shampoo! This is one of the best times to use oil, even if it seems counterintuitive to put oil on your hair before you're going to wash it - in part to remove any excess oil. Apply a light (or heavy) oiling to your hair and leave it on for 2-12 or more hours before shampooing or otherwise cleansing your hair. The oil prevents dehydration and loss of proteins and otherwise protects and buffers your hair from water and detergent. If you get the amount of oil and leave-on time right, your hair will be more flexible and feel softer, better lubricated and if you have waves or curls, they will be better-defined. The longer you leave the oil on, the more oil will work its way into your hair. "

"Here's the deal:
You know how washing your hands too often makes them chapped - even if you don't use soap? Washing your hair ultimately dehydrates it too unless your hair is tremendously low porosity. By that I mean the cuticles are un-damaged and in such pristine condition that they don't let water in at all. Porosity is a surface thing. Oils have other great effects like making hair soft and flexible - those are partly related to porosity. Even low porosity hair can get dried out with too much washing or dry air or a lot of sunshine.

Any oil will keep the water out of your hair for a little while and that is great. Many oils can surround any chipped and broken places in your hairs cuticle covering, giving you better protection.

Hair-penetrating oils are ideal for some people's hair because they "waterproof" the inner part of your hair that swells. If we can keep water from getting into our hair and swelling it up, it won't end up waterlogged and the cuticles will chip off less and we'll keep our lovely proteins and everything that keeps out hair strong from escaping down the drain.
My top picks for oil pre-washes:
Coconut oil, sunflower oil, babassu oil, olive oil, avocado oil, a blend of these oils and any others. Castor oil is a distinct "maybe." "

Thank you for this information!

I use Blue Magic hair grease... so my hair is already Triple pre-poo'ed I guess.

I tried a wash and go this morning using the olive oil Eco Styler gel and of course, it looked great while it was wet. Any cream product I put seems to just sit on top of my hair and make it white, which is what made me try the gel.

I still had pretty good curl definition after it dried (with the exception of the parts of my hair that are more wavy than curly) and I actually got a lot of compliments but it's so crunchy and stiff. I wonder if there's something I could mix it with that would fix that.

Try mixing the gel with a couple of tbsps of oil. This will increase the gel's moisture level while removing the crunch.

I agree 100%.

Thank you for this information!

I use Blue Magic hair grease... so my hair is already Triple pre-poo'ed I guess.
Hydral fatigue is the proper term for over moisturized hair. Prepooing can actual be a culprit of hydral fatigue.
Adding a bunch of product to your hair, just to wash it out doesn’t really serve a purpose, unless the product is use to aid in detangling.

Hydral fatigue is the proper term for over moisturized hair. Prepooing can actual be a culprit of hydral fatigue.
Adding a bunch of product to your hair, just to wash it out doesn’t really serve a purpose, unless the product is use to aid in detangling.
It really depends on what you prepoo with. There's scientific evidence for certain oils preventing the fatigue, as @YvetteWithJoy linked.

It definitely helps some people. Granted, not everyone. Still standing solidly by coconut oil.

@AdoraAdora24, I'm prepooing right now with Chicoro's DIY prepoo and babyyyyyyyyyy! :yep:

I think you would LOVE it.
Thank you. I believe you and I know it's probably really luscious. I probably would love it...

But the level of slip that is in my hair right now is off the scale. I have grease and activator lol. My hair is already one big pre-poo. It feels incredibly soft. I can detangle just like this without adding water. I'm telling you my hair stays pre-oo'ed. 24/7. I have to wash it soon.

In the video below is the science for why prepooing specifically with coconut oil prevents hygral fatigue and will not cause it.

But I share just so others reading won't fear prepooing, not so that you will agree with the science. I feel people should follow their own thinking, and I'm cool with you having the take you have. :up:

ETA: Hygral fatigue is about the damage that comes from the swelling and de-swelling of the hair shaft. Coconut oil does not swell the hair shaft . . . and it prevents water from doing so! Conditioners do not protect against hygral fatigue, as the video explains.

Last edited:
As someone who uses water and oil frequently (2x/week or more), I can vouch for certain oils either preventing or reducing splits and hydral fatigue. Castor is #1 on my list, followed by hempseed, but any oil that leave a film can help. Olive, avocado, sesame, and some others do not.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but the Curls Blissful Lengths Vitamins might actually be better than Manetabolism by the Mane Choice. I really didn't want to believe the hype, but I am now a believer in liquid vitamins. The price of those Curls vitamins though.....I'll have to switch between the Mane Choice and Curls every few months.

While I was at Target today, I saw The Mane Choice's Heavenly Halo line, and I opened it up and smelled it. It smelled sooooooooo nice.

I will not add it to my list.
I will not add it to my list.
I will not add it to my list!!!

What does it smells like? :poke"You should try it out and give us a report; for research purposes of course.
Do it for your LHCF e-cousins :angeldevil:

It has been 15 days since my last wash and I have only re-moisturized my hair one time. One time! Its still super moist. That's cool. A few strands balled up fell on my arm and I felt the moisture on my arm! I looked at my arm with hair on it like "really, you're really that moist?" That was the other night while doing a mini detangle.

Eta: my hair is cool to the touch. I felt that coolness on my arm.

Last edited:
Back