Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Aw, you are welcome. I'm just speaking the truth.

You did get a trim, so maybe it was that long before the trim. I'm thinking before the trim you were between BSB and BSL. Now you are between APL and BSB. How long did you think it was?

It won't take you long to get back to where you were.

Thanks.

Yup: I thought I was BSL for sure. Perhaps it was just the thin parts that were -- the parts that got trimmed. As long as I only need 3 twists on each half to completely twist up my hair, I'm alright. I used to have to install at least 4. It's funny how much faster wash day fares in 6 versus 8 twists.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
How much DC is everyone using per deep conditioning session?

I use about 3 tablespoons (my hair is a little past APL, I believe). The hair stylist today almost FAINTED when I said that. She said I don't even need 1 tablespoon for my whole head of hair. How, Sway? I'm okay with that, especially since it would mean purchasing many less jars of DC. But, for real, how? I guess I'm applying to too much? I apply it like a relaxer.

Last edited:

Bad&Bougee

I went to a hair dresser today for the first time. One of my clients and her daughter both have very healthy natural hair (that they wear straightened), and it looks great. I decided to take a gamble and go to her for my year's end blow dry, flat iron, and trim.

:nervous2:

I am happy to report that she was awesome!!! Only ONE PASS -- ONE PASS. She trimmed as little as she could. She got me in and out.

Now, I did arrive with my hair super detangled, twisted up, saturated with a balancing DC. :look: But she did NOT rip through my hair. She combed from the bottom up, and she asked me what I wanted each step of the way.

:thud:

I don't know what to say. :cry4: Those are tears of joy.

Very pretty! She did a really good job.

PJaye

I use about 3 TBS (my hair is a little past APL, I believe). The hair stylist today almost FAINTED when I said that. She said I don't even need 1 TBS for my whole. How, Sway? I'm okay with that, especially since it would mean purchasing many less jars of DC. But, for real, how? I guess I'm applying to much? I apply it like a relaxer.

3 tablespoons?

Bad&Bougee

Shampooing in the shower is definitely faster for me. My hair also turns out better because the water helps it to lay flatter. When I wash it in the sink , I'm having to pull my hair up versus down. In the shower I get a better volume of water and I feel like my hair gets more moisturized.

I'm not sure about the shampoo and conditioner running into places :lol: Most of my shampoo is natural so if it runs anywhere it isn't that big of a deal. I'm going to shower while I'm in there anyway. Shampoo is just another version of soap.

Maybe you need to try it again and see how goes.

Sometimes I hate jumping in and out of the shower but I have a convenient cover up I use so I'm not getting dressed between steps. That makes it easier. I don't really like bending over the sink and sometimes it's hard to get my big head under the faucet. If it is super cold in the house I may shampoo in the sink.

Shampooing in the shower would be more ideal for me. Today, I noticed that when I kept my hair straight as I shampooed, I didn't have any tangles. Shampooing in the shower would force me to keep my hair straight.

Years ago when I tried to shampoo and condition in the shower my products were not all natural like they are now so I might fair better at my next attempt.

Thank you for the good info.

Bad&Bougee

I start wash day at the sink. I detangle and rinse my dc in the shower. What I don’t understand is people that shower then wash their hair or shower while they dc then rinse and jump out the shower. Grosses me out. My lady parts don’t need to be deep conditioned. I decided to cowash at the end of a shower one day and ended up showering all over again. It just felt wrong.

Yep :lachen::lachen:that was me too. I ended up taking 2 showers because the products made me feel icky. I might just shampoo in the shower and DC at the sink. My DC is a two step process that would probably take way too long if I did it in the shower.

Bad&Bougee

I wash in the shower. I prepoo for 20 minutes before I get in. Then I shampoo, apply conditioner, detangle with the conditioner in, wash my body, rinse the conditioner and get out. I spend less than 20 minutes in the shower. Probably closer to 10-15 minutes.

That's some pretty good time!!

Bad&Bougee

I wash and condition in the shower. I don’t have issues. The pressure at my kitchen sink is lower than my shower, so it would take longer at the sink. Also, I hate the bending over. I also manage to miss areas in regards to actual washing and rinsing both shampoo and conditioner. Washing and applying conditioner take about 30 minutes in the shower, but would take longer if I washed in the sink.

Bending over is a killer on the back!

Bad&Bougee

I don’t know. I shampoo, rinse, wash up, get out apply and deep condition, get back in, rinse, apply rinse out, wash/exfoliate/shave, rinse my hair, rinse my body. I’m not in there long. I’m an in and out person, plus I’m not trying to run out of hot water! Lol
You could wear a swimming suit on wash day?

Thanks @shortdub78, I think I will wear something to protect my lady parts until I get the hang of it. I really want to try shampooing in the shower and build to conditioning. My showers are already 15 to 30 minutes (30 if Pandora is playing all my jams) so I will need to get a timer and keep it short.

Bad&Bougee

I use about 3 TBS (my hair is a little past APL, I believe). The hair stylist today almost FAINTED when I said that. She said I don't even need 1 TBS for my whole. How, Sway? I'm okay with that, especially since it would mean purchasing many less jars of DC. But, for real, how? I guess I'm applying to much? I apply it like a relaxer.

Me too - apply like relaxer. I know I use too much.

Bad&Bougee

Screenshot_20171222-040227.png

I've been using this conditioner for 3 weeks and I love it. It made my hair follicles come to life (the MSM)! I get the results I want and need and my rollersets seem to last longer. I really appreciate @YvetteWithJoy for introducing me to this product line. I think I am confident enough with this line to leave Just Nutritive's product line. Pure One Beauty is definitely less expensive which is always a plus!

Evolving78

I use about 1-2 quarter size amounts. If the conditioner is coating your hair like icing, it’s too much, waste of products, and you might over-process the hair. It should be worked into the hair and melt into the hair.

Hey pretty girl! I see your avi!

Last edited:

PJaye

I don’t know. I shampoo, rinse, wash up, get out apply and deep condition, get back in, rinse, apply rinse out, wash/exfoliate/shave, rinse my hair, rinse my body. I’m not in there long. I’m an in and out person, plus I’m not trying to run out of hot water! Lol
You could wear a swimming suit on wash day?

I have a similar routine: cleanse and detangle, bathe, rinse from head to toe, get out of the shower and clean it, apply the DC, let it sit for at least an hour (if I'm taking a bath that day, I will let the DC marinate while I soak in the tub), start up the shower, bathe and exfoliate, rinse from head to toe, step out and clean it, apply finishing products, braid it up and air dry. I avoid getting products on my hootenanny et al since my back is to the shower and my head is tilted backward while rinsing my hair. The worst thing in the world for me is to flip my hair back and forth under a sink; that's just asking to be baldheaded. Every time I step in the shower, I can't leave it without lathering my body and rinsing. Call it an old lady habit.:lol:

snoop

I start wash day at the sink. I detangle and rinse my dc in the shower. What I don’t understand is people that shower then wash their hair or shower while they dc then rinse and jump out the shower. Grosses me out. My lady parts don’t need to be deep conditioned. I decided to cowash at the end of a shower one day and ended up showering all over again. It just felt wrong.

You don't want ALL of your hair to have bounce and shine?

Sorry...I couldn't resist.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Wigtypes.com is having a 45% off sale. I bought four wigs that I don't even really 'need'. :look:

eta: @YvetteWithJoy gon make me shame to post my end of the year pics. Tons of breakage in the crown. :nono: But the hair that's left looks good. :yep: :lol: (I'm this close to hacking it off, I swear. That's what I did in my relaxed days. :look:)

No, ma'am. No shame. Your crown is improving as we speak.

And, it will help someone if they see your journey.

You want me to post my edges? That will give you some sure company. :lachen:

In all seriousness, I say don't post unless/until you feel comfortable. A description works great. The main thing is having the photo for yourself. You will celebrate all the more when you have pics to compare. :yep:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Wigtypes.com is having a 45% off sale. I bought four wigs that I don't even really 'need'. :look:

eta: @YvetteWithJoy gon make me shame to post my end of the year pics. Tons of breakage in the crown. :nono: But the hair that's left looks good. :yep: :lol: (I'm this close to hacking it off, I swear. That's what I did in my relaxed days. :look:)

No ma'am. There will be no hacking. In my grandma's voice, "Don't make me get my switch."

We're natural. We can blend our breakage, right? :yep:

Evolving78

My crown looks like it was eaten by rats! If you need a crown recovery buddy, I’m here! I’m dealing with hair loss. Before, I would just cut all of my hair off, but that’s not where I’m mentally at right now. I’m doing all I can to recover. I’m going to look into some products to help with my scalp. I already have products for my hair.

Dayjoy

Old School Member

I use about 3 tablespoons (my hair is a little past APL, I believe). The hair stylist today almost FAINTED when I said that. She said I don't even need 1 tablespoon for my whole head of hair. How, Sway? I'm okay with that, especially since it would mean purchasing many less jars of DC. But, for real, how? I guess I'm applying to too much? I apply it like a relaxer.
I use about 1-2 quarter size amounts. If the conditioner is coating your hair like icing, it’s too much, waste of products, and you might over-process the hair. It should be worked into the hair and melt into the hair.

Hey pretty girl! I see your avi!

I know/figured what @shortdub78 said is right, but in my mind I feel like HOW can I feel like all my hair strands will benefit/get conditioner if I use only a couple quarters or even just three tablespoons of conditioner, especially if my hair is coily and and difficult to reach every strand easily?

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple

I use around 3 ounces per DC session on WHip length hair and detangle with it before steaming.