Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
I just got asked if my hair was real. I am at work. :eek::afro:. I know my bun is huge and all and its kinda hard to believe that it's all mine, but it is...

This is the second time I was asked. I don't blame him one bit for asking... We black women just have a bad wrap when it comes to being fake. We did it to ourselves in a way.

ETA: while he's standing over me asking me this, I tilted my head back just in case he thought of

putting his hands in my hair.

Thought: "What if it was fake? Do you expect me to tell you that it is?" .

Last edited:

CocoGlow

You'd think after all these years of seeing how long locks grow... That the myth that blacks don't grow long hair would die! C'mon!! Common sense please...

@AdoraAdora24

I think most black people know that we can grow or better yet - retain - long hair in locs but they think it's impossible as a loose natural. I mean it's only recently (like in the past 2 decades) that we've established this whole "going natural" wave where we have fellow naturals all over the world sharing tips on hair forums, blogs, Instagram & Youtube, discovering that protective stylin' & profilin', moisturizing & sealing, finger combing etc etc helps our hair thrive to lengths we've never even dreamed of.

Some don't have to do all of that and may have had effortlessly long hair as children, but for those of us that couldn't get past neck length our whole lives, this is revolutionary! I personally only thought that those with looser textures (so -called "good hair") or those with thick "durable" kinky strands could retain really long lengths because those were the only ones that I saw with long hair - the rest of us had to wear wigs, weaves & extensions to rock those lengths.

Hopefully one day soon, it will be no big deal, or a cause for doubt, weave checkin', hatin' or surprise when people see Black women rocking our OWN super big/long hair in droves! :grin:

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
I see naturals with less hair than me doing the most with their hair and I'm over here like ,:look:
Right?!! I am with you there! Please women stop doing so much! All you need is a moisturizer,a sealer, and a DC please! Hair is not that hard to maintain. Your hair will thrive if you'd just leave it alone! I could say so much more, but I won't...

Last edited:

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
@AdoraAdora24

I think most black people know that we can grow or better yet - retain - long hair in locs but they think it's impossible as a loose natural. I mean it's only recently (like in the past 2 decades) that we've established this whole "going natural" wave where we have fellow naturals all over the world sharing tips on hair forums, blogs, Instagram & Youtube, discovering that protective stylin' & profilin', moisturizing & sealing, finger combing etc etc helps our hair thrive to lengths we've never even dreamed of.

Some don't have to do all of that and may have had effortlessly long hair as children, but for those of us that couldn't get past neck length our whole lives, this is revolutionary! I personally only thought that those with looser textures (so -called "good hair") or those with thick "durable" kinky strands could retain really long lengths because those were the only ones that I saw with long hair - the rest of us had to wear wigs, weaves & extensions to rock those lengths.

Hopefully one day soon, it will be no big deal, or a cause for doubt, weave checkin', hatin' or surprise when people see Black women rocking our OWN super big/long hair in droves! :grin:

I agree with this whole post.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
I nearly cried watching this video.... like it was my own hair. :nono:

Me too! I was heart broken for her. This setback effects me as if it happened to me. There should be a thread about this video. I was just saying last night to just stick with what you know works ladies please. I do not want this to happen to any of us.

This is why I said to myself, I will use my three little products and be satisfied, no chasing waterfalls just stick to the rivers and the lakes that i'm used to. YouTube will not have me caught up,...NO.

My heart aches.

Aggie

OMG! I felt this young ladies pain so much. Her pain was literally coming through the screen at me. I mean God gave us this wonderful head of hair so I know it feels really awful to lose it. This video has definitely been very helpful and I thank you so much @Soaring Eagle for sharing it. It teaches me to ease up on my hair and just take it slowly with this hair journey.

That is why I have been scaling back since last year on the number of products I have been using. I gave away a ton of it and left myself with a few good ones that my hair likes. Whew!

Last edited:

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Me too! I was heart broken for her. This setback effects me as if it happened to me. There should be a thread about this video. I was just saying last night to just stick with what you know works ladies please. I do not want this to happen to any of us.

This is why I said to myself, I will use my three little products and be satisfied, no chasing waterfalls just stick to the rivers and the lakes that i'm used to. YouTube will not have me caught up,...NO.

My heart aches.
What are you using ?

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
What are you using ?
Hi,
I wash my hair with Liggett's shampoo bar. I DC with Hollywood Beauty Cholesterol. I moisturize with Care Free Curl Activator. And I seal in the moisture with Grease. I do this every two weeks. I don't manipulate my hair until wash day. I do "roll, tuck, pin" styles that protect my ends and requires no parting.

The hair stays moisturized for days and days. I have been doing this same routine for a long time, no changes yet. I have only been using the grease since September and it is awesome.

Angel1881

Lurker '01; Member '08; First post '17

I feel for her. I've been paying closer attention to the ingredients in my staple products. I've noted the ingredients that they have in common. If I try new products, they almost always have those ingredients.

I'm going to look at the ingredients of those products that she mentioned.

Last edited:

Angel1881

Lurker '01; Member '08; First post '17
That happened to me with using Silk Elements natural products I believe it was the co cleanser or the conditioner. I ended up getting a faded Mohawk the next day. I stretched my relaxer for 4 months. I was already recovering from Alopecia.

I tried a Silk Elements conditioner many years ago when Sally's was having a BOGO sale on that product line. I ended up returning them both to Sally's after one use because the conditioner matted up and dried my hair.

I'm a recovered product junky. I almost never return hair care products. If I don't like them, I try to make them work by adding oils or using other conditioners with them. The only other time I can remember returning products was because one conditioner had isopropyl alcohol and the other had sodium chloride.

Last edited:

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Not trying to sound churchy, but about the woman that suffered the set back. If I was her *sigh* I wouldn't have went right into trying to detangle my hair. I would have sat back, took a breath, prayed and fasted. And commanded those tangles go come loose right now in the name of Jesus!

Jesus would have took those knots out. I know because one time (about a year or so ago)I had a tangle that I knew I would have to cut, I prayed and asked the Lord to take the knot out. I was shocked that when I put the comb back to it, It was looser!! No scissors necessary.

I am just saying...

Aggie

Not trying to sound churchy, but about the woman that suffered the set back. If I was her *sigh* I wouldn't have went right into trying to detangle my hair. I would have sat back, took a breath, prayed and fasted. And commanded those tangles go come loose right now in the name of Jesus!

Jesus would have took those knots out. I know because one time (about a year or so ago)I had a tangle that I knew I would have to cut, I prayed and asked the Lord to take the knot out. I was shocked that when I put the comb back to it, It was looser!! No scissors necessary.

I am just saying...

You makin' me wanna get my shout on girl because I believe every word. I try Him like that myself especially when my abilities end and His begins. He gets glory that way,you know? We need some 'Praise Break' emoticons up in here :lol:!