Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

Discussion in 'Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion' started by AlliCat, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Prettymetty

Prettymetty Natural/4b/medium-coarse

Blog Posts:
    17 hours later and this conditioner is still in my hair. Pray for me y’all. I’ll wash it out first thing tomorrow

prettyinpurple, waff, GGsKin and 5 others like this.
  2. Lissa0821

Lissa0821 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I did a two process wash day this past weekend, which consisted of an overnight pre poo, followed by a next day wash and stream treatment, overnight air dry then styling hair. I use to do this years ago with relaxed hair. Now that I am natural is works equally as well. My hair has maintain moisture for several days before needing to be moisturized. I am quite please and plan to keep it up through the rest of the year.

3. GettingKinky

GettingKinky Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    This is how I squish to condish- but I don’t think I do it 100% correctly
    - I make sure my hair is SOAKING wet
    - I add a LOT of conditioner - my hair feels slippery
    - I finger detangle and detangle with a wide tooth comb
    - I make a cup with my hands and get water from the shower
    - I add that water to my hair and squeeze it in
    - I keep doing this until I hear a “squishing sound” and my hair stops dripping
    - I do this to my hair in 4 sections

Make sure you use a LOT of conditioner and that your hair is completely drenched.

When I’m done my hair is unbelievably wet, but it doesn’t drip at all. It feels very heavy from all of the water. At this point you are supposed to continue with your hair routine without rinsing out the rest of the conditioner, but I rinse the conditioner and then add my leave-in. At some point I’m going to skip this last rinsing step.

There are lots of videos on YouTube of the process. Lots of people flip their head upside down to do it, but that seems like it would cause too many tangles for me.

I hope it works for you, it’s been like magic for me.

4. imaginary

imaginary Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    But you are following rules. You just know the specific ones for your hair by heart now. Congrats!

5. Destiny9109

Destiny9109 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I'm browsing Ensley's site and noticed they finally reduced their shipping to $5.95 flat rate. It's about time, I can't tell you how many times that $12 shipping kept me from ordering from them.

shawnyblazes likes this.
  6. vevster

vevster Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I know I have to clarify eventually, but I'm terrified of shampoos right now. My hair was JACKED.

#COWASH4LIFE

7. LavenderMint

LavenderMint Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Basically, once your hair is good & wet, you apply conditioner to your hair and push or “squish” it in before rinsing it out. You keep adding conditioner and water until your hair is saturated and no longer so drippy. When you rinse, don’t be aggressive about it & be mindful of how you dry your hair as well so you’re not squeezing out what you just put in. My process is just like GettingKinky’s except I do it in more sections.

Apparently, here is the first post on it by the hair stylist who came up with it. This article is also one of the ones I read.
    RachaelCPR shows how she does it but with a bowl (had no idea that was a thing) in the first part of this video.

8. PlanetCybertron

PlanetCybertron Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Protein treatment over here got me like:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  9. shawnyblazes

shawnyblazes Bette Davis Eyes

Blog Posts:
  10. GettingKinky

Blog Posts:
    I put a little more effort into my “squish to condish” today (more conditioner, tilting my head so I could get my roots better) and my hair is thanking me for it. Shiny, bouncy curls. :)

11. KinksAndInk

KinksAndInk Professional napper

Blog Posts:
    Doing an impromptu big chop in the morning. Got extremely lazy and wasn't caring for my hair as I should. Ended up with a large section that is matted and tangled. Have been working on it for days now and getting almost nowhere. Will be going from hip length to about 4 inches of hair or less. Getting box braids or kinky twists Friday...

12. Prettymetty

Prettymetty Natural/4b/medium-coarse

Blog Posts:
    What? I’m sorry girl. I’ve been there though. I had an impromptu big chop from mbl relaxed to 1/2 inch natural. I was being lazy and working too much. I neglected my hair and paid the price big time.

13. GettingKinky

Blog Posts:
    I’m so sorry to hear that.

14. Nightingale

Nightingale On the Grow and Keeping it Semi-DIY

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
  15. oneastrocurlie

oneastrocurlie Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Do people buy some of these hair products at full price if they are always having sales? Like what if *insert frequent sale haver* just quit the discounts. Wonder long they'd still be in business?

16. GettingKinky

Blog Posts:
    I really want my hair to get a lot longer, but I’m not willing to do anything special to try and accelerate my growth rate. I guess I’ll just have to wait.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  17. FadingDelilah

FadingDelilah Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Trying crochet braids. I think detangling tonight is going to be the hardest part.

ItsMeLilLucky likes this.
  18. ClassyJSP

ClassyJSP Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    trying to figure out which day I have time to take my braids out and wash/deep condition my hair is exhausting.

19. icsonia22

icsonia22 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Other than wearing lazy styles, I want to have long hair just to say that I have it. I don't actually want the maintenance that comes along with it. I'm not the type to do my hair often and I'm annoyed when I do have to do it because it takes a long time and I have to be super gentle in order to avoid breakage.

20. MzSwift

MzSwift Texlaxed, Fine

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    imaginary, rileypak, GGsKin and 4 others like this.
  21. shawnyblazes

Blog Posts:
    sounds interesting. I think I'll purchase @MzSwift

ItsMeLilLucky and MzSwift like this.
  22. MzSwift

MzSwift Texlaxed, Fine

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    I did too :( LOL

ItsMeLilLucky and shawnyblazes like this.
  23. shawnyblazes

Blog Posts:
    :lachen::lachen:

24. ItsMeLilLucky

ItsMeLilLucky Aka Giveme D’Monee

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
  25. PlanetCybertron

PlanetCybertron Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    I will probably not be wearing my hair straightened again at my job for a while. I decided to use my second heat pass this year and really show off ALL of my length, and pretty much the entire closing staff lost their minds.

They hadn’t done it the last time, but the last time I wore my hair straightened it was only just brushing my belt in the back, so I guess it wasn’t as attention grabbing, since there’s about 5-6 other employees with reasonably long hair too. Today my hair was passed my back jean pockets since I’ve retained quite a bit of growth, and my more textured areas were completely straightened out as well, since I hadn’t worn it straight to work since last year or right around January.

I had received more compliments than I could count on both hands, and one of my favorite co-workers was just asking a question a minute on how my hair got this long. She’s so adorable and all around very nice to speak to. I had three managers also compliment me.

So I was feeling exceptionally well, and then....

I had three people just blatantly run their hands in my head. Two of which I know and speak to on a regular basis, but I don’t think they understood the notion of just not touching anything on anyone else without asking. Yes we are work friends, but still.

Only reason I didn’t move or curve their hand while in motion, is because they all touched it the same way: from the back, where I didn’t see them coming up behind me.

There was one co-worker, just ONE, who politely asked if she could touch my hair. I kindly declined because of the other encounters that kind of threw me off. And she respectfully nodded and still complimented me anyways. Everyone else kept their distance.

I’ve had a few other encounters like this when I was natural, but I’d always see them making an attempt and stop them before their hand even made it close enough to me because I could visibly see them.

But this is the first time where not one, but three different people just kind of....invaded my space. I hate to rain on my own parade because I had a really good work day, but idk...the way they touched my hair. It was so...rough and heavy handed. It’s almost like people transmit their intentions through how they touch. I’ve only ever had one other person touch my hair in the most gentle way ever, and that person is my husband. He touches my hair with this level of respect that I can’t really explain.

Maybe it’s just a societal thing? Idk. Maybe it’s some sort of ethnicity thing? Also don’t know. But I should mention that not a single one of the black ladies at my job touched my hair, despite complimenting me. It’s like we all have this unspoken collective of knowing that you can look , but just don’t touch.

If I didn’t know any better, the three women at my job might have some sort of unspoken jealousy? Maybe I’m reaching too far, but idk. Just...don’t touch people without asking.

Out of respect for my own crown, I will probably not do this again. I hate to say that, but it’s instances like these where I understand how irritating it is when people see a black woman with well kept hair, and all of a sudden it turns into an unwarranted petting zoo.

Rant over.

26. KinksAndInk

Blog Posts:
    Thanks. I still haven’t cut it yet probably Tuesday.

ItsMeLilLucky likes this.
  27. KinksAndInk

Blog Posts:
    Thanks. I’m still trying to work up the courage to cut it.

28. MzSwift

MzSwift Texlaxed, Fine

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    @PlanetCybertron

Wow.

Congratulations on reaching butt pocket length! That's amazingly wonderful! Love it!

And OMG at your coworkers!! After reading stories on here over the years, I've decided that I will only wear my fully straightened length when I'm out with my DH. He has learned a lot in the few years that we've been together and he helps shield me even though it's not necessary at this point. Also, I totally understand what you mean about the "respect" that he shows my hair when he does touch it. Maybe it's bc our SO's have a vested interest in us looking and feeling our best while others may not have good intentions.

I know you just spent all of that time straightening that LONG hair but I'm wondering if there's something you could rub through your hair to help "cleanse" it from that negative energy your coworkers transferred, knowingly or unknowingly.

29. shawnyblazes

Blog Posts:
  30. nyeredzi

nyeredzi Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    This is how I usually condition, because my hair is in twists when I wash and I don't want to take it out of the twists to condition. I'm just trying to save time.