Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

Napp

Ms. Nobody
You transitioners are so brave. I just cut mine off immediately. I didn’t have the patience to differentiate regimens like that. You got this! 1 year is a long time.
In the past I’ve been quick to cut it off but now my hair is longer than it has been it years I just can’t let the length go. Plus I would not be able to do my staple style, the ponytail.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
You transitioners are so brave. I just cut mine off immediately. I didn’t have the patience to differentiate regimens like that. You got this! 1 year is a long time.
That's what I usually do. This time I decided to take the scenic route :lol: I don't even know if I'm going natural, I just don't feel like relaxing lolol

GettingKinky

My hair is blow dried and fluffy and I have no idea what to do with it. I tried adding mousse and twisting it last night, but I guess I didn’t use enough mousse because it had no hold.
I’m probably just going to wash it soon and go back to being a curly girl.

oneastrocurlie

I've had my mini twists in for 3 weeks and I'm itching (not literally, I washed them lol) to take them out and get my curls back. I have a hair appointment next weekend so I'm holding out one more week. This is how I know I'm not ready for micro locs. Maybe one day.

GettingKinky

I've had my mini twists in for 3 weeks and I'm itching (not literally, I washed them lol) to take them out and get my curls back. I have a hair appointment next weekend so I'm holding out one more week. This is how I know I'm not ready for micro locs. Maybe one day.
I’m thinking about doing my own mini twists for my upcoming vacation. I can’t decide how many to do. It’s only for 2 weeks so I don’t want to spend hours putting them in. How many do you have and how long did it take?

oneastrocurlie

I’m thinking about doing my own mini twists for my upcoming vacation. I can’t decide how many to do. It’s only for 2 weeks so I don’t want to spend hours putting them in. How many do you have and how long did it take?

You know I've never counted my whole head lol. But I just counted a quarter section and it's about 20. So maybe around 100. It takes me about 4 - 5 hours, that includes some breaks and dog walks. It doesn't feel that long while watching YouTube and Netflix.

For only two weeks I'd probably reconsider. I typically go about 4 weeks. You may find you want to keep them after two weeks though.

But! They are perfect for vacation. It's my official vacation hair style.

GettingKinky

You know I've never counted my whole head lol. But I just counted a quarter section and it's about 20. So maybe around 100. It takes me about 4 - 5 hours, that includes some breaks and dog walks. It doesn't feel that long while watching YouTube and Netflix.

For only two weeks I'd probably reconsider. I typically go about 4 weeks. You may find you want to keep them after two weeks though.

I was thinking of doing 16 per quadrant. I just need to figure out how to do the parting.

MzSwift

My advice: don't bother with neat parts. I free part 98% of the way. I'll do actual parting with a comb at the very front.

Another thing I did this time was braid at the base of each twist. Just a couple turns and then twist. Looks neater longer.

Absolutely second starting them with a braided base. A rotation or two is all that's necessary.
Also, to me, they look better the messier they get so I don't care about parts either. lol
GL and have fun on vacay, @GettingKinky !!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I let my 11 year old get her hair straightened for the first time. I did her big chop about a year ago. She’s had 2 big chops since she likes to play in her hair with scissors. It’s finally grown enough to wear straight sometimes. I had her ends trimmed too.

E3872275-570D-4459-8119-CECD49D673AF.jpeg
She loves it and can’t stop touching it. I just wrapped it and tied it up. I pray the sleep cap stays on her head.

GettingKinky

My advice: don't bother with neat parts. I free part 98% of the way. I'll do actual parting with a comb at the very front.

Another thing I did this time was braid at the base of each twist. Just a couple turns and then twist. Looks neater longer.
Absolutely second starting them with a braided base. A rotation or two is all that's necessary.
Also, to me, they look better the messier they get so I don't care about parts either. lol
GL and have fun on vacay, @GettingKinky !!
Thanks for the suggestion of starting with a braided base. That seems like it will add quite a bit of time to the process. I’m guessing ~60 twists will take me around 2 hours.

Lylddlebit

Y’all why did this child of mine put growth spray in her hair this morning?! She used the clove spray that she uses while her hair is braided. Luckily she didn’t use very much and her hair didn’t revert. Thank goodness for that :)
Her hair came out nice and the story of her applying the spray reminds me of the "let me do it" mentality of my little one.

When I started doing WnGs on my LO, it didn’t cross my mind how much hair gel can resemble silly putty to a small child. Sure enough after a few months I walked in her room one day to her raking and smoothing silly putty through her hair. She was doing it right too...even mixed a little water into it so it would spread better! Luckily I have cleaned enough silly putty out of clothes and carpets to know an apple cider vinegar wash would get it out. So, I was able to do an apple cider vinegar treatment and use AG boost and balance get it all out leaving her hair moisturize and tangle free. Kids sure go for what they know lol! I’m glad your little one’s hair came out nice and didn't revert when she got her "let me do it" on lol. :giggle:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Today has been long. I worked Saturday school from 7:30-12, then drove to my Dominican salon to get a blowout. I had to stop at the seafood place by the salon, cuz the food is always on point. Now I’m relaxing. I have a bday dinner later for my teacher bestie and then my bestie from Killeen is here in Houston celebrating her bday.

I found my favorite lippie and ordered a few backups. I thought it had been discontinued, but they just rebranded.

I’m in love with my hair!
164741A7-39E2-43E1-9B11-B95D22D79AD9.jpeg

cocosweet

Sounds about right. When I do my minis I average about 80. Before I started shedding like an Angora last year, it was closer to 100. If you only want to keep them for two weeks perhaps make them medium so it's less of a time investment @GettingKinky .

I just counted the medium(ish) twists I did last night; 36. It took me a little over 2 hours. I normally just part with my fingers. I'll tweak them a bit today, I like to hover around 40-45 when they're this size.

GettingKinky

Sounds about right. When I do my minis I average about 80. Before I started shedding like an Angora last year, it was closer to 100. If you only want to keep them for two weeks perhaps make them medium so it's less of a time investment @GettingKinky .

I just counted the medium(ish) twists I did last night; 36. It took me a little over 2 hours. I normally just part with my fingers. I'll tweak them a bit today, I like to hover around 40-45 when they're this size.
Do you do yours on wet hair or blown out hair?

GettingKinky

Do you do your twists on wet hair or blown out hair?

Fashionista922

Back at it! 4b/4c High Porosity Relaxed hair
I have come such a long way. The photo in the white was taken in 2018 and the blue one was earlier today. It's frizzed and bent but I surprised myself when I looked at it... I spent many years stuck at SL perpetually starting over, but turned things around in a big way at the end of 2021.
Why do I still feel like my hair is short? I think I'm suffering from "hairexia". Does anyone else ever feel that way? Will the feeling pass when I get to MBL or WL?

Screenshot_20230507-165409.png

MzSwift

I'm not going to double check with my length check shirt but my hair now grazes the top of my bra!! I can't believe it! :gorgeous:
I have come such a long way. The photo in the white was taken in 2018 and the blue one was earlier today. It's frizzed and bent but I surprised myself when I looked at it... I spent many years stuck at SL perpetually starting over, but turned things around in a big way at the end of 2021.
Why do I still feel like my hair is short? I think I'm suffering from "hairexia". Does anyone else ever feel that way? Will the feeling pass when I get to MBL or WL?

View attachment 489245

Whohoo!! Way to grow, ladies!

And no, @Fashionista922 , it doesn't go away. :lachen:
It's so crazy bc pre-hair board, anything longer than shoulder length was long hair. But now that I know better and have seen better from ladies on here, I never feel like I have enough hair. lol