Read the Bible Through in 2010...on Facebook!

plainj

I'm doing well in my reading. Keeping up now more than before. I'm learning just how much God loves me and cares for me. It feels good. We are in 1 Sam (with David) and psalms. Now I see why David was a man after God's own heart. God is such a big, wonderful, beautiful God.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
His Spirit is Holy, but patient. He works on me every day as we battle my sins one at a time. Sometimes, He lets me flounder so I can see how far I have grown, how much I need Him and as a warning to my offensive behavior or thoughts.

He has been at work in all my life, even during my ignorance. I know what it feels like to have the Spirit depart. The sudden, unexplained chill that jolts you from a deep sleep; the disgusting emptiness which forces you to grope for comfort anywhere. Without true repentance, one can grow used to it over time, and I have... not anymore, never again. I want more than what the flesh and the world can provide! After all, it is all dust and dirt in the end.

Daily, I check to make sure you are within me. Please, do not forsake me; continue your work as we scrub this temple in which you dwell. My tasks in life may seem menial and detrimental to this world, but in Yours eyes, Father, I want to do Your will, no matter how much the flesh hates it. Thank You for calling me out. Amen.

Oops...posted this in the wrong thread!

Last edited:

JinaRicci

It's ok Nymphe. :lol: Your testimony is a blessing all the same.

I'm doing well in my reading. Keeping up now more than before. I'm learning just how much God loves me and cares for me. It feels good. We are in 1 Sam (with David) and psalms. Now I see why David was a man after God's own heart. God is such a big, wonderful, beautiful God.

Isn't that amazing that with all the wrong that David did that God still considered him a man after His own heart?

I read about Solomon a couple weeks ago and the contrast b/w father & son was so interesting. Solomon was blessed with so much wisdom from God but he just couldn't see how being with 700 heathen women could affect his relationship with God. That seems so obvious but it was like he was too smart for his own good. Not once did he turn back. He started off well but he ended badly.

David on the other hand had lots of bumps all along the way but was truly repentant and open to God in all aspects of his life. I think that shows how wonderful God is that despite our faults, we can be held in such high esteem by Him if we are open and willing to let go & let Him in.

plainj

Yes JinaR. I love how David was ALWAYS in God's face. I'm only beginning 2 Sam. but in everything David went through so far/ every step he took, there was a psalm/ a song/ a lament/ a praise/ a worship to God. I am learning so much through David to apply to my own life. It's wonderful.
I can't wait to read about Solomon to see the contrast between father and son.

loolalooh

I hope everyone's reading is going well. I took a break from the NT and started the OT ... taking it all the way back to Genesis. I read the book before (years ago) but will read it again with more understanding and openness. Right now, it's after the global flood and Noah and his fam are repopulating the Earth. Some observations/reminders so far:

- God is patient (first Adam and Eve mess up, then Cain, then majority of the human race mess up hence flood, and now we're messing up. For Him to still stick with us after all these years is amazing.)
- God is above our understanding + we should accept this (scientists attempting to recreate life from scratch - they need leave it be; Adam and Eve not grasping why they couldn't eat from the tree - they should've left it be)
- God knows what's best for us + we should just listen (Adam and Eve disobeyed and ate from the tree, versus Noah obeying thus protecting his family from the flood)

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
It's going good, Loolalooh...that's a good breakdown of Noah and the flood. ITA that disobedience to God can affect our families as well. :yep:

We've just wrapped up Songs of Solomon last night; I'll just say studying this with a teen was interesting... :laugh: DH spent a good while discussing Chapter 1, verse 5:
I am black, but comely, O ye daughters of Jerusalem, as the tents of Kedar, as the curtains of Solomon.

When we read Chapter 5, verse 14: His hands are as gold rings set with the beryl: his belly is as bright ivory overlaid with sapphires, my nephew said "six pack!"

I find that the Scriptures my nephew remembers most are the ones we had fun discussing. Each night, we review the previous night's study before we start the new one.

JinaRicci

Hey Ladies, How's it going? I'm catching up but reading Chronicles.

This morning was about David reclaiming the Ark of the Lord and giving thanks and praising God. I like the Psalm that he wrote in 1 Chron 16: 8-36.

8 Give thanks unto the LORD, call upon his name, make known his deeds among the people.
9 Sing unto him, sing psalms unto him, talk ye of all his wondrous works.
10 Glory ye in his holy name: let the heart of them rejoice that seek the LORD.
11 Seek the LORD and his strength, seek his face continually.

loolalooh

It's going good, Loolalooh...that's a good breakdown of Noah and the flood. ITA that disobedience to God can affect our families as well. :yep:

We've just wrapped up Songs of Solomon last night; I'll just say studying this with a teen was interesting... :laugh: DH spent a good while discussing Chapter 1, verse 5:
I am black, but comely, O ye daughters of Jerusalem, as the tents of Kedar, as the curtains of Solomon.

When we read Chapter 5, verse 14: His hands are as gold rings set with the beryl: his belly is as bright ivory overlaid with sapphires, my nephew said "six pack!"

I find that the Scriptures my nephew remembers most are the ones we had fun discussing. Each night, we review the previous night's study before we start the new one.

I don't think I've ever entered the Songs of Solomon. Looking forward to getting there soon. LOL at your nephew! Love it.

Hey Ladies, How's it going? I'm catching up but reading Chronicles.

This morning was about David reclaiming the Ark of the Lord and giving thanks and praising God. I like the Psalm that he wrote in 1 Chron 16: 8-36.

8 Give thanks unto the LORD, call upon his name, make known his deeds among the people.
9 Sing unto him, sing psalms unto him, talk ye of all his wondrous works.
10 Glory ye in his holy name: let the heart of them rejoice that seek the LORD.
11 Seek the LORD and his strength, seek his face continually.

I notice that we're all (includes plainj) touching upon David or Solomon. Hmm. :grinwink: I like the verses you quoted, especially verse 11.

loolalooh

Hey all. It's going well, JinaRicci.

I just finished reading about Abraham and Sarah bearing Isaac and later Abraham preparing to sacrifice Isaac. It reminded me that a) God is faithful to His promises and b) He more than deserves our dedication.

I'm also reading Psalms. Psalm 13 was really encouraging. My fave verse from Psalm 14 is:

1 The fool says in his heart,
"There is no God."

Look around us. Isn't it clear that He is real and the truth!?! Yes!

Laela

^^^ Loolaloh, He is real and He is the truth! ITA...

We've started Job and my nephew is intrigued with it all, especially when he read where, each time the angels came to present themselves to God, there came Satan, too. We all know the story of Job; but when his wife asked him if he's still holding on to his "integrity" and to just curse God and die, what we see here is a good example of people bondage and being more concerned about the wrong thing. Job's morale was low, but his morals never wavered during his testing.

In chapter 4, we see how Satan is quite the liar when he approaches Job's friend :yep::
Can a mortal be more righteous than God?
Can a man be more pure than his Maker?

18 If He puts no trust in His servants,
If He charges His angels with error,

19 How much more those who dwell in houses of clay,
Whose foundation is in the dust,
Who are crushed before a moth?

JinaRicci

Hey Everyone, I enjoyed this morning's reading on how God saved Hezekiah and Jerusalem from the Assyrians. Just want to share this text of encouragement:

2 Chronicles 32: 7-8
Be strong and courageous, be not afraid nor dismayed for the king of Assyria, nor for all the multitude that [is] with him: for [there be] more with us than with him:

8 With him [is] an arm of flesh; but with us [is] the LORD our God to help us, and to fight our battles. And the people rested themselves upon the words of Hezekiah king of Judah.

Laela

Morning ladies,

I'm so glad this thread is still going... :clap:

We're still in Job / started Acts / still in Deuteronomy and it's good to 'see' the cross-referencing of Scripture without a concordance, as all three explore the blessings and curses for those who do not observe God's Law.

Pivotal is the story of Anaias and Sapphira in Acts 5 and how they lied to the Holy Spirit by stealing from the church. The Early Church was so different from "church" today. the more we read into Acts, the more we realize those days are returning as Christians suffer the kind of persecution the apostles experienced, beatings, torture or imprisonment.

In Acts 5:41 when the apostles were finally freed from the council, they actually REJOICED that they were counted worthy to suffer shame in Jesus' name!

I had to stop to ask myself: Am I really ready to die for Jesus? To suffer for the Kingdom of God?

Reading Deuteronomy puts things in perspective concerning the blesses and curses. Even though we don't live under the traditional Levitical law but God's Law (through Jesus), the blessings and curses are still there.

Obedience to God's Commandments is the key to whether we are blessed or cursed by God.

Laela

I listened to Mary Welchel's snippet on this morning's broadcast, and thought I'd share it in this thread:

God, I Can't Hear You!

I’ve often spoken about how to develop good listening skills, because they are essential for our success—success in business, success in our relationships, success in learning and growing.

For years I’ve been consciously working at becoming a better listener, because I’m not a naturally good listener—I’m a talker! But by putting some simple disciplines in place, I’m a better listener than I used to be. I try not to interrupt, or complete the other person’s sentences, or let my mind wander when I’m supposed to be listening. I try to give good eye contact and screen out distractions when I listen. There are simple things we can all do to become better listeners, and believe me, you will reap wonderful benefits from that. People love people who listen.

But how about listening to God? Do you ever think about what you need to do to hear God’s voice? If you feel like, “God, I can’t hear you,” maybe it’s because you haven’t learned how to listen to God. In Psalm 81 we read:

If my people would but listen to me, if Israel would follow my ways, how quickly would I subdue their enemies and turn my hand against their foes!

In Psalm 85 the Psalmist says,
“I will listen to what God the Lord will say; he promises peace to his people, his saints—but let them not return to folly.”

So, listening to God is first of all a choice we make: “I will listen to what God the Lord will say.” He doesn’t usually speak to us until we have ears to hear. But how does God speak to us?

Hebrews 1:1-2: In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe.

2 Timothy 3:16 - 17: All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Mostly God speaks to us through the written Word. That means we have to make time in our lives to read the Word for the sole purpose of hearing God speak to us personally. Sometimes I find myself reading the Bible just because I’m supposed to. That doesn’t do much good. But if you read it for the sole purpose of hearing God speak to you, God will speak to you through his Word.

May 26, 2010
http://christianworkingwoman.org/node/1047

Laela

How's everyone doing with their studies?

We've fallen behind and doubling up to make up.. but we're almost of out Job, just finished Joshua, still in Acts and heading into Judges. Peter's vision in Acts 10 (where God instructed him to witness to the Gentiles) and the centurion's visitation by an angel was a great reminder for me that the Holy Spirit transcends time and space. :yep: had Peter not obeyed the Holy Spirit when Cornelius's men came to get him, he'd not have realized what the dream really was about, since he was still trying to figure it out on his own at the same time those men came to get him. God's timing is always perfect.

JinaRicci

Hey Laela- I am soooo behind. But I plan to catch up this week too. It's so good to hear how you're progressing.

Thanks for your encouraging post. I was complaining just this morning- less than an hour ago & your reminder that God's timing is not ours is just what I needed to hear.

Laela

That's OK, Jinna... I'm right there with you, so we'll just have to encourage one another. You'll make it to the end... :yep:

My boy is out of the country and it feels weird reading alone with DH...I miss his dramatic antics and questions. We're now in Judges / still in Acts and almost out of Job. I'd like to do a study solely on Job. The Scriptures we (DH and I) are all too familiar with are shedding layers and we need to dig some more.

The story of Gideon is where we get the expression "Stop trying to fleece God" and a timely reminder that no matter how insignificant, weak or of no use to God I think I am -- He can use me because He has a plan for me. I believe this is true of everyone.

Stay blessed!

Uber

Well Done Ladies.

I'm doing ok. I have missed out a few passages. If I miss a day I haven't gone back. This is because the last time i kept promising myself that I would catch up, missed days became missed weeks. The more days i missed the more of a task it became and I would keep promising myself I would catch up tomorrow. As we all know, tomorrow never comes. I figured a day here and there missed would be better than an entire book.

How has this affected everyone's spiritual life.

I find I am more dependant on God, more connected to him. He si more significant to me when I stay in the word.

Last edited:

JinaRicci

Bess- I think that's a great idea! I think the key is to keep reading God's word because we can become overwhelmed with how much we need to make up and miss out on the daily nourishment. We can always go back as we do with other passages for clarification. I'll keep doing this next yr and by then should cover the entire Bible.

Uber

Bess- I think that's a great idea! I think the key is to keep reading God's word because we can become overwhelmed with how much we need to make up and miss out on the daily nourishment. We can always go back as we do with other passages for clarification. I'll keep doing this next yr and by then should cover the entire Bible.

^^ exactly!! :)

Laela

Bess, you're right about that! Reading God's Word shouldn't be a "burden"...actually nothing about my relationship with Him should be a burden... Amen

I'm doing ok. I have missed out a few passages. If I miss a day I haven't gone back. This is because the last time i kept promising myself that I would catch up, missed days became missed weeks. The more days i missed the more of a task it became and I would keep promising myself I would catch up tomorrow. As we all know, tomorrow never comes. I figured a day here and there missed would be better than an entire bo

Last edited:

JinaRicci

Well Done Ladies.

How has this affected everyone's spiritual life.

I find I am more dependant on God, more connected to him. He si more significant to me when I stay in the word.

To answer your question, I find that I am closer to God & I am able to hear & distinguish his voice so much better.

At the same time because of that I find myself experiencing things that I've never ever had to deal with before. My brother who is so gifted and has so much going for him has been dealing with questioning God's existence, interest in agnosticism, depression & thoughts of suicide (it's so hard for me to even say that word).

But I know what this is & I know God has it all under control & I'm not losing my faith in Him no matter what happens.

Last edited:

Laela

Morning! How's everyone doing? :sunshine:

We're getting ready to wrap up Acts, just started Ruth and are back in Psalms. Summarizing Acts, we see the best example of God using ordinary people to do his extraordinary work, the main one, Paul, a Christian-hating murder who became the greatest Christian evangelist. We're all too familiar with Paul. But we also see in Acts that God used persecution of the disciples to expand Faith.... the more they were persecuted, the greater their Faith. This is how Christians live today, too. Persecutions/hatred/false witnessing...all those experiences are there to make a Believer's faith stronger and to keep them close to God.

We also read Psalms 46 and 47, which both tie in nicely with what we're reading in Acts. Psalms 46 is what I'm meditating on today, particularly Verse 10. When we read that, the people I know who have rejected God, like that atheist, came to mind. Their not believing, doesn't mean God doesn't exist! If only they would be still.. :nono:

PSALMS 46
1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
2 Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
3 Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof.
Selah.
4 There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High.
5 God is in the amidst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, and that right early.
6 The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved: he uttered his voice, the earth melted.
7 The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge.
Selah.
8 Come, behold the works of the Lord, what desolations he hath made in the earth.
9 He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in the fire.
10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.[/B]
11 The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge.
Selah.

loolalooh

Hey ladies,

I've been reading though I haven't been posting much in this thread. I've fallen off from 2x a day to 1x every few days, but I'm getting back up to at least 1x daily. I'm in Exodus, which is working out well considering that I'm in a wilderness similar to the Israelites.

Exodus 19
"10 And the LORD said to Moses, "Go to the people and consecrate them today and tomorrow. Have them wash their clothes 11 and be ready by the third day, because on that day the LORD will come down on Mount Sinai in the sight of all the people. 12 Put limits for the people around the mountain and tell them, 'Be careful that you do not go up the mountain or touch the foot of it. Whoever touches the mountain shall surely be put to death. 13 He shall surely be stoned or shot with arrows; not a hand is to be laid on him. Whether man or animal, he shall not be permitted to live.' Only when the ram's horn sounds a long blast may they go up to the mountain." " (NIV)

I think we sometimes forget just how Holy the Lord is vs how filthy we are.

loolalooh

How's everyone doing with their studies?

We've fallen behind and doubling up to make up.. but we're almost of out Job, just finished Joshua, still in Acts and heading into Judges. Peter's vision in Acts 10 (where God instructed him to witness to the Gentiles) and the centurion's visitation by an angel was a great reminder for me that the Holy Spirit transcends time and space. :yep: had Peter not obeyed the Holy Spirit when Cornelius's men came to get him, he'd not have realized what the dream really was about, since he was still trying to figure it out on his own at the same time those men came to get him. God's timing is always perfect.

I needed to be reminded of that Scripture. All too often we try to figure things out on our own and miss God's lead. Thank you.

JinaRicci

Hey everyone- all the ladies posting in this thread & everyone who is reading- let's do this! We've made it so far so let's keep encouraging each other & make it to the end.

Today I read Proverbs 13-15. I like Proverbs & this promise in Ch 14:

26In the fear of the LORD is strong confidence: and his children shall have a place of refuge.

JinaRicci

Proverbs 24-26 this morning.

I need to remember this text: Proverbs 24:17

Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth: