Read the Bible Through in 2010...on Facebook!

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
^^^ sobering Scripture, Jinna. A devilish grin only means I've not forgiven nor blessed my enemy who cursed me...the opposite of what God instructs me to do. I'd been there. It's not good. :yep:

We're still chugging along with our sessions. We're in Romans / 1 Samuel and Psalms. We'd read about the ark being stolen, returned, Jacob insisting that God send him a king, Saul being chosen as king, a disobedient Saul not trusting what the priest (Samuel) says ... Well, Jacob doesn't want to worship or acknowledge the one true God but he wants to serve a king! :perplexed: This passage is pivotal in that it serves as a basis for being careful of what we ask God for, because we just might get it.

My nephew's about to be introduced to David..that should be good.. :laugh:

Enjoy your readings/studies Ladies!

loolalooh

Proverbs 24-26 this morning.

I need to remember this text: Proverbs 24:17

Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth:

So do I. It seems this is a tough one for many to keep in mind. Thanks for another reminder!

^^^ sobering Scripture, Jinna. A devilish grin only means I've not forgiven nor blessed my enemy who cursed me...the opposite of what God instructs me to do. I'd been there. It's not good. :yep:

We're still chugging along with our sessions. We're in Romans / 1 Samuel and Psalms. We'd read about the ark being stolen, returned, Jacob insisting that God send him a king, Saul being chosen as king, a disobedient Saul not trusting what the priest (Samuel) says ... Well, Jacob doesn't want to worship or acknowledge the one true God but he wants to serve a king! :perplexed: This passage is pivotal in that it serves as a basis for being careful of what we ask God for, because we just might get it.

My nephew's about to be introduced to David..that should be good.. :laugh:

Enjoy your readings/studies Ladies!

Your summary sounds so exciting ... like an adventure! Lol. 1st Samuel is one of many books I have yet to read fully; I've only gotten as far as Hannah in that book and that was only because I heard a sermon about her. You ladies and this forum remind time and time again to read, read, read outside of church.

loolalooh

I'm in Exodus 26/27. The book is a difficult one for me particularly in these chapters where the Lord states rules for Israel to follow in addition to the commandments. It is tempting to think that the rules are superfluous. However, I try to keep in mind that God has a great plan for this nation. These rules are in place to protect the people and to set them apart from other nations. God knows what He is doing; Israel (and us) need only listen and follow.

JinaRicci

Hey Loolalooh! Do you mean all the details for the sanctuary? Here's a pic to help you visualize.

Laela

It is...an adventure :laugh: every time.

That's what we're here for..to encourage and fellowship with one another, loolalooh. So, ITA the forum is beneficial in some ways.

We're using the schedule in the back of my African American Jubilee Bible and the cross-referencing of the scriptures helps make it easy to explain to my nephew. For example Romans 8 expounds on being with God and who can stand against us when He is with us. We then went to 1 Samuel 17 to read about the battle between David and Goliath, which is the perfect example for Rom 8:28-31...then on to Psalms 63, where we see how David keeps himself in God's presence.

See ya next time! :)

So do I. It seems this is a tough one for many to keep in mind. Thanks for another reminder!

Your summary sounds so exciting ... like an adventure! Lol. 1st Samuel is one of many books I have yet to read fully; I've only gotten as far as Hannah in that book and that was only because I heard a sermon about her. You ladies and this forum remind time and time again to read, read, read outside of church.

Last edited:

JinaRicci

Good morning! Today I started reading Song of songs then realized that I had skipped Ecclesiastes yesterday. Both were easy reads. Song of songs is a book that I usually don't get into. :wink2: But it was good.

loolalooh

Hey Loolalooh! Do you mean all the details for the sanctuary? Here's a pic to help you visualize.

Thanks for the diagram, JinnaRicci! These details will be coming up; the last time I went through this book I got so overwhelmed by the layout of the sanctuary. Thanks again.

loolalooh

Y'all may already know about this, but just in case, here's a link to subscribe to daily Bible verses: http://www.EverydayBible.com .

Yesterday's verse really struck me:

Not what goes into the mouth defiles a man;
but what comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man. (NKJV)

Matthew 15:11

Laela

I'm digesting Romans 9 today... and we read about David and Jonathan's relationship -- soul tie in 1 Samuel. We can develop soul / faith ties with people we bond and fellowship with. Loyalty is a great characteristic for a Christian..yet we must be vigilant with whom we yolk ourselves with and with whom we are on guard against, even if they are family. Saul so hated David in his heart, he was willing to kill his own son... so much for family. lol

JinaRicci

I'm digesting Romans 9 today... and we read about David and Jonathan's relationship -- soul tie in 1 Samuel. We can develop soul / faith ties with people we bond and fellowship with. Loyalty is a great characteristic for a Christian..yet we must be vigilant with whom we yolk ourselves with and with whom we are on guard against, even if they are family. Saul so hated David in his heart, he was willing to kill his own son... so much for family. lol

That's a hard thing to do and to comprehend but it's so true.

Laela

Morning..morning..morning!!! :sunshine:

I look forward to getting to Isaiah, too, and reading your revelations on that book. It's my mom's favorite Scriptures. :yep:

We're still reading about David and Saul...David playing a mad man to escape. Psalms and Romans 11 - which explores the Gentiles gaining access to God and how mysterious His ways are, that no man knows His ways...what man can teach God to govern His world?... serious questions to digest...

plainj

Hi ladies. I am still in this race. I got a little behind since I went on vacation. I am at july 24's reading but I am determined to catch up without skipping. I haven't been on the forum in a while. I am focusing on my Word. God's Word is truly a lamp unto my feet. It's more than gold.
I just finished Isaiah and wow.....I am coming out of Isaiah with more fear and reverence for God, more sympathy, compassion, and respect for the true prophets of God who are not afraid to speak up. I think the books of the prophets are my favorite.
God bless you all.

Last edited:

JinaRicci

God bless you too plainj!! It's so good to hear from you and how God is revealing His Word to you. That's just wonderful. Thanks for sharing your praise testimony.

FebeeSigns

Hi Ladies. I'm not very close with God or Jesus Christ. I'd love to begin reading the bible to get to know them more. Is there any version or book/chapter you'd recommend me to start off with?

JinaRicci

Hi Karamel, It's very nice to hear from you! I think starting with Genesis and then the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John) will help you get to know God better because to me these books show who God is and how much He loves us. From how He created this world to how He redeemed us, it will be so clear.

Please join us in here too. That is so wonderful what you are doing. We would love to hear your views and what you're learning as you read.

FebeeSigns

Thanks so much Jina! I'll have to purchase a bible first lol. Perhaps the kings james version. I was raised as a christian but stopped going to church as a child once my parents divorced. I don't remember much about what I learned of God. I'll try and read up every sunday since I am a college student on probation with a lot of study time.

loolalooh

Fell off but back on track for the long haul. Read Psalms 27 and aiming to complete Exodus. I'm eager to read about the remainder of Israel's disobedience and wilderness.

Laela

How's everyone doing with their studies? We're getting ready for Hosea...

God bless

JinaRicci

Hi Laela, Good to hear from you. I am a bit off schedule but finishing up Hosea. Can't wait to hear from you on this book. When I was little I used to think that Hosea's wife being a w___ was just symbolic. I still can't wrap my mind around this to this day. I'll wait to discuss with you.

How is everyone else doing? Thanks so much everybody for all the encouragement.

Laela

Hi, Jinna,

Hosea is a short book but packed with so much Word, I'm still digesting..a familiar Book that's new to me :lol: Yes I believe his wife was symbolic of Israel. It's all about God's relationship with His people; the iniquity, the rebellion, the insincerity of Israel's repentance, all were seen through Hosea's relationship with his harlot wife, so that he can understand fully God's relationship with Israel. Even when his wife left to go back to her whoring ways (Israel's apostasy and seeking other idols), Hosea still loved her, still cared and provided for her - though she didn't know it. This is going on now, in the House of God.
God not only loves His People, despite their whore-mongering; He yearns for them. He still provides for them, even if they don't pray, humble themselves, turn away from iniquity. That hurt, to love someone who doesn't love you back. I've been there in past relationships. But a people who are defiant and refused to obey are entreated to return to God --- spelled out in Chapter 13. (Hmmm... funny correlation to filing Chapter 13 bankruptcy huh? LOL) OK, I'm being silly here. But my point is, God won't strive with Israel for long; Israel is indebted to God for her ungratefulness. She still has time to repent.

I believe, though, we are really close to the end of the ages... most if not all prophecies are already fulfilled, so it's not a matter of how much longer, but when. Have mercy on our souls... I've often used the Scripture to say He is coming back for a church without spot or wrinkle -- and I believe this to be the Remnant mentioned in Revelations 12:17
And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

So, wouldn't you say the Remnant exists... that God already has His Church without spot or wrinkle? :yep:

Oh - Funny thing while reading Hosea with my nephew. We were reading on chapter 6, and when we read verses 9 and 10, my nephew asked "Oh, like that Eddie Long dude"... I had to pause. :drunk: I don't talk with him about all this stuff going on with The Church, but I'm not surprised at his wisdom. That came from within him. We pray for wisdom and discernment before reading and thank God for wisdom after reading. Last night we started on King Salomon's reign (1 Kings 3) and my nephew enjoyed the story of the two harlots who came before the new king, fighting over that baby. That Scripture on the surface is what it is, but I also believe that it is a great Scripture for parents and how important it is to keep their children from being snatched by death (both figuratively and literally). We had a healthy discussion after that, too. I had to assure him I'd do anything I could to keep him from being killed, anything, because I loved him. It ties in nicely with Hosea. So I know he's "getting it".

I'd love to hear your take on Hosea as well..

We've been slow to studying but are committed with the schedule.. how's your reading going?

Last edited:

JinaRicci

Hi Everyone! Hope your Bible studies are going well.

In the last couple weeks left of the year, I hope we can encourage each other to keep studying and praying for enlightenment every day of the year. It's been a good, interesting journey. What I think we all got from this experience is the importance of not so much the schedule but of spending dedicated time seeking God & His instructions every single day.

Laela- that was just beautiful. Sorry that I'm so late. My take on Hosea, like yours was that was all about the relationship with God. It's so amazing how God used Hosea's relationship with his wife to demonstrate how He doesn't give up on us. From this book, I actually got how much God really hates divorce and how He will work tirelessly to keep us from getting separated from Him and His love.