Real Henna...

naturalgurl

Hello girls! I wanted to run a thread about henna. If this is a repeat please forgive me, but I feel this is important. Someone asked me about henna. She said her experience was painful. I recieved some excellent guidance from CenteredGirl who directed me to this website: http://www.hennapage.com/henna/ccj/
Read it. Henna's with coloring added are hazardous and can be harmful. This henna is body art grade and is mixed with pure lemon juice, grapefruit juice, orange juice, rain water or anything mildly acidic. You leave it for 12 hours before you apply. So I won't get the red stain I get the inidigo. The indigo is mixed with water and then let it sit for 15 minutes before adding to your henna mixture. Stir them together and apply. Let sit for 1 to 5 hours and heat will give you a darker stain. It's all there in the directions. But her site tells you about other henna's that are dangerous and which kind should be used on the hair and body. Just wanted to be informative and make sure we're all on the same page. I've heard horror stories about henna and this made me wonder what kind are people using????

JustKiya

I think that almost anytime someone asks about henna, the hennaheads on the board STRESS that it HAS to be BAQ (Body Art Quality) henna - and the only color is should be is RED. A henna that claims to make your hair a different color is - suspect, always. Might be cool (like the LUSH stuff), but it has to be doublechecked, first.

PassionFruit

There is some MISinformation about non-BAQ Henna... I dont know much about LUSH brand henna just there are some commercial brands that are pre-mixed to the color of your choice that are just as safe as BAQ Henna... They dont contain any of the baddies and all of the good conditioning qualities of BAQ.... They are just as cost-effective as BAQ and have less hassles when it comes to mixing

There are 2 or 3 brands Im intimately aware of:

Rainbow Henna ( sold at Whole foods) is NATURAL henna but also gives color..
*All Natural * NO Additives * NO Chemicals

http://www.rainbowresearch.com/html/henna.htm

Rainbow Henna has no additives, chemicals, or pesticides. Rainbow Henna coats each hair shaft with color. Blends naturally. Fades gradually. Lasts 4-6 weeks. Smooths and seals the hair's cuticle for greater shine and body. Our custom-tailored recipes can be used for special effects, covering grey, and improving texture.

Available in the following shades:
Black -True, deep black tones(ebony)
Dark Brown -Rich, brown tones (sable)
Medium Brown -Warm, brown tones (chestnut)
Light Brown -Light brown tones
Red -Full spectrum of red tones
Sherry -Rich, red tones (light auburn)
Mahogany -Woodsy red tones(medium auburn)
Burgundy -Burgundy brown tones (dark auburn)
Copper -Rich, copper red tones
Strawberry Blonde -Light, golden red tones*
Blonde -Brightens and highlights*
Marigold Blonde -Golden blonde tones*
Neutral -Deposits no color on the hair.

now this second 1, Im not sure , in fact, I doubt its 100% natural though it says ORGANIC ingredients... but I know it has conditioning effects... I used this for YEARS growing up because it was the only way my parents allowed me to color my hair

looking at the ingredient list, Im not too overly concerned with the ingredients.. and Ive found this at local BSS for like $5
Comes in cream & powder form, though Ive only used the powder
http://www.folica.com/Colora_Henna_Cr_d1215.html

Transparent luminous shade of pure organic hair color and conditioner with no peroxide or ammonia.

Colora Henna works wonders for your hair, particularly if it feels dull and lifeless. Natural Henna adds body and bounce and offers a choice of rich but subtle color changes. Colora brightens and highlights your hair, leaving it gleaming and elegant.

It adds moisture, body and shine to:

* Dry, brittle or permed hair
* Damaged or drab hair
* Lifeless or limp hair
* Tinted or bleached hair

Ingredients:

Water, Natural Henna Extract, Alcohol, Cocoamphopropionate, Polysorbate 20, Propylene Glycol, Hydroxyethylcellulose.

May also contain: Solvent Black 5, Disperse Blue 1, Basic Violet 14, Basic Yellow 15.

Ive also used this brand:

http://www.folica.com/Hennalucent_Hai_d1231.html

100% organic.
A professional henna product that penetrates the hair shaft through natural, organic absorption to deliver long-term shine, body and beauty color highlights.

Hennalucent is a unique formulation of micro-refined henna, hydrolyzed protein, pH neutralizers and rich, organic conditioners that revitalizes all types of hair. It repairs split ends, adds new strength and vitality. Even dry, damaged, chemically treated hair becomes healthier and more vibrant.

Hennalucent is a 100% organic translucent toner and conditioner. It will give you a shimmering graduation of tone within the existing color level of the hair. It is not meant to change to the extreme color level of the hair. Nor will it cover gray or lighten hair. Hennelucent is not a tint, dye or shade lifter and does not contain metallic salts, peroxides or harsh chemicals.

JustKiya

There is some MISinformation about non-BAQ Henna... I dont know much about LUSH brand henna just there are some commercial brands that are pre-mixed to the color of your choice that are just as safe as BAQ Henna... They dont contain any of the baddies and all of the good conditioning qualities of BAQ.... They are just as cost-effective as BAQ and have less hassles when it comes to mixing..........

:yep: Excellent point - but a lot of folks aren't into doublechecking before they just scoop up something and slap it in their hair.

BAQ henna is ALWAYS safe.

Non-BAQ henna MIGHT be safe - you have to do the due diligence to insure that it is, is all.

PassionFruit

:yep: Excellent point - but a lot of folks aren't into doublechecking before they just scoop up something and slap it in their hair.

BAQ henna is ALWAYS safe.

Non-BAQ henna MIGHT be safe - you have to do the due diligence to insure that it is, is all.

agreed... I just assume ( perhaps mistakenly) that all of our LHCF folks fit into the category of folks who look before they leap

FWIW, because some of the BAQ henna doesnt get inspected by USA government, some of those can also be dangerous...

Forever in Bloom

I am partial to Lush's henna...since I work there :look:. I like to use the Caca Noir henna to darken my hair since it is brown/black and I prefer it to be darker. It is already mixed with indigo and has a cocoa butter base which makes it easy to melt with hot water and apply.

I know the only thing about our henna that could be bad is if you perm your hair afterward or just recently got highlights (they say wait 6 weeks before using henna), it can diminish the effect (I believe they are referencing Caucasian hair), but no one yet knows what it can do on relaxed heads :ohwell:

We recommend you perm first, then henna. But I told my coworkers (one other is African American who has a relaxer, but wears extensions so I have never seen her hair) that it would be different on relaxed hair because some women actually get their touch ups every 6 weeks, so when would they find time to henna? I guess only those who stretch longer would be able to tell.

We both are natural, so none of this applies to us...:rolleyes: But this is the only negative I have heard thus far.

http://usa.lush.com/cgi-bin/lushdb/Hairpromo/makingOfhenna.html

naturalgurl

THANKS! This is what I wanted, some educated banter about henna. I just know that some people says it burns and mine didn't. Good to know there are other alternatives just in case this Catherine lady moves or goes out of business.