Real world vs LHCF

Sounique

I can't help but notice and I wonder if any of you ladies can relate...

When I'm out and about my hair "seems" long in comparison to other women that I encounter, "on average". Don't get me wrong, I do run into women with exceptionally long hair, but that's not the norm. Even people in my family comment and compliment me on my hair and it's much appreciated.

However, when I'm on here (lhcf), I feel almost bald headed:ohwell:. All these long, beautiful, thick, luscious heads of natural and relaxed hair, have me lusting for greater lengths.

I don't see as many black women in the real world with such beautiful hair. Although lhcf community is large, it's still just a small fraction of real world black women, unfortunately.

UniquelyDivine

ITA, my hair is only SL and I have gotten comments about how long it is and even before seeing the beautiful lengths around here I always felt like wow the bar is not set very high then if SL is considered long! I didn't even realize the lengths that BW hair was capable of until I got here, my goal is to be MBL but its a great feeling to know that my hair has no limitations.

dachsies_rule!

It's called hair anorexia and i also suffer from it :yep:. It's caused by looking at ladies with thick, beautiful, hip-length hair :lick:

Goombay_Summer

I'm MBL and IRL life there are many days when I feel like Rapunzel, people think that my hair is gorgeous and they want to know if it's real. However, I come on LHCF and I get a dose of reality because by this boards standards my hair is not even long in comparison to the WSL and beyond ladies funny how that works.

MsBoinglicious

Yes I feel that way all the time. Esp when my hair is bunned up in a PC for a long time and I don't get to see length.

I am sure that more than half the ladies on here feel that way now or have felt that way at some point in time in their HHJ!

Sounique

Yes I feel that way all the time. Esp when my hair is bunned up in a PC for a long time and I don't get to see length.

I am sure that more than half the ladies on here feel that way now or have felt that way at some point in time in their HHJ!

See, I'm getting sick just looking at your hair...absolutely beautiful!:grin:

Vashti

My hair is short but I get comments on occasion about its thickness from other people. I definitely feel bald headed coming here sometimes. :look:

KurlyNinja

My hair has always been around SL and nobody has ever called me bald headed. It seems, to them, I have a normal amount of hair that I should. Not anything exceptional but not bad either. Somebody actually said my hair was growing fast because it was EL last year and SL now. I was like "Uh... What?"

But when I get on here, I do feel bald headed. I feel like my hair is almost pathetic... :ohwell: Almost like I'm not worthy. Lol. When I told my friend I wanted to grow my hair to my waist. She looked and me like I was crazy and said "What could you possibly do with all that hair if it was that long?" She has SL hair. She says thats long enough for her.

bimtheduck

I feel the same way. when I get positive comment in the real world about my hair I think people are admiring the health, condition, and look of my hair even though they are commenting on the length. I know we all have seen someone with APL length hair that looked kinda raggedy . I dont those women are getting some of the positive comments the SL, APL, and BSL ladies on LHCF get.

Sounique

You know, before I joined LHFC, APL was very long to me and if you were any longer than that, then you must have been mixed or some powers of the air had bestowed a blessing upon you (I know, sad but true:nono:).

Then when I first found this site, I was like once I get to APL I will be happy, that's long enough for me.:rolleyes: Oh no, my thirst is far from quenched.
Now I'm telling myself that all I need is MBL....lol but we'll see...

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
That happens me too. I notice that my hair is longer than most of the black women around me, but I just never feel like it's long, period.
Even a few days ago, when I realized that I can finally feel my hair on my back, instead of being happy, I was like....yeah, but I still ain't got no hair.

That's LHCF's gift and curse. It'll give you long hair and then make you feel like it ain't ish. :nono:

I'm MBL and IRL life there are many days when I feel like Rapunzel, people think that my hair is gorgeous and they want to know if it's real. However, I come on LHCF and I get a dose of reality because by this boards standards my hair is not even long in comparison to the WSL and beyond ladies funny how that works.

It's called hair anorexia and i also suffer from it :yep:. It's caused by looking at ladies with thick, beautiful, hip-length hair :lick:

But it's ladies like ya'll who make folks feel bald-headed. :look: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
I feel that way most of the time. I keep my hair in a bun 99.9% of the time, when I wore it down a few days ago to work...people were fussing over the lenght of it asking me why I hide all that hair. To me it's long, but not long enough.

lovely_locks

HA! This is funny because all I want is shoulder length hair right now. I don't think SL is long, but its not short.

Sounique

I feel that way most of the time. I keep my hair in a bun 99.9% of the time, when I wore it down a few days ago to work...people were fussing over the lenght of it asking me why I hide all that hair. To me it's long, but not long enough.

Exactly! I thought that I would be wearing my hair down all the time at this length, but no I don't feel like it's long enough to be pulling it out just yet:look:.
My hair can't come out until she is all grown up...:lachen:

I spent over an hour last night flat ironing it and there actually was no point because as soon as I was finished, I wrapped it up and went to bed and this morning I immediately put it in a clip. Tomorrow morning, it's getting cowashed and going right back in a bun.:rolleyes:

MsLizziA

I feel the same exact way. I feel like shyt on this board as far as my hair is concerend. I am not even grazing some of the women in here. But in the outside world, nobody thinks that. I acturally get weave checked and i sit there like "WTF?" :perplexed

How you mistake this for tracks? But then i remember that i am the only person i know that lives on this forum so i know the possibilities. :look:

I actually talk to people in hair length lingo :ohwell:

Last edited:

MsLizziA

Exactly! I thought that I would be wearing my hair down all the time at this length, but no I don't feel like it's long enough to be pulling it out just yet:look:.
My hair can't come out until she is all grown up...:lachen:

I spent over an hour last night flat ironing it and there actually was no point because as soon as I was finished, I wrapped it up and went to bed and this morning I immediately put it in a clip. Tomorrow morning, it's getting cowashed and going right back in a bun.:rolleyes:
lol @ the fact that this is the same way i feel! I said i was going to show off my length this winter. and now im sayin winter 2011 cuz i don't think she "deserves" it yet...

lovelexi

I feel the same way. when I get positive comment in the real world about my hair I think people are admiring the health, condition, and look of my hair even though they are commenting on the length. I know we all have seen someone with APL length hair that looked kinda raggedy . I dont those women are getting some of the positive comments the SL, APL, and BSL ladies on LHCF get.

Yup. I agree. The real world is a scary place filled with women who have no edges, scraggly ends or just chronically dry hair. I never even noticed how bad it was until I joined LHCF. Back in 08 before I cut my hair people would compliment me on the color and health of my hair not necessarily the length. but what i realized that even though my hair was only a bit past SL back then i wasnt like the normal black girl. greasing my hair, combing it ten times a day. i just let my hair be. i only ate natural and organic foods and i was an athlete. my hair reflected my overall health. But now that Im on LHCF I think my hair is just the worse. I can't wait until i make it to APL with thick lush strands. im recovering from bad relaxer jobs and months of the weekly dominican blow out :perplexed

SummerSolstice

lhcf is not the norm on the clinic floor at hair school everyone passes me the long haired or natural clients. my cohorts are scared of it b/c its like it doesnt exist. and honestly i only get about 1 client past apl per week. most have a 2-3 inch margin of breakage around their hairline from relaxers. its crazy.

MsLizziA

Yup. I agree. The real world is a scary place filled with women who have no edges, scraggly ends or just chronically dry hair. I never even noticed how bad it was until I joined LHCF. Back in 08 before I cut my hair people would compliment me on the color and health of my hair not necessarily the length. but what i realized that even though my hair was only a bit past SL back then i wasnt like the normal black girl. greasing my hair, combing it ten times a day. i just let my hair be. i only ate natural and organic foods and i was an athlete. my hair reflected my overall health. But now that Im on LHCF I think my hair is just the worse. I can't wait until i make it to APL with thick lush strands. im recovering from bad relaxer jobs and months of the weekly dominican blow out :perplexed

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: YALL GOT ME ROLLING! MY BOSS IN HERE LOOKING AT ME LIKE IM CRAZY!

MsLizziA

lhcf is not the norm on the clinic floor at hair school everyone passes me the long haired or natural clients. my cohorts are scared of it b/c its like it doesnt exist. and honestly i only get about 1 client past apl per week. most have a 2-3 inch margin of breakage around their hairline from relaxers. its crazy.
your in cosmetology school??? I want to go sooooo bad but i need to get out of 1 degree first :( ... anyway, do you tell your classmates about LHCF?

Sugar

That happens me too. I notice that my hair is longer than most of the black women around me, but I just never feel like it's long, period.
Even a few days ago, when I realized that I can finally feel my hair on my back, instead of being happy, I was like....yeah, but I still ain't got no hair.

That's LHCF's gift and curse. It'll give you long hair and then make you feel like it ain't ish. :nono:

This is exactly how I feel. LMAO @ LHCF's gift and curse :lachen:

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
lhcf and other hairboards has not changed my view of what i 'long' is. i can see how one would feel as if their hair isn't long or feel inferior if you've actually started believing that only MBL and beyond is long. ♥

KinkyGenius

I'm sorry, but all you ladies who are BSL and longer chiming in and agreeing with OP make me sick...............

SICK you hear me!!

:laugh:
I'm not jealous at all

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
i understand what your saying about average "real world women, (outside of lhcf) not really having long hair to "our" standards. but as far as feeling bald headed on lhcf, no i dont feel bald compared to women on this board at all.

ive actually wrote this web address down for a few strangers, so that they could also learn how to have long hair. dang, i think i wrote the site down about 20-30 times since joining.

CurlyMoo

I recently finished detangling a severely matted head of hair. And it feeeeeeeeeeelz GREAT! I'll be good, I'll be good! I'm lucky to have any hair on my head at all. At times I was going to shave it all off and start over. All the while I was getting compliments at work about how beautiful and thick my hair is. They surrounded me with :lick: and all I could do was :lick: :perplexed. Because I'm not at the point where I think my hair is long enough. :spinning:

I'm surrounded by weave wearing divas and much of it looks horrible. I can't help but feel good about the efforts I put into my hair. I've been fortunate to see a few ladies taking care of their hair. But that's few and far between. I've been giving advice and they ask me questions.

I notice the disparity between this site and the streets. Almost feels like an exclusive club. I feel very fortunate to have found this place. The LHCF is a special place of ladies who actually want to take care of their hair inspite of the work and time that goes into it. The average person doesn't want to do that. They want easy and instant. You have to be patient. I think the more knowledge we put out there and the more we show how long and healthy our hair is; the more likely the average woman will WANT to learn how to care for her hair. HHG.