Real world vs LHCF

Sweetgirl08

I'm right there with ya'll. My family and friends are constantly checking for tracks and telling me how long my hair has gotten. pre-LHCF, I would have been like "I know!!!" but right now....I feel like my BSL hair is soooo short I probably won't be happy until its hip length and then who knows.....

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
i so badly want to run into Niko's cousin!!!!!!!!

why cant i just run into JUST ONE cousin of Niko! just one!! (cries)

Last edited:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
ITA! I feel like a baldy and it's almost discouraging at times but in the real world I have long hair and am complimented often. I'm in between APL and BSB.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
When I joined in January, my hair was a little past sl (see my profile pic). You could not tell me a THANG!! But since I've been here, I don't even want to wear my hair out until I'm at LEAST past mbl. And the closer I get, the further I push that back. MBL was my original goal. Then along came the HIP chicks. :rolleyes: It's my fault tho. Trying to hang out with the long-haired, luscious locks ladies, hoping some long-hair fairy dust will fall on me. :look: But instead, I feel like I'm at square one. IRL I'd have long hair. Uh...but not here, my friend. Not in the land of lovely locks. :nono:

Ah well. Wanting more keeps me reaching for more. All while my hair gets healthier and healthier. No one said there wasn't a price to pay to be fabulous. :grin: I just thought so. D'oh!!

Nasdaq_Diva

My protective style is in my natural hair in box braids. Anyway, my 14 yr old niece pulled one of my braids for a length check saying, "wow Auntie, you got that long hair don't care" Lol don't get me wrong I was amused but I can't believe in the real world my APL is considered long to my family.

Sounique

im thinking about passing cards out to blk women with this website on it, shooooot. lol.

I know right!
I really wish more black women knew about this site or just proper hair care in general. I would love to see the stereotype that black women's hair can't grow long, get broken.

Plus as a race, black women tend to have the mindset and need/desire to wear their hair in a particular "style", for them to feel "presentable", so protective styles are a no no. Once it begins to grow out of the "style", we have to keep cutting it to maintain our look and appearance. We really just don't know how to handle our hair or maintain it, while it grows.

Lhcf is made up of women who are seeking knowledge and those that are willing to share their wisdom on hair care. As the community grows, we know that we are reaching more and more black women and maybe, hopefully, we will slowly see a change in the way "we" as a race care for our hair.

AdoraAdora24 struck the nail right on the head. We need to share the knowledge, in a loving way as not to offend but to enlighten our sisters.

LovelyNaps26

I can't really say I feel bald headed since I have A LOT of hair. However, I don't feel that my hair is long. I've gotten a few 'your hair is getting so long" comments since starting my HHJ in November and yesterday my mom told me that my dad asked her if all of the hair on my head was mine. :rolleyes: I feel like my hair is definitely thick and pretty healthy. Now, give me 6 more inches and trust you won't be able to tell me anything IRL or LHCF. I don't think I could handle waistlength natural 4a/4b hair. MBL will do just fine, thank you very much :yep:

SEMO

It's called hair anorexia and i also suffer from it :yep:. It's caused by looking at ladies with thick, beautiful, hip-length hair :lick:

I'm at peace with my hair. But when I do occasionally feel some stirrings of discontent it's usually due to shrinkage. I don't mind having shrinkage like I did when I first started my natural journey, but it does make me feel that my hair is not long.

All I want is for my natural hair to hang at shoulder length when dry and in it's curly state. But to achieve that I have to have waist length or beyond hair (my hair was just starting to hang like I like it before my hair cut). Shrinkage makes me feel perpetually above SL.

When I joined in January, my hair was a little past sl (see my profile pic). You could not tell me a THANG!! But since I've been here, I don't even want to wear my hair out until I'm at LEAST past mbl. And the closer I get, the further I push that back. MBL was my original goal. Then along came the HIP chicks. :rolleyes: It's my fault tho. Trying to hang out with the long-haired, luscious locks ladies, hoping some long-hair fairy dust will fall on me. :look: But instead, I feel like I'm at square one. IRL I'd have long hair. Uh...but not here, my friend. Not in the land of lovely locks. :nono:

Ah well. Wanting more keeps me reaching for more. All while my hair gets healthier and healthier. No one said there wasn't a price to pay to be fabulous. :grin: I just thought so. D'oh!!

Girl, you hair is fabulous. Not only are you in the land of lovely locks, but you are giving tours to the tourists. ;) And your hair is a very nice length. Plus, over the years I've realized that long hair is not the end-all. I'll take thick and luscious over long any day. :yep: To be honest, I've seen some shoulder length ladies on here blowing some MBL+ ladies out of the water. :look:

CrissieD

I'm grazing BSL and I feel pretty bald on LHCF for sure. But IRL I feel pretty average. Most of my young (like under 30) female family members and friends have hair that is @ least APL. Most are around BSL. I have 2 cousins who are WL and I want to join thier club LOL. They are the only ones anyone in my family refers to as having LOOONG hair.

Sounique

I don't find it unfortunate.

I can appreciate your point of view...
However, I feel that it's very unfortunate every time I see black women and/or little girls with damaged hair

To me a person's hair doesn't have to be "long" to be beautiful.

I never insinuating that someone's hair HAS to be long to be healthy, beautiful or acceptable.

What I did say was...
I don't see MANY black women in the real world with hair as beautiful, OR as long, as the women on HERE.

I see women with beautiful hair in many different lengths and textures on a regular basis. I consider myself one of those women.

Sure I too see women on a regular basis with beautiful, short and medium length hair, but not long hair. (At least not regularly) :nono:

So what another woman has that I don't don't make me down myself, it just reveals another possibility. It's really important to love what you have with or without comparison.

When I said that I felt bald headed, it was meant to be taken lightly. To emphasize my desire for longer hair (A little humor if I may:grin:).

Of course I don't REALLY feel bald headed or inferior. :rolleyes: Don't get it twisted, I love ME and everything that the Good Lord has blessed me with. I still can admire, compliment or praise another woman without putting myself down. Someone else's shine doesn't overshadow mine. I think you are reading too much into what I said.

levette

I can't help but notice and I wonder if any of you ladies can relate...

When I'm out and about my hair "seems" long in comparison to other women that I encounter, "on average". Don't get me wrong, I do run into women with exceptionally long hair, but that's not the norm. Even people in my family comment and compliment me on my hair and it's much appreciated.

However, when I'm on here (lhcf), I feel almost bald headed:ohwell:. All these long, beautiful, thick, luscious heads of natural and relaxed hair, have me lusting for greater lengths.

I don't see as many black women in the real world with such beautiful hair. Although lhcf community is large, it's still just a small fraction of real world black women, unfortunately.

I totally agree. Many people think my hair is so long and ask me if I have a weave. Then I come here and feel that my hair is short. Regardless, I love this website and have learned so much from being here with you beautiful ladies. But I must admit, because women make such a big deal about my hair I just try to wear it mainly in braidouts or up so I won't seem conceited- is that crazy or what?

Growing My Glory

Excuse me!!! but you are all making me sick and damaging my "hair esteem". :naughty: :crying3: Guess I'll sit in a corner and d/c!

In spite of that, I'm gonna keep stalking yall cause I want to get where so many of you are. But today, you still make me sick!!!!!!!!!! lol :barf::barf::barf:
:computer:

UniquelyDivine

umm not to go off topic or anything but what in the heck are you doing to your hair to retain so much length? I've been a member on here since sept and haven't retained a dayumm thing!

Mz.MoMo5235

It's called hair anorexia and i also suffer from it :yep:. It's caused by looking at ladies with thick, beautiful, hip-length hair :lick:

this

as soon as you've met your "goal" there's a darn challenge out there for longer... and you always click on that darn link!!! and once you've clicked it, you've started the whole cycle over again lol

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Excuse me!!! but you are all making me sick and damaging my "hair esteem". :naughty: :crying3: Guess I'll sit in a corner and d/c!

In spite of that, I'm gonna keep stalking yall cause I want to get where so many of you are. But today, you still make me sick!!!!!!!!!! lol :barf::barf::barf:
:computer:

:grin:

dont worry when you get to WL, YOUR STILL GONNA FEEL LIKE :computer:

SO THERE!

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
umm not to go off topic or anything but what in the heck are you doing to your hair to retain so much length? I've been a member on here since sept and haven't retained a dayumm thing!

I've only been here since NOV and grew 3.5 inches, but then like a dummy, i cut it off.

YA GOTTA PROTECTIVE STYLE! :grin: its a sure way to success....

Black Hoya Chick

This is why I come LHCF, or I would stop trying to grow my hair and just be content thinking I am the sh*t with my BSL hair, which might as well be fairytale length to black females in the real world. Whenever I straighten, they will oggle my hair! This started happening when I was barely APL lol. LHCF gives me the reality check and I am like, "Pause...you still need some inches before you can get all brand new, girl," and then my journey and focus are back lol. But it is sad that once I reached like, shoulder, people started searching for tracks and called it LONG. If I was of the lighter-people-type, SL would be nothing. tsk tsk...

Sounique

This is why I come LHCF, or I would stop trying to grow my hair and just be content thinking I am the sh*t with my BSL hair, which might as well be fairytale length to black females in the real world. Whenever I straighten, they will oggle my hair! This started happening when I was barely APL lol. LHCF gives me the reality check and I am like, "Pause...you still need some inches before you can get all brand new, girl," and then my journey and focus are back lol. But it is sad that once I reached like, shoulder, people started searching for tracks and called it LONG. If I was of the lighter-people-type, SL would be nothing. tsk tsk...

I swear this is exactly how I feel...
Lhcf definitely keeps me grounded.
I have quite a way to go, before I can start throwing hair around!:lachen:

chasturner84

Yup...I, too, am a LHCF Baldie...I just accept it and try to carry on...lol

OMG Egypt I'm crying at the "LHCF Baldie" comment!! I just recently said that :lachen:

Sounique, I feel that way ALLLL the time when I'm on here. When I'm with my bf and his family or even my family (with the exception of one MBL cousin), they always comment on how nice and long my hair is and I'm always looking at them crazy. I wish they knew what long hair looked like.

LadyRaider

It's unbelievable, but where I am I have fairly long hair. If anyone has longer hair than mine, it has that straight/sheeny/thick look that let's me know it's weave.

I'm pure bald here. But I'm way above the curve for my area. I wonder if it's the combination of heat and hard water here?