Regrow Bald Spot

janaq2003

Almost 2 months ago, my daughter got some velcro stuck in her hair from a lunch box. In an attempt to free herself I think she may have pulled a plug of hair out near the crown. I didnt notice it until maybe a week or so after it happened. The spot is slick and shiny and taking forever to grow in. Im not sure if it couldve been caused by something else or not..this happened at school and onece I noticed the spot she tells me maybe it happened when the teacher pulled it out of her hair. My question is, how long will this take to fill in? What can I do to hasten the process? Should I take her to a derm? Sorry so many questions ladies.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
You can rub some castor oil in that spot or jbco. Keep her scalp clean and try not to do any tight hair styles.

I would still take her to a dermatologist to rule out any other scalp conditions. It doesn't seem like velcro would take her hair out from the root.

Ajna

I have had them - once it happened due to a product reaction and then it happened again due to stress in the same place.
The good news is in about three weeks you should see the fuzz once you see a few of them the rest will grow in really fast. It is kind of interesting because my hair grew to the length of the rest of my hair in like 6 or 7 months.
Initially I used Nioxin scalp treatment and the second time I used emo oil. Honestly I think the emu oil worked faster with better results but my diet also changed the second time so it is tough to say.

If you are going to use an oil make sure it is castor like prettymetty said or jojoba oil or even olive they just need to be fatty ones.

As for going to the doctor I would say follow your gut - moms tend to know best.

g.lo

Almost 2 months ago, my daughter got some velcro stuck in her hair from a lunch box. In an attempt to free herself I think she may have pulled a plug of hair out near the crown. I didnt notice it until maybe a week or so after it happened. The spot is slick and shiny and taking forever to grow in. Im not sure if it couldve been caused by something else or not..this happened at school and onece I noticed the spot she tells me maybe it happened when the teacher pulled it out of her hair. My question is, how long will this take to fill in? What can I do to hasten the process? Should I take her to a derm? Sorry so many questions ladies.

hi, is the patch completly shiny, does it have some broken hair at all? can you post a close up pic of the area? and when the hair grow back, is it falling again?

I've had a bald spot.

To regrow, massage massage massage daily (whatever oil you want). Absolutely NO tension around the bald spot. It will take a while, but you should see progress by the end of the year. If not, you need to see a dermatologist.

GGsKin

I had a few tension bald spots for over a year- two in particular were shiny and smooth. I didnt see change unil I started washing my hair more frequently (without shampoo). Baggying (regularly/ intensively 24hrs a day, with a plastic bag). Also I started regularly massaging for at least 4mins a day. Sometimes with JCBO, sometimes without. I saw positive signs (fine/ small hairs) within 2 months. And the spots went from smooth (no longer so shiny) in November to hairy (baby 4c coils/mini twa) in January.

janaq2003

I see some little pin prick black hair in the spot now. Just a few though. Ive been rubbing castor oil and tea tree in the spot since Ive noticed the spot. I just hate its there. I really appreciate all the input ladies!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I'm still really tryna' figure out why the Teacher was so rough with it?

Seems like she coulda/shoulda been a lot gentler with it and worked the Velcro away from the Strands.

Sounds like she pulled Follicles and everything out.

Anyway, JBCO would be my advice and tender loving care.

Try not to over massage. It could end up being too much manipulation for an already tender spot.
@janaq2003

janaq2003

I know right? Thats the only thing I can think of that wouldve caused it. I dont know.. just one spot and the rest of her hair is fine. I was trying to upload a pic to show you guys but Im having trouble

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@janaq2003 It took me a while to respond, because I kept thinking what idiot would jerk a piece of Velcro out of a child's hair? :kick:

I wouldn't even want to feel that as an Adult.:rolleyes:

She should have worked it a loose from the Strands or if she didn't have time to deal with it, sent her to the office or school nurse.

It sounds like she just snatched it off, like folks be tryna' do with bandages. Like: 'if I jerk it off, it will hurt less'.:nono: