Relaxed Hair vs. Natural Hair – The Great Debate

UniquelyDivine

I know there are quite a few threads with topic but this article really caught my eye and I figured someone on here would probably enjoy reading it as well!

From MadamNoire.com

There’s always been a little bit of a beef between au natural women and women with relaxers. Well, we’re here to settle the argument with a pros and cons list.

In this corner, we have focused fighter. She spends her time keeping her hair from moisture and frizz. Watch out for this pretty little thing, she keeps a comb in her back pocket.
Miss Au’ Natural
PROS:
- Healthier hair that’s not stripped away of natural oils

- Less breakage, if kept moisturized. Because natural hair is stronger it’s can handle chemicals from hair dye better than permed hair. You also have the option to style curly or flat iron for a straight look, although excessive heat should be avoided.

CONS:
- Major increase in daily maintenance. No longer are the days when you can brush your doobie wrap and go. Also, natural hair needs to be moisturized daily, co-washed at least twice a week and detangled as often as possible.

- Straight styles don’t last as long because humidity cases frizz. Also if you avoid hairspray, sleek styles may not stay in place.

- Sensitivity to styling products. You’ll find, if you’re in the process of going natural that you hair will take to certain products and hate others. Miss Jessie’s has an amazing range of products that work best for natural hair. But as any beautician will tell you, it’s all about training your hair to work in a new environment. By trial and error you’ll know eventually what works for your hair.

In this corner, we have a very feisty contender. She’s chock full or pride and not afraid of calcium hydroxide. Don’t mess with her, because she has millions of women behind her that use relaxers too.
Miss Straight is Great
PROS:
- Easier to manage daily. Relaxers literally “relax” the curl of your natural texture resulting in a straight, less prone to knots finish.

- Deals better with natural elements. When relaxed, your hair is permanently straightened– meaning nor wind, nor rain, nor shine can change what the chemical has done. Unlike natural hair straightened by heat, when water/moisture hits relaxed hair it dries back straight.

CONS:
- Hair damage from years of harsh chemical use. Y’all remember the scene from “Good Hair” when the scientist melts the aluminum can with that active ingredient in relaxers. The Hair Care Suite informs that “relaxers irreversibly alter the natural pH balance and chemical breakdown of your hair, thereby weakening each strand. Hair breakage and scalp irritation are very common side effects from improper application and/or maintenance.” Also the chemicals in your hair don’t mix well with other chemicals (i.e. the chlorine in pools) and can further damage your lovely locks.

- We lied. Both natural hair and relaxed hair require beaucoup attention. The difference with relaxed hair is that when it is conditioned/hydrated it needs to be intense. Natural hair needs a little bit of moisture constantly. Dana’s Loft has a great group of products that are loaded with moisture.

- Damage from chemical process to other parts of the body. Remember when you were younger and momma said, “Keep your eyes closed! You don’t want any of the cream getting in your eyes, making you blind.” Well it’s true; the chemicals do burn and are super toxic to any part of your epidermis, especially the scalp. Be careful when applying and never let anyone put a relaxer in your hair without greasing your entire head first.
Take from the fight what you will, but in the end, we see no real winner or loser. In any form of beautification the proper procedures need to be taken to make sure you’re healthy overall. Remember pain is not always gain, for beauty.

belldandy

lol. I enjoyed this one somewhat!
it was very cute and witty!:lachen:
honestly, the debate is old and tired. As a relaxed lady, I actually agree that natural is the best state for the hair to be in (the body in general). But what I keep reading are attempts to guilt others into putting their relaxers behind them. The goal should be to educate. If the sister is already educated, then let her be. I love my hair, natural or not.

belldandy

what harm is a little relaxer when there are crazed lunatics running the planet.

oops, said that outloud...

UniquelyDivine

I'm relaxed myself and there is a bit of a guilt factor that is put on relaxed ladies, however everyone makes their own choices and as long as it works for them then I say more power to ya! I didn't post this to start arguments just thought it was kinda funny and cute..

MonPetite

I do like that the bottom line is both require upkeep, both have pros and cons, and as is most everything else in life: do what's best for you, where you are as who you are at this particular point in time.

BlackMasterPiece

- Major increase in daily maintenance. No longer are the days when you can brush your doobie wrap and go. Also, natural hair needs to be moisturized daily, co-washed at least twice a week and detangled as often as possible.
:huh:Yea, I get the distinct feeling that the author has no earthly idea what they're talking about. Theres this mythology about natural hair being high maintenance and difficult to deal with when the reality is, if you're doing things right, it simply isnt. My daily hair routine ranges from nothing to a (literally) 2 minute routine. I do NOT have to moisturize daily, as a matter of fact I rarely have to moisturize thanks to my oily skin and coarse hair, I do not co-wash unless my hair is in pixie braids or mini twists and I can do that whenever the wind strikes me I don't "have to" do it twice a week and I only need to detangle on wash day.. this is one of the most mal-informed articles I've read in a good while:rofl:

- Straight styles don’t last as long because humidity cases frizz. Also if you avoid hairspray, sleek styles may not stay in place.
WRONG there are quite a few of us that live in the north where half the year is comprised of cold weather that will keep a perfect press untill your next wash....heck I even rock presses in the summertime that last beautifully.

- Sensitivity to styling products. You’ll find, if you’re in the process of going natural that you hair will take to certain products and hate others. Miss Jessie’s has an amazing range of products that work best for natural hair. But as any beautician will tell you, it’s all about training your hair to work in a new environment. By trial and error you’ll know eventually what works for your hair.
:eh: That goes for ALL hair regardless of state. WTH?!?! This article is sooooo bootleg:lachen:

loulou82

/\ Thank you BMP. I thought the article was cute but did she even ask someone who was natural to recommend some CONS or what their regimen consisted of.

Last edited:

loulou82

lol. I enjoyed this one somewhat!
it was very cute and witty!:lachen:
honestly, the debate is old and tired. As a relaxed lady, I actually agree that natural is the best state for the hair to be in (the body in general). But what I keep reading are attempts to guilt others into putting their relaxers behind them. The goal should be to educate. If the sister is already educated, then let her be. I love my hair, natural or not.

I'm relaxed myself and there is a bit of a guilt factor that is put on relaxed ladies, however everyone makes their own choices and as long as it works for them then I say more power to ya! I didn't post this to start arguments just thought it was kinda funny and cute..

This right here is interesting. I've never seen conversion attempts. Whoa! Are you referring to threads made here in which the OP is guilting relaxed ladies to stop relaxing? Are posts or PMs being made? What guilt factor are you referencing? I see many naturals threads that proclaim how happy they are in their decision or show off their progress but I haven't seen anyone bashing/shaming anyone's decision to relax. Actually I see the standard, "Do you" in response to "Should I relax" questions. More ladies IRL are relaxed. Estimates range from 70%-80% of AA women are relaxed and most of the women who are now natural have been relaxed before. So I'm very curious about this vocal but obvious minority that are guilting relaxed women to go natural on the board or IRL.

PearlyCurly

This right here is interesting. I've never seen conversion attempts. Whoa! Are you referring to threads made here in which the OP is guilting relaxed ladies to stop relaxing? Are posts or PMs being made? What guilt factor are you referencing? I see many naturals threads that proclaim how happy they are in their decision or show off their progress but I haven't seen anyone bashing/shaming anyone's decision to relax. Actually I see the standard, "Do you" in response to "Should I relax" questions. More ladies IRL are relaxed. Estimates range from 70%-80% of AA women are relaxed and most of the women who are now natural have been relaxed before. So I'm very curious about this vocal but obvious minority that are guilting relaxed women to go natural on the board or IRL.

I dont know where you have been but theres is plenty on here & off this website too. Most women might be relaxed, but more & more ladies who are on this board is becoming natural. I was natural maybe a week ago:lachen:(i texlaxed) for 17 months and i notice other naturals putting relaxed women down before then. It wasnt consistent & it wasnt very blunt, but its there.

I honestly think its both relaxed & natural ladies who do it, but to pretend like any one who is natural doesnt do it is just..funny! Funny, funny, funny:look:

Kneechay

/\ Thank you BMP. I thought the article was cute but did she even ask someone who was natural to recommend some CONS or what their regimen consisted of.

Right!?

ETA: I read this before the Miss Jessie's edit to your post, but I was like "Miss Jessie's?!?" and rolled my eyes, hard. Miss Jessie's company is targeting those who want curly hair, those with curly hair, those who want to get type 3 hair from their type 4, and those with silkeners. "Best for natural hair my ***"

but I digress.

This article was bootleg. It was cute, but stuff in it clearly lets me know strong research wasnt done for it. I couldnt care less about this debate amongst the two sides anymore anyway and I don't understand those who get involved in it a lot. Someone else's hair doesnt affect MINE.

The Guilt Effect
and Loulou, although I do somewhat agree with you that no one here has vocally gone on a mission to guilt people into going natural, there is a TONE on the board and in real life. More women are becoming natural, those transitioning or BCing explain they're now "free from the bondage of relaxers" etc. This board wants so much to promote Black natural beauty in all its glory that it sometimes overcompensates with a condescending tone towards the relaxed. A lot of times you even notice those who are natural have it in their siggies and sometimes you are shocked when you discover a poster is relaxed because they dont shout it from the rooftops like naturals.

Then there's the overbearing 'natural authority' tones on the board, the tone that wants to further divide even the natural crowd. Some assert flat ironing, coloring, weaving, braiding, drinking soda, etc reduces your level of 'naturalness'. Some have even gone as far as implying that the mindsets behind going natural if not conscious enough, makes you less natural :rolleyes: --even me, a natural, have felt the backlash.

yeah so no one has been doing any bullying, but the tone taken in this debate has made some people who are relaxed feel a little funny about their decision.

Last edited:

UniquelyDivine

I have never seen conversion attempts either not blatant ones anyway, I was simply agreeing with belldandy that I've felt that guilty vibe as well. I noticed that at the end of this article the author throws a little tid bit about how dangerous and unhealthy it is... bla bla booopsky.... The same stuff relaxed ladies have all heard before. I have never gotten that vibe on here, you are right every on here seems to be happy in their choices and very supportive of each other. I know this is a topic that's been beat down and this article seemed like a bit of a product plug too, still made for a interesting read IMO anyways...which is the only one that matters!! Lol j/k...kinda :grin: But really as I stated before not trying to create strife and gets folks panties in a bunch, I found it interesting even if the author seems to be a tad bit misinformed.

Last edited:

Kash

i thought the "Great Debate" was about why 73% of black women feel the need to put a relaxer in their hair in the first place.

Muse

I know there are quite a few threads with topic but this article really caught my eye and I figured someone on here would probably enjoy reading it as well!

From MadamNoire.com

There’s always been a little bit of a beef between au natural women and women with relaxers. Well, we’re here to settle the argument with a pros and cons list.

Beef between relaxed and natural? Geez it's just a styling choice. Why would something that petty drive a wedge between sistas?

naturalgyrl5199

:huh:Yea, I get the distinct feeling that the author has no earthly idea what they're talking about. Theres this mythology about natural hair being high maintenance and difficult to deal with when the reality is, if you're doing things right, it simply isnt. My daily hair routine ranges from nothing to a (literally) 2 minute routine. I do NOT have to moisturize daily, as a matter of fact I rarely have to moisturize thanks to my oily skin and coarse hair, I do not co-wash unless my hair is in pixie braids or mini twists and I can do that whenever the wind strikes me I don't "have to" do it twice a week and I only need to detangle on wash day.. this is one of the most mal-informed articles I've read in a good while:rofl:

WRONG there are quite a few of us that live in the north where half the year is comprised of cold weather that will keep a perfect press untill your next wash....heck I even rock presses in the summertime that last beautifully.

:eh: That goes for ALL hair regardless of state. WTH?!?! This article is sooooo bootleg:lachen:

Thanks for calling that out....I thought I was the only one who caught that....Being natural has not been as high maintenance as I thought it was....I am a lazy person with 2 (sometimes 3) jobs and um....So um....my hair is like towards the bottom of the totem pole of importance. I guess for me, and other women (relaxed or natural) on a healthy hair journey I accepted the changes, ups and downs of this journey, and I accepted and started practicing my Healthy habits very early on in my journey and I have little stress when it comes to my hair.....But like I said before...Its about HEALTHY hair....Thats what GOOD hair is to me.

loulou82

I dont know where you have been but theres is plenty on here & off this website too. Most women might be relaxed, but more & more ladies who are on this board is becoming natural. I was natural maybe a week ago:lachen:(i texlaxed) for 17 months and i notice other naturals putting relaxed women down before then. It wasnt consistent & it wasnt very blunt, but its there.

I honestly think its both relaxed & natural ladies who do it, but to pretend like any one who is natural doesnt do it is just..funny! Funny, funny, funny:look:

The Guilt Effect
and Loulou, although I do somewhat agree with you that no one here has vocally gone on a mission to guilt people into going natural, there is a TONE on the board and in real life. More women are being relaxed, those transitioning or BCing explain they're now "free from the bondage of relaxers" etc. This board wants so much to promote Black natural beauty in all its glory that it sometimes overcompensates with a condescending tone towards the relaxed. A lot of times you even notice those who are natural have it in their siggies and sometimes you are shocked when you discover a poster is relaxed because they dont shout it from the rooftops like naturals.

Then there's the overbearing 'natural authority' tones on the board, the tone that wants to further divide even the natural crowd. Some assert flat ironing, coloring, weaving, braiding, drinking soda, etc reduces your level of 'naturalness'. Some have even gone as far as implying that the mindsets behind going natural if not conscious enough, makes you less natural :rolleyes: --even me, a natural, have felt the backlash.

yeah so no one has been doing any bullying, but the tone taken in this debate has made some people who are relaxed feel a little funny about their decision.

What's wrong with making a "conversation" attempt? Considering folks have conversations on here everyday, anywhoo that was not the case, I was simply agreeing with belldandy that I've felt that guilty vibe as well. I noticed that at the end of this article the author throws a little tid bit about how dangerous and unhealthy it is... bla bla booopsky.... The same stuff relaxed ladies have all heard before. I have never gotten that vibe on here, you are right every on here seems to be happy in their choices and very supportive of each other. I know this is a topic that's been beat down and this article seemed like a bit of a product plug too, still made for a interesting read IMO anyways...which is the only one that matters!! Lol j/k...kinda :grin: But really as I stated before not trying to create strife and gets folks panties in a bunch, I found it interesting even if the author seems to be a tad bit misinformed.

Nichi, we shouldn't even be participating in these threads with our "interesting" selves. Let's remove the weaves first so our allegiances are known.

As for recruiting, converting, guilting, I realize some naturals will be zealous in their choice, shout it from the rooftops, and testify how they've reached the promised land. This can come off arrogant to some but shouldn't affect anyone comfortable with their own hair. But it's only a few out of the many. I think a bit of civility is being lost in the conversation on both ends and it's usually the same voices being heard. No ones preference should be an affront to you. Most ladies aren't relaxing to hurt your feelings and most naturals aren't BCing to hand out pamphlets and transitioning kits on the corner to up our numbers. I may miss some of the undercurrent of hostility because most of the time when a member asks for advice they get support and not lectures. It's usually the "What's your opinion", "What do you consider", "Why did you" threads that will get the free for all responses. And then again it's a few ladies that go hard in either direction.

UniquelyDivine

i thought the "Great Debate" was about why 73% of black women feel the need to put a relaxer in their hair in the first place.

I really think for the majority of BW it is a matter of just truly not knowing your options and feeling the need to fit in with straight hair, I was totally natural 2 years ago but it wasn't really by informed decision, it came about from laziness. I never questioned why I had a relaxer in the first place, it was almost kind of to be expected, once you get to a certain age you get a relaxer slapped in your head. I know now that it was simply a matter of convenience for my mother because my hair was thick as heck and flowing down my back not to mention I was incredibly tender headed so you can imagine the battles that went down when it was time for her to comb my hair out before it was relaxed.

belldandy

I do not know what you want me to do...give up names?
this board has a lot of tension on it. It's not that serious because this is the internet, but the tension exists here. On other boards, not so much. I have read things where people feel the need to express their disapproval of people who change their texture. Constantly. Whether it be by using gel to manipulate curls or by using chemicals to change the curl pattern. I don't usually see many anti-weave or anti-dye threads. recently read a comment in which a user said more ladies weaves should be kinky texture. didn't even go back to see how many thanked the comment and I wasn't 100 percent sure what was meant by the comment...but as a texlaxed head I just felt like it means that even weaves need to not look "relaxed". (this is just one example that popped into my head and I'm sure that person is not in the majority, if that's what she meant). I don't really know what else to say on the matter...

eta: she didn't say that exactly so sorry if I misinterpreted her post.

Last edited:

JuiceMobsta

Yeah I agree, I was wondering about that cowash thing, thats definitely on a personal preference basis only.:yep:

But you said you rarely have to moisturize due to your oily skin and coarse hair?:scratchch Oil doesnt moisturize...sooo...neither does coarseness...lol.:look:

Gigi-07

It is only black people I hear judging one another CONSTANTLY for the decisions SOMEONE ELSE makes about their bodies, and it extends beyond hair; we like to critique our fellow sisters who choose to bleach, surgically modify their faces and bodies, or lose a certain amount of weight due to preference. Asian, white women I know quietly go out and get their nose,boob,eyelid,chin, blonde dye jobs done and they are either complimented or those who don't like it keep it to themselves. no accusations of self-esteem issues and this and that involved. WE, however, have to be vocal and treat everything that could be "against our blackness" as taboo or wrong.
Why can't we just live and let live, let those who do what they do, for whatever reason, be it self-hate or whatnot, just do whatever they want!
We already get enough flack from everybody else for everything we do. sheesh. We really can be our own worst critics.
This debate should have never started to begin with.