Relaxed 4b ladies, what relaxer do you use?

Ladylynn

I'm at my wits end with my underprocessed hair. I have been using Revlon regular lye for almost a year and a half now. I have about 4 inches or more of under processed hair. I'm looking for an inexpensive lye relaxer that will tame my 4b coarse, resistant hair. I don't want to try Revlon in the super strength because the regular is so... strong. Every time I relax with it I always end up with so much hair in the sink. In my no lye relaxer days, I would use Dark and Lovely regular and that would get my hair straight, but it would also make my hair dry. I'm looking for a lye relaxer that will straighten like my old Dark and Lovely. 4b's help me out. What are you all using that relaxes bone straight. I'm also not trying to break the bank- Affirm will be my last resort and that'll cost me a grip.

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
I am in the same boat as you. I use Revlon with Lye. I use the regular strength. I am 7 weeks post relaxer and am trying to stretch until the end of March. I feel like it is thinning my hair. I still have thick hair, but I still would like to try a new lye relaxer. Good luck!

Ladylynn

PrettyHaitian said:
I am in the same boat as you. I use Revlon with Lye. I use the regular strength. I am 7 weeks post relaxer and am trying to stretch until the end of March. I feel like it is thinning my hair. I still have thick hair, but I still would like to try a new lye relaxer. Good luck!

I'm the complete opposite. My hair seems like it was never relaxed to begin with. My roots are so... puffy, and I don't use heat on my relaxed hair, but I have to flat iron it to make it look like it should look if it had relaxed fully.

gradygirl

I too am fed up with underprocessed hair. I tried using a mild lye based perm and it did not do anything for my hair. I bought silk elements with shea butter for course hair (my hair is very resistant)to do my next one. I know it's stronger so I will not leave it on as long but the one's for course hair usually works pretty fast. I wanted to use something that is a little more gentle but if I don't get the results I'm looking for what is the point. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Last edited:

NewYorkgyrl

I consider myself 4a/b.

I tried Affrim for the fiorst time back in November and it has officially left my hair in the worst condition that it has ever been(and it was lye). No matter what I do to it. I am also looking for a good relaxer.

NewYorkgyrl

Undefeated Queen said:
I think I am a 4a/b. :confused: I use Motions Herbal Relaxer.

i use to use this relaxer and I was not having the major problems that i am having now with Affrim. I am thinking of switching back but I found that it was also thinning so I don't know.

jasmin

I used Elasta no lye, Phyto, Vitale Life and Body and Motions Herbal. All underprocessed except Motions Herbal but Motions Herbal reverted after one week. The rest reverted the 3rd week.

Now I'm using Silk Elements....no underprocessed hair anymore. I'm also on my 3rd week and no change.

LaNecia

Undefeated Queen said:
I think I am a 4a/b. :confused: I use Motions Herbal Relaxer.

Same here but I'm thinking seriously of switching to Design Essentials Relaxer cause Lala's hair is beautiful and that's what she uses. When in Rome....

baglady215

It has been said that lye does not straighten as well as no-lye. I found this to be true for my thick 4a/b hair. I was ALWAYS underprocessed, and I thought it was the relaxer but it really was the lye vs. no-lye. I'm currently using Optimum Multi-Mineral, which is a combo of lye and no lye, and I'm happy so far. :)

leleepop

Ladylynn said:
I'm at my wits end with my underprocessed hair. I have been using Revlon regular lye for almost a year and a half now. I have about 4 inches or more of under processed hair. I'm looking for an inexpensive lye relaxer that will tame my 4b coarse, resistant hair. I don't want to try Revlon in the super strength because the regular is so... strong. Every time I relax with it I always end up with so much hair in the sink. In my no lye relaxer days, I would use Dark and Lovely regular and that would get my hair straight, but it would also make my hair dry. I'm looking for a lye relaxer that will straighten like my old Dark and Lovely. 4b's help me out. What are you all using that relaxes bone straight. I'm also not trying to break the bank- Affirm will be my last resort and that'll cost me a grip.
I use Design Essentials lo lye and it doesnt straighten bone straight now that I stretch. I heard alot of the other woman who stretch with the same problem. I dont think this is necessarily a negative thing. You hair looks great to me.Is it hard to manage? How long do you stretch? You might have to use a good base and relaxer protect and work it through really well and leave it on about 5 minutes longer.

Last edited:

zoj2

Ladylynn said:

Have you tried the new moisturizing formula of the Dark and Lovely relaxer? I tried Revlon Lye Regular last year and i did nothing to my hair. I cannot use lye, it burns and doesn't get my hair straight. Dark and Lovely gets it straight and it feel super moisturized. Might try Affirm No-lye (sensitive scalp formula), but it still didn't get my hair as straight as D and L, but for my next relaxer I am using phyto.

simone103

I have 4b hair, and use Vitale Life & Body. It's gets my hair pretty straight. If that doesn't work, they have a Vitale Concord formula for resistant hair.

lala

I use Design Essentials lo lye and it doesnt straighten bone straight now that I stretch. I heard alot of the other woman who stretch with the same problem. I dont think this is necessarily a negative thing. You hair looks great to me.Is it hard to manage? How long do you stretch? You might have to use a good base and relaxer protect and work it through really well and leave it on about 5 minutes longer.

My hairdresser uses DE regular for my hair and it gets bone straight even if I stretch (usually 10-13 wks.), but the results will vary for each individual, no matter the hair type or how long you stretch. It would be nice if we could use those factors to gauge how we each can manage our hair. I've used many types of relaxers from Mizani-Phyto-Affirm before I found what works for me. For my hair, no lye relaxers don't keep my hair straightened beyond 6 wks. and my hair starts puffing up and is not as manageable. Do you self relax? Good luck and I hope you find a relaxer that works for your hair.

Undefeated Queen

NewYorkgyrl said:
i use to use this relaxer and I was not having the major problems that i am having now with Affrim. I am thinking of switching back but I found that it was also thinning so I don't know.

Hi NYgyrl,

The Motions Herbal relaxer was thinning your hair? I been using for over a year and my hair has actually gotten even thicker. Did you use regular or super?

NewYorkgyrl

Undefeated Queen said:
Hi NYgyrl,

The Motions Herbal relaxer was thinning your hair? I been using for over a year and my hair has actually gotten even thicker. Did you use regular or super?

I used Mild. I used this relaxer for a little over a year.

Ladylynn

Thanks! I was thinking about leaving it on longer, but it started to burn. I was also thinking about moving up to super but am a little hesistant. I have never had to use super with a no lye, but with lye, I think I will have to. I might also have to try working in three sections instead of two if I go to super because I hear it takes pretty quickly. I normally stretch to 13 weeks, so I relax 4 times a year. I don't use direct heat on my relaxed hair so when I roller set, I sit under the dryer (Pibbs) on like 30 degrees which is cool-low temperature. I need my roots to come out straight so I don't have to flat iron them. With D&L, I normally don't have to start flat ironing until around week 5 or 6, but because I'm underprocessed, my roots up to about 4 inches comes out crinkly.

LaLa- I do self relax. I have never been to a hair dresser in my life- personal phobia

Last edited:

Ladylynn

simone103 said:
I have 4b hair, and use Vitale Life & Body. It's gets my hair pretty straight. If that doesn't work, they have a Vitale Concord formula for resistant hair.

I was thinking about getting this. I'm going to do a search. It doesn't seem like too many ladies use this brand though.

Ladylynn

zoj2 said:
Have you tried the new moisturizing formula of the Dark and Lovely relaxer? I tried Revlon Lye Regular last year and i did nothing to my hair. I cannot use lye, it burns and doesn't get my hair straight. Dark and Lovely gets it straight and it feel super moisturized. Might try Affirm No-lye (sensitive scalp formula), but it still didn't get my hair as straight as D and L, but for my next relaxer I am using phyto.

You know I just picked this up at Wal-Mart today. I still have my receipt just in case I change my mind. I don't know, I'm so confused. :perplexed

I would just hate to spend money on a more expensive lye relaxer and it doesn't work. It's not like I can take it back.

Sosoothing

I use revlon regular lye, the one that comes in a white jar. I usually have to leave it on a little longer than the stipulated time to get good results. I make sure I base my scalp properly before. Im not having any problems so far.

secretdiamond

I use revlon and the last time I left it on ESPECIALLY long and I am STILL underprocessed. I feel like my hair is gonna suffer from all the matting that results. I HATE IT. But this problem only started happening when I started MTG. B4 using MTG, only affirm left my hair REALLY underprocessed. My hair hates me for ever using it.... especially the mild formula. :crazy: But now I came back to revlon to make sure I was straight and my hair still laughed at it. I dunno.... I tried the vitale L&B and I still have sprials left from that, I may just try the concorde version. :ohwell:

SisterGirl*

Ladylynn said:

Well my suggestion was about to be Design Essentials. I like it. However, My hair is not Bone Straight, but its not underprocessed either. I experienced underprocessed hair with "Optimum" and "Designers Touch." When I first started using DE, not to many people used it, so I was a little nervous. (Usually I do my research on the board before I make any major hair decisions). But, I went ahead and checked out the DE website and I liked how their products were said to pamper "each strand". I took me a long time(and a few tears) to find out which relaxer works for my hair and I finally found it, along with a caring beautician who listens. My hair is 4a/4b and I use regular. Oh yeah, and I'm not sure if its my southern location or what, but I only pay $40.00 for my touch-ups..

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I just touched up with Mizani Normal strength this past week. I am offically in :love:. This is the best touch up I've had in a minute. I will not switch back. I was tempted to use the Mild formula but I'm glad that I didn't. I had to go out and buy Mizani and bring it to the salon with me because it is not a relaxer they keep in stock. It was so worth it.

jasmin

Ladylynn said:
I was thinking about getting this. I'm going to do a search. It doesn't seem like too many ladies use this brand though.

I used it and it was too gentle...the result is underprocessed hair for me.

Ladylynn

jasmin said:
I used it and it was too gentle...the result is underprocessed hair for me.

Jasmin, are you a 4b? For some reason it seems as with 4b, no lye relaxes better. I wonder why that is.

Faith

simplycee said:
I just touched up with Mizani Normal strength this past week. I am offically in :love:. This is the best touch up I've had in a minute. I will not switch back. I was tempted to use the Mild formula but I'm glad that I didn't. I had to go out and buy Mizani and bring it to the salon with me because it is not a relaxer they keep in stock. It was so worth it.
Did you use the Moisturfuse before neutralizing like they suggest?

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Faith said:
Did you use the Moisturfuse before neutralizing like they suggest?

I wanted to. I even suggested she use this first but she insisted since my scalp is sensitive that she use the neutralizing poo first then the Moisturefuse. My stylist is skeptical about using a conditioner before using a neutralizing poo anyway so I wasn't surprise that she didn't want to do it. She used the Moisturfuse w/o heat for 10 mins, rinsed and then used a ORS Replenishing Pak for 10 mins with heat.

The touch up turned out so well I can't really complain.

devin

i want to go back to using Mizani again. do you suggest i use the moisturfuse and mizani's neutralizer or does it matter? b/c i was going to use cream of nature neutralizer and atone botanicals reconstructor. also did you use protein the week before your relaxer and do you use protein the week after also for strength? thanks!:)

simplycee said:
I wanted to. I even suggested she use this first but she insisted since my scalp is sensitive that she use the neutralizing poo first then the Moisturefuse. My stylist is skeptical about using a conditioner before using a neutralizing poo anyway so I wasn't surprise that she didn't want to do it. She used the Moisturfuse w/o heat for 10 mins, rinsed and then used a ORS Replenishing Pak for 10 mins with heat.

The touch up turned out so well I can't really complain.