Relaxed 4b ladies, what relaxer do you use?

Sosoothing

In past I tried dark and lovely and my hair wasnt even under processed it looked just like it had before applying the relaxer. I tried soft n beautiful it did a better job but still wasnt as straight as I can get it with revlon.

Ladylynn

Lkaysgirl said:
In past I tried dark and lovely and my hair wasnt even under processed it looked just like it had before applying the relaxer. I tried soft n beautiful it did a better job but still wasnt as straight as I can get it with revlon.

What type of hair do you have?

gradygirl

Are relaxers in super strength or the one's that are for course hair more damaging? I brought Silk Elements for course hair but now I'm a little scared to use it. The plan was I was going to use it on the parts that was underprocessed for a shorter period of time or should I go with a regular strength. I used a mild one the first time and the roots got straight but the rest looked like a texturizer.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
devin said:
i want to go back to using Mizani again. do you suggest i use the moisturfuse and mizani's neutralizer or does it matter? b/c i was going to use cream of nature neutralizer and atone botanicals reconstructor. also did you use protein the week before your relaxer and do you use protein the week after also for strength? thanks!:)

I used Mizani's neutralizing shampoo and then the Moisturfuse right after. I did a stinky aphogee treatment the week before. I usually do Emergencee but I was out. I will use Emergencee on sat for my week after relaxer treament and maybe follow up with Moisturfuse for moisture.

devin

okay thanks a lot!:D

simplycee said:
I used Mizani's neutralizing shampoo and then the Moisturfuse right after. I did a stinky aphogee treatment the week before. I usually do Emergencee but I was out. I will use Emergencee on sat for my week after relaxer treament and maybe follow up with Moisturfuse for moisture.

AnjelLuvs

I just started experiencing this underprocessing issue... I thought it was because I had the Affirm mild lye perm for over a year... sitting my room, which tempertures can vary... I was thinking about buying another one for my next touch up even though I have some still left... Although, I have been considering Mizani because I hear so much great things about it... I am glad this post came up...

JazzyFLPeach

Hands down... Phyto Index II

The only other one I'd use if I couldn't get to a Phyto II would be Mizani. I get consistent, amazing results with both of these products.

Mizani_Mrs

Sounds like you need to step over into the big leagues and leave the wimpy drug-store relaxers alone. :lol: No seriously, i am guessing that they aren't good for your hairtype. Id suggest trying a salon brandname and see how that works. I think all salon brands are good quality. Me of course, I would suggest Mizani regular lye...it hasn't failed me yet...It takes a total of 12mins and your hair will be bone straight. It is very good and keeps my hair looking healthy. try it!

Chromia

I use Mizani for Fine/Color Treated Hair (even though my hair's not fine or color treated) and my hair has never been underprocessed.

I use Dudly's sensitive scalp. I find that by using the sensitive formula, I dont overprocess my hair. I am always happy with the results!

I use Dudly's sensitive scalp. I find that by using the sensitive formula, I dont overprocess my hair. I am always happy with the results.

KhandiB

No Lye I would recomment Profectiv Super
Right now I have a Elucence Relaxer Im waiting to try :eyebrows2

cocoberry10

Ladylynn said:
I'm at my wits end with my underprocessed hair. I have been using Revlon regular lye for almost a year and a half now. I have about 4 inches or more of under processed hair. I'm looking for an inexpensive lye relaxer that will tame my 4b coarse, resistant hair. I don't want to try Revlon in the super strength because the regular is so... strong. Every time I relax with it I always end up with so much hair in the sink. In my no lye relaxer days, I would use Dark and Lovely regular and that would get my hair straight, but it would also make my hair dry. I'm looking for a lye relaxer that will straighten like my old Dark and Lovely. 4b's help me out. What are you all using that relaxes bone straight. I'm also not trying to break the bank- Affirm will be my last resort and that'll cost me a grip.

PrettyHaitian said:
I am in the same boat as you. I use Revlon with Lye. I use the regular strength. I am 7 weeks post relaxer and am trying to stretch until the end of March. I feel like it is thinning my hair. I still have thick hair, but I still would like to try a new lye relaxer. Good luck!

I am in a similar situation as you Ladylynn and PrettyHaitian. I don't use Revlon with Lye, but my hair is underprocessed, and it feels thinner now.

I was alternating between using Affirm mild with lye and regular, so as not to over or underprocess my hair. My hair was in good shape in terms of how "processed" it was. However, something about affirm didn't do well with my hair. Basically, my hair didn't feel as soft as it normally did with other relaxers. So after waiting 22 weeks, I got braids. I had the braids in for 10 weeks and waited 1 week to relax. So after 34 weeks post-relaxer, I tried Phytorelaxer. It didn't take as well as it should have (it almost didn't take at all). I figured, no biggie, it's been 34 weeks, so my hair "forgot" about relaxers.

I waited another 8 weeks and then attempted to do a corrective relaxer (my hairdresser, I don't do self-relaxing). Anyway, we put it on, watched it, sat there, and watched it do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!

I am at my wits end, and the only thing I can do is keep my hair in buns. I don't want to put heat on it, because it will damage my hair, but I'm frustrated. My hair is armpit in the back and below shoulder in the front, but since there's so much shrinkage, I only see that when it's wet now!!!

cocoberry10

sylver2 said:
Optimum no lye gets my hair bone straight. I do leave it on a little longer though

Sylver2, your hair always looks fabulous. You are one of my hair inspirations! Do you find that by getting it bone straight, it's easier to work with? Any other 4a/b's please chime in. I'm trying to decide if I should be trying to get my hair bone straight or not as a 4a/mostly 4b. Thanks.

Ladylynn

cocoberry10 said:
Sylver2, your hair always looks fabulous. You are one of my hair inspirations! Do you find that by getting it bone straight, it's easier to work with? Any other 4a/b's please chime in. I'm trying to decide if I should be trying to get my hair bone straight or not as a 4a/mostly 4b. Thanks.

I think if you don't use much heat on your hair, and actually want to wear your hair in straight styles, getting it straight does make styling easier because you don't have to apply heat to it until your roots really start growing out. With me, I don't flat iron my roots until around week 8 or 9. when I do my roller sets, I don't have to do anything else to it once I take my rollers out, but since my hair has been underprocessed, I have to touch up the roots because it doesn't dry straight at all.

So I guess it's just a matter of how you wear your hair daily.

Ladylynn

cocoberry10 said:
I am in a similar situation as you Ladylynn and PrettyHaitian. I don't use Revlon with Lye, but my hair is underprocessed, and it feels thinner now.

I was alternating between using Affirm mild with lye and regular, so as not to over or underprocess my hair. My hair was in good shape in terms of how "processed" it was. However, something about affirm didn't do well with my hair. Basically, my hair didn't feel as soft as it normally did with other relaxers. So after waiting 22 weeks, I got braids. I had the braids in for 10 weeks and waited 1 week to relax. So after 34 weeks post-relaxer, I tried Phytorelaxer. It didn't take as well as it should have (it almost didn't take at all). I figured, no biggie, it's been 34 weeks, so my hair "forgot" about relaxers.

I waited another 8 weeks and then attempted to do a corrective relaxer (my hairdresser, I don't do self-relaxing). Anyway, we put it on, watched it, sat there, and watched it do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!

I am at my wits end, and the only thing I can do is keep my hair in buns. I don't want to put heat on it, because it will damage my hair, but I'm frustrated. My hair is armpit in the back and below shoulder in the front, but since there's so much shrinkage, I only see that when it's wet now!!!

Sorry to here about your dilemma. I have decided that I'm going back to no lye. I know that I will have to do 10 times better with the maintenance of my hair, but to me... I believe that styling will come easier. Also, seeing so many inspiring no lye healthy heads here lets me know that I can do it too.

sylver2

cocoberry10 said:

Thanks cocoberry:)
For me..my styles seem to last much longer when I get it bone straight, also I like my hair to be flat, smooth and bone straight the majority of the time. A lot of people don't care for the flat thin look, but it looks just right on me since my hair is thick and yup much easier to manage.
Although lately I have been lazy and been wearing braidouts for the past couple of months.

LiLi

Just putting my .10 cents in. Please ladies, check the dates/date codes on your relaxers. If you are purchasing them from bss that don't require a license then I would check those date codes even more! That could be why the relaxers are not producing desirable results.

Also, I preach about this all the time, but you have to make sure that you don't have a lot of product/mineral buildup when you relax. Relaxers are chemicals but there are things that can block them from performing optimally. Three - Four days before relaxing use a chelating shampoo and deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner; then only use light moisturizing products for daily conditioning - like a light serum.

In addition, I feel that it is extremely important to use the steps the way in which the company directs you to use them; i.e. relaxer, rinse for specified amount of time, conditioning neutralizer, neutralizer, ...you get the point.

I can't stress enough how important freshness of the product is in relation to the results of your relaxer. When you buy a tub of relaxer, put it in a cool place (like in a closet) when it's not in use. Affirm relaxers have a code on them and the first number is the year that it was manufactured. If it has a 3 or lower for the first number ...DO NOT USE IT!! Their shelf life is only 3 years (I just recently found this out :ohwell: ).

OH ... and please please please, if you have a lot of new growth and you are a self-relaxer, do it in sections. A lot of the underprocessing is due to time constraints.

Lastly, make sure you are putting a decent amount of the product on the hair strands; go through it after applying and smooth, smooth, smooth; put more on if you need to -- the hair should be completely covered with the product. When I was using no-lye relaxers I had to use 2 boxes of the relaxer; once I skimped and only used 1 box, that is when I got underprocessed hair. It's better to have too much, than not enough.

I say all of this from years of experience. I have experienced it all and am currently dealing with a lot of underprocessed hair due to all of these reasons. I did one section of my hair the "right" way (as well as corrected the frizzy sections) and have been monitoring it for almost a year and it is healthy, full of moisture and growing.

IMHO it's much better to do a small section of your hair (strand test doing all of the steps) to see what your results will be, before doing your whole head and not being happy with the results. :)

Sosoothing

LiLi said:
Just putting my .10 cents in. Please ladies, check the dates/date codes on your relaxers. If you are purchasing them from bss that don't require a license then I would check those date codes even more! That could be why the relaxers are not producing desirable results.

Also, I preach about this all the time, but you have to make sure that you don't have a lot of product/mineral buildup when you relax. Relaxers are chemicals but there are things that can block them from performing optimally. Three - Four days before relaxing use a chelating shampoo and deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner; then only use light moisturizing products for daily conditioning - like a light serum.

In addition, I feel that it is extremely important to use the steps the way in which the company directs you to use them; i.e. relaxer, rinse for specified amount of time, conditioning neutralizer, neutralizer, ...you get the point.

I can't stress enough how important freshness of the product is in relation to the results of your relaxer. When you buy a tub of relaxer, put it in a cool place (like in a closet) when it's not in use. Affirm relaxers have a code on them and the first number is the year that it was manufactured. If it has a 3 or lower for the first number ...DO NOT USE IT!! Their shelf life is only 3 years (I just recently found this out :ohwell: ).

OH ... and please please please, if you have a lot of new growth and you are a self-relaxer, do it in sections. A lot of the underprocessing is due to time constraints.

Lastly, make sure you are putting a decent amount of the product on the hair strands; go through it after applying and smooth, smooth, smooth; put more on if you need to -- the hair should be completely covered with the product. When I was using no-lye relaxers I had to use 2 boxes of the relaxer; once I skimped and only used 1 box, that is when I got underprocessed hair. It's better to have too much, than not enough.

I say all of this from years of experience. I have experienced it all and am currently dealing with a lot of underprocessed hair due to all of these reasons. I did one section of my hair the "right" way (as well as corrected the frizzy sections) and have been monitoring it for almost a year and it is healthy, full of moisture and growing.

IMHO it's much better to do a small section of your hair (strand test doing all of the steps) to see what your results will be, before doing your whole head and not being happy with the results. :)

Very useful info.:)

KhandiB

THis was VERY Helpful.. Thank You!!!

LiLi said:

SweetCaramel1

LiLi said:

i totally agree! if you have thicker hair you have to use more! my hair eats up so much product! relaxing in sections is new to me though. i'll be relaxing in a few weeks and i need to learn how to do this :ohwell:

KhandiB

SweetCaramel1 said:
i totally agree! if you have thicker hair you have to use more! my hair eats up so much product! relaxing in sections is new to me though. i'll be relaxing in a few weeks and i need to learn how to do this :ohwell:

I cant do that..I tried it and underprocessed :( ..PLUS the way the bathroom and even the kitchen in my apartment is set up, makes it more frustrating than anything :lol:

baglady215

I relax by rubberbanding my hair in sections. First I make the four big sections, then I make maybe 5-6 small sections in each of the four. So that's 20-24 small sections throughout my head. Then I go through and apply the relaxer to each section. I kind of squeeze the relaxer through if the section is thick. Then I take out the rubberbands one by one, smooth, and apply more relaxer if needed. This has cut my relaxing time in half! More time for smoothing and processing.

jellynote

I use to do my own relaxers when I was overseas. I tried to do my hair here in Arizona, but my hair just wasn't acting right:ohwell: . So I broke down and went to JcPenney Salon and had a professional do my hair and I must say my hair came out GREAT:grin: :grin:.She used Mizani Regular Lye in my hair. I had the hand in my hair diease:lol: I got so many compliments on my hair I just couldn't believe how good my hair turned out and I'm a 4a/b haired girl.

hottopic

I use cream of nature mild lye relaxer. I love it. It get my hair pretty straight, but no bone straight, but I prefer it that way now. I can go 6-7 weeks before I start having trouble with new growths. And my ends have waves, which allows me to have a better wash and go look. Plus I have thick 4 a/b and I like the thick look (Just don't like combing it...lol).

Last edited:

cocoberry10

sylver2 said:
Thanks cocoberry:)
For me..my styles seem to last much longer when I get it bone straight, also I like my hair to be flat, smooth and bone straight the majority of the time. A lot of people don't care for the flat thin look, but it looks just right on me since my hair is thick and yup much easier to manage.
Although lately I have been lazy and been wearing braidouts for the past couple of months.

Thanks for the info!