Relaxed 4b ladies, what relaxer do you use?

sithembile

i use Affirm Sensitive scalp for normal hair. Its no lye, but my new stylist left it on long enough and combed the roots and my hair got pretty straight, but not limp. I think the key to getting your hair straight is leaving it for the right amount of time for YOU.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
Either Affirm or Mizani. I live in Michigan and in Boston, and have a stylist in each place. My stylist in Michigan prefers the Mizani. The one in Boston prefers the Affirm. Apparently, Mizani has more oils in it, so it takes longer to break down the hair strand, than the Affirm.

LaNecia

I made the switch from the Motions Herbal after a really bad burning experience that had me :censored: :swearing: .

My last retouch I used the Vitale Life and Body, the front and top came out silky straight, the middle came out Texlaxed. Overall though, I'm pleased with the results, I'll just leave the relaxer on this sectipn longer next time.

Princess Pie

I just used Phyto Index II for the second time about 3 1/2 weeks ago. I really like this relaxer. I had NO burning, my hair is straight, and my breakage is significantly reduced. As others have said on this board, AVOID the milky reconstructor. I used it the first time, and it made my hair feel like brillo. The second time, I used ORS replenishing pak and my hair was unbelievable (for a few days anyway).

Faith

VWVixxen said:
I made the switch from the Motions Herbal after a really bad burning experience that had me :censored: :swearing: .

My last retouch I used the Vitale Life and Body, the front and top came out silky straight, the middle came out Texlaxed. Overall though, I'm pleased with the results, I'll just leave the relaxer on this sectipn longer next time.
I'm so glad I reconsidered using the Motions. I had a bad feeling about it...lol. I liked the L&B but found my hair didn't look relaxed after about 2 weeks. Over all I don't think lye works for me...it's always underprocessed. And then a little too long and it's overprocessed.

I decided to end my transitioning and give my hair until the end of this year to turn around before I throw in the relaxed hair towel. I'll be using Phyto Index II

Ladylynn

I decided to go back to no lye since I never had a problem with getting my hair straight. I used ORS no lye regular with great results. My hair came out straight like I like it with body. I have heard good things about Silk Elements no lye as well. The Silk Elements lye version sucked on my hair.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Good thread. :up:

Ladylynn, what strength of the Silk Elements Lye did you use?

To contribute to the thread, the only lye relaxers that have straightened my hair pretty well have been Nairobi and Design Essentials. I did have 2 stylists out of several that could get my hair straight with Affirm Lye--the key was letting it sit for a bit. :)

beana

I have fine 4a hair, so what straightens my hair may not do the trick for you. Phyto index II smoothed and left on for 20 mins leaves my hair bone straight with a slight pattern... a lil too straight so I'm thinkig of using the index 1 next time and really smoothing it in and letting it work for 25 mins( I dont want underprocessed hair). Mild formulations work well for me.

Now the STRONGEST relaxer on the face of the earth for me was mizani lye regular... i call it the devil because it ate through my hair horribly.. and this is with a closely monitored professional application. just too strong for my hair! Revlon lye mild was very strong too...

Ironically switching to no-lye has made a positive difference in the health and appearance of my hair, i love my results and plan on sticking with it!

AtlantaJJ

I'm a newbie and I want to bump this thread back up. I am a 4a mostly with porous hair from wearing braids forever. I've been out of the braids for 1 full week without going crazy! Thank God for Instant Weaves!! (the big cover up) I like this because I can still care for my hair and hide it at the same time.

I have to get a relaxer however because I love to workout. I haven't worked out since I've taken my hair down because it would take a major wash press and curl event to get me back in shape for work!

Man hair is work, that's why I wore those darned braids all the time, I didn't have to think about it! I'm going to stick this out and live a healthy hair lifestyle, thanks in most part to this site.

I am trying to figure our which relaxer to use, I might post this separately. I'm hearing good things about Silk Elements Lye, and PhytoSpecific. But Dang! Why does PS cost so much !! Golly gee willikers!!! I'm thinking since I'm going to be self relaxing I should error on the side of caution and do the PhytoSpecific. I haven't read one person say that their hair jumped out on the floor with PS. I have read that you really have to use the smooth technique to get your hair staight with PS.

I also read that I should do a good calrifying shampoo and moister conditoner about 5 days before the relaxer to get rid of any build up that might be on the hair.

Any advice from you wise sisters would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:

shunta

I use Silk Elements. As a matter of fact, alot of us are using Silk Elements lye. Its the next best thing since sliced bread.:cool: And for 3 dollars and some change, you cant beat it!

AtlantaJJ

shunta said:
I use Silk Elements. As a matter of fact, alot of us are using Silk Elements lye. Its the next best thing since sliced bread.:cool: And for 3 dollars and some change, you cant beat it!

Thanks so much for the tip! And man, and I don't have to wait for it to come in the mail, I can run right by Sally BS and snatch it right up!

I pressed my hair today, it was raining, my hair frizzed of course. But when I look at the strands in the mirror they look shinny and healthy. I did an Aphrogee and a rinse this weekend. I might break down and relax..I dunno yet, but I'm going to get fat and evil if I can't get back into the gym soon!! :eek:

locabouthair

shunta said:

do you use mild, regular, or coarse hair one. my hair is very coarse but im hoping the regular will work for me. is sally's the only place to buy it?

AtlantaJJ

I relaxed with SE Mild last night... that stuff works fast! I am straight with body, a little Text Laxed in the front because I didn't want it to stay on too long. It feels so good!!! It's only going to get better from here. I just came out of braids and my hair is really dry, but I'm going to co-wash, trim and not use heat and I will have a healthy head of hair this time next year. I have about 3 inches that need to come off the ends just to get past the dry hair that the braids cause. Thanks to you guys I was able to break out of braid prison.

I just purchased a phoney phony which I will wear during my workouts, I'm str8t Now!!

WOO HOO

I'm going to get one of those picture account thingies and put some pictures up!

I'm a new product junkie too BTW

mrsmeredith

Motions, Creme of nature, revlon all burned and underprocessed my hair. But someone recommended Relax with leisure "system" and I absolutely love it! :D Its never underprocessed, hair is sooo silky and smooth. I purchased the system from step one to step four.

HoneyDew

AtlantaJJ said:
I relaxed with SE Mild last night... that stuff works fast! I am straight with body, a little Text Laxed in the front because I didn't want it to stay on too long. It feels so good!!! It's only going to get better from here. I just came out of braids and my hair is really dry, but I'm going to co-wash, trim and not use heat and I will have a healthy head of hair this time next year. I have about 3 inches that need to come off the ends just to get past the dry hair that the braids cause. Thanks to you guys I was able to break out of braid prison.

I just purchased a phoney phony which I will wear during my workouts, I'm str8t Now!!

WOO HOO

I'm going to get one of those picture account thingies and put some pictures up!

I'm a new product junkie too BTW

lucky! My hair would NEVER get straight with that mild relaxer. I tried the regular and I was underprocessed. Well, I guess it would work if I left it in longer, but I am scared to do that.

AtlantaJJ

It was easy to relax my virgin hair, but I don't know about doing my own touch-ups, I don't have eyes in the back of my head and if I did, they would burn while I was doing the relaxer wouldn't it??? LOLOLOL I'm silly :lol: :lachen: :lachen: :grin: :grin:

AtlantaJJ

AtlantaJJ said:
I'm a newbie and I want to bump this thread back up. I am a 4a mostly with porous hair from wearing braids forever. I've been out of the braids for 1 full week without going crazy! Thank God for Instant Weaves!! (the big cover up) I like this because I can still care for my hair and hide it at the same time.

I have to get a relaxer however because I love to workout. I haven't worked out since I've taken my hair down because it would take a major wash press and curl event to get me back in shape for work!

Man hair is work, that's why I wore those darned braids all the time, I didn't have to think about it! I'm going to stick this out and live a healthy hair lifestyle, thanks in most part to this site.

I am trying to figure our which relaxer to use, I might post this separately. I'm hearing good things about Silk Elements Lye, and PhytoSpecific. But Dang! Why does PS cost so much !! Golly gee willikers!!! I'm thinking since I'm going to be self relaxing I should error on the side of caution and do the PhytoSpecific. I haven't read one person say that their hair jumped out on the floor with PS. I have read that you really have to use the smooth technique to get your hair staight with PS.

I also read that I should do a good calrifying shampoo and moister conditoner about 5 days before the relaxer to get rid of any build up that might be on the hair.

Any advice from you wise sisters would be greatly appreciated!!

I punked out and went with the $3.99 Silk Elements, I just couldn't see paying $60.00 for a relaxer that I had to put on my own hair....lol oh well....

loved

4z relaxer suggestions

Bumping for relaxer suggestions for extremely coarse hair. I am coming out of a weave w/ braids underneath so my hair is probably porous. I used to have good results w/ barry fletcher, but that did not work well for my last 2 relaxers. I will have 3 or 4 months of new growth so I really do not want to underprocess. I prefer to get my hair straight, that way I do not need to use heat.

beana

Mizani relaxer is the strongest relaxer on earth (IMO)...

I'm at week 5 with design essentials regular (left on for 12-15 mins) and my hair is straight! I love the results i get from this relaxer because it does not "thin" my hair at all.. its straight with body. The relaxer itself is hell to get your hands on, but if you know where to get it, definitely try it.

Soliel185

I use to do my own relaxers when I was overseas. I tried to do my hair here in Arizona, but my hair just wasn't acting right:ohwell: . So I broke down and went to JcPenney Salon and had a professional do my hair and I must say my hair came out GREAT:grin: :grin:.She used Mizani Regular Lye in my hair. I had the hand in my hair diease:lol: I got so many compliments on my hair I just couldn't believe how good my hair turned out and I'm a 4a/b haired girl.

I can't believe there's someone else here living in AZ! Have you found any salons that do decent braiding?

SpiritJunkie

i use Silk Elements lye and it does a good job. My hair could use a little more omph to it. Now that I've mastered self relaxing i bought Affirm Fibregaurd today.

will see how it works for me. it has 9 applications so over time i will see the results with it.

loved

I used Designer Essentials for the first time yesterday and I would recommend it. I will check back in later w/ a report on whether it reverts, how it impacts the health of my hair, etc.

I was able to apply it way more quickly and thoroughly than usual. I was at the end of an 18 week stretch and could barely get through to touch my scalp so I was afraid I would underprocess. Using the suggestions of the LHCF ladies, I did sections - rt & left. W/ the halfs, I sectioned into about 14 parts and clipped the new growth off w/ a rubber clip. I put a protectant and the hair below the clip and generously applied the relaxer to the sections. After hitting the sections, I quickly removed the clips and smoothed. I based well & there was no burning. My hair relaxed w/n the allotted time. No need to "marinate" as the hairdresser who burned my hair out used to do.

almondjoi85

Confession:: I have probably used just about every single drugstore no-lye relaxer (for the purposes of reviews) and I haven't found any one to be better than another. ((shrugs))