Relaxed heads who don't stretch relaxers

blackberry815

Seems like everyone stretches past 10 weeks. Anyone still relax between 6-8 weeks with steady progress? What is your experience? Just curious to see if anyone has been able to reach their goals without stretching.

Sent from my ADR6400L using ADR6400L

blessedandlucky

blackberry815, i usually relax between 8-10 weeks. when i stretched to 12 weeks, i experienced some breakage. i know this isn't everyone's experience re: breakage, but it was mine, so i am cutting back to between 8-10 weeks. before lhcf, i relaxed between 6-8 weeks and had no problem with retaining growth.

Roux

when I was relaxed I couldn't stretch beyond 12 weeks without excessive breakage and shedding. I think that people see the 'success' of few that do long stretches and see it as a growth method rather than what it's really used for. prior to hair care I would relax every 8 weeks.

Your Cheeziness

Before my hair journey, my stylist relaxed me between 6-7 weeks and I retained length just fine. He was careful about overlapping and gave me a protein/moisturizing deep condition treatment under the dryer to prevent any issues. Since I'm used to stretching now, I will probably not go past 10 weeks.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I relaxed 6-8 before LHCF with no issues. I now stretch to 10 because I know that's better for my hair's health. If 6-8 works for you, then roll with it. Otherwise, stretch. Stretching is not for everyone, though. It's about finding balance.

Relentless

Reinventing
As divachyk said, my experience is similar. I used to relax faithfully every 6 weeks with no problem before LHCF. I have found that stretching is better for my hair, but no longer than 9 weeks. I can go for sure 8 weeks (but that's about it LOL) thanks to the ladies tips on LHCF. It's different for everyone though. I suggest keep doing what you are doing now. 6 to 8 weeks is a good time frame IMO.

I hope my 2 cents help. :)

taz007

I relax my hair every 7-8 weeks like clockwork! I just make sure to coat the previously relaxed hair with Neutralizing shampoo and vaseline.

This seems to work best for me.

blackberry815

I relax my hair every 7-8 weeks like clockwork! I just make sure to coat the previously relaxed hair with Neutralizing shampoo and vaseline.

This seems to work best for me.

Really ? Neutralizing shampoo? I would be afraid of the drying effect of the shampoo. Also I would be scared it could
Touch the newgrowth during the process and prevent my hair from processing. Do u put the vaseline on first and then do the shampoo over it?

I tried vaseline the last time but I felt like it made my relaxed ends stick together, which made parting to get the relaxer in more difficult then I would've liked. Do u think coating it with conditioner would help? I was thinking of using porosity control.

Sent from my ADR6400L using ADR6400Lc

blackberry815

As divachyk said, my experience is similar. I used to relax faithfully every 6 weeks with no problem before LHCF. I have found that stretching is better for my hair, but no longer than 9 weeks. I can go for sure 8 weeks (but that's about it LOL) thanks to the ladies tips on LHCF. It's different for everyone though. I suggest keep doing what you are doing now. 6 to 8 weeks is a good time frame IMO.

I hope my 2 cents help. :)

7 and a half weeks is pretty much my limit. I see long broken strands right around 6 weeks. Which makes me wanna move it up. It seems like non stretchers have very little representation on this site. I wish I could stretch longer but my hair breaks and I look a mess... that and I love the look of a fresh relaxer.

leona2025

I'm gonna start counting my weeks. I relax when every I feel like it's too much. Lol. I like my waves so I hold on to them for a while and then when I feel like they getting too unruly I relax. Most time I can't even remember the last time I relax. I try to remember to mark it on the calendar.

blackberry815

I'm gonna start counting my weeks. I relax when every I feel like it's too much. Lol. I like my waves so I hold on to them for a while and then when I feel like they getting too unruly I relax. Most time I can't even remember the last time I relax. I try to remember to mark it on the calendar.

I never used to remember the exact date I relaxed before I joined this site lol. Now I have to remember the date and count how many weeks post relaxer I am each week.

amwcah

I tried vaseline the last time but I felt like it made my relaxed ends stick together, which made parting to get the relaxer in more difficult then I would've liked. Do u think coating it with conditioner would help? I was thinking of using porosity control.

Sent from my ADR6400L using ADR6400Lc

blackberry815

I protect my previously relaxed hair with Roux PC.

browneyedgrl

I used to be able to go for up to 16 weeks at a time. for the past year my hair has stopped cooperating after week 8 so I relax between 8-10 wks.

JJamiah

Prior to LHCF I'd relax every 8 months. I went to every 4 months for 2 years. I now am at every 6 months for my relaxer. I don't think of this as a long stretch, just my schedule.

I don't see any issues with relaxing sooner as long as there is no overlap. :)

blackberry815

We should have a non stretcher support thread. Wait does a thread like that already exist?

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I've stretch anywhere between 12 and 16 weeks. I wear my hair in buns and updos most of the time and during my stretches, I condition wash and deep condition several times (3-4) a week. I only detangle when my hair has been deep conditioned and then put it up-no manipulation between washes.

SuchaLady

I dont stretch either. However I dont relax as often as I used to. I go somewhere around 8 weeks now. I think its also a mentality. I havent had a perm in awhile (In school and mom does perms) and I didnt even notice. Now if I had said "Im going to stretch!" Im sure I would be having issues that probably arent even real lol

Before LHCF, I relaxed every 8 weeks/2 months, my hair grew about the same, but when I stopped greasing my scalp and washing my hair more often, it grew faster, when I joined LHCF I stretched my relaxers, it was harder to do my hair, and since I've been going so long without relaxing, when I relax, my hair is left underprocessed, so right now I don't know what I want to do with my hair, relax or braid it up, it's too hot to wear it down, so I might just braid it up and relax later......but I agree with most ladies, stretching isn't for everyone....I tried to go 6 months (i will NEVER do that again) and it was like I couldn't comb my hair.....so do what best fits for u, most ladies who stretch usually don't comb their hair much, so if u can go without combing your hair, then stretching longer shouldn't be an issue.

Softerlove

I dont stretch either. However I dont relax as often as I used to. I go somewhere around 8 weeks now. I think its also a mentality. I havent had a perm in awhile (In school and mom does perms) and I didnt even notice. Now if I had said "Im going to stretch!" Im sure I would be having issues that probably arent even real lol

Exactly, mind over matter?? I will be 7 weeks post tomorrow and the fact I'm now realizing this spells doom! When I plan to stretch its murder, but when it just happens my hair is good. Fyi I still wear my hair down in flexi rods, wash weekly, and do not blow dry my roots. I'm 4 a/b and i plan to relax when my hair asks for it. I think that products, treatment have a lot to do with it. I planned to relax at 8- 10 weeks since I have more than 1.25 inches in some places, but im taking it day by day. Plus ORS edge control is making ne look presentable so no rush.

Sent from my MyTouch 4G

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
When I was relaxed, I could stretch 6 months, no problem with using ceramides in my hair. I just washed, conditioned, and blow dry strait using silicon mix. I had no breakage or shedding. When I was in a rush, I would just bun it with silicon mix. I would pre- poo with coconut oil with ayervedic oils in it, as well. My hair was mostly low to no manipulated styles.

OhmyKimB

I don't go past eight weeks, Recently I did 10 weeks ONLY because I had put color in my hair and counted from the color week not my actual relax week...

blackberry815

blessedandlucky

I apply it to my previously relaxed hair so I won't overlap my relaxers. It also aids in less tangles when I am applying and rinsing out the relaxer.

I've also read some threads where people use it on the newgrowth right before they relax and reported that the hair got straighter.... So I guess my question is does it really protect from overlapping if it helps it process better?

ElegantElephant

Great thread OP! I've tried to stretch beyond 12 weeks, but as many of you have already posted, I too experienced lots of shedding. I agree, a support thread for non stretchers is a good idea.:grin: