Relaxed heads who don't stretch relaxers

danysedai

I stretched once or twice from 12 to 16 weeks but I had a hard time and some breakage. I relax every 8, 10, 12 weeks at most.I'm at week 10 and I have an appointment in 2 weeks but yesterday I flat ironed with my GHD and it looks like I have a fresh relaxer so I'm thinking about going for a bit longer.

For the ones who were talking about covering their relaxed hair with roux or vaseline, has anyone tried the Mizani Honey shield (I think that's what it's called) it's meant to protect the relaxed ends, I think I might give it a try this month.

blackberry815

I stretched once or twice from 12 to 16 weeks but I had a hard time and some breakage. I relax every 8, 10, 12 weeks at most.I'm at week 10 and I have an appointment in 2 weeks but yesterday I flat ironed with my GHD and it looks like I have a fresh relaxer so I'm thinking about going for a bit longer.

For the ones who were talking about covering their relaxed hair with roux or vaseline, has anyone tried the Mizani Honey shield (I think that's what it's called) it's meant to protect the relaxed ends, I think I might give it a try this month.

I thought of purchasing this too but I don't know if its more than just a conditioner

Sent from my ADR6400L using ADR6400L

krissyprissy

I relax between 6 to 9 weeks depending on how my schedule is. My hair has not suffered any setbacks due to frequency of relaxers.

Mische

I have used the Mizani Honey Shield for my past three relaxers. I always "seal" it in with coconut oil though. I just figure it can't hurt and it seems to be a great combo. The protectant smells fantastic, too. :lick:

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
I like this thread...I think my main reason for trying to stretch although I know I probably shouldn't is because I'm hoping to be surprised by the difference in length:ohwell: This time around I'm going 8 weeks:grin:

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I'm a non stretcher also. I usually relax every 6-8 wks. The longest I "stretched" was 11 wks and I'll never do that again because my hair was actually thinner after that. That was so disappointing.

I'm 8 wks now and I actually feel like I could go so much longer. However, I have an event this weekend that I want to look fabulous for and I need to apply my semi permanent color also so I will relax at 9wks.

I think since I've been wearing this phony pony and moisturizing with NTM leave-in my hair is really cooperating.

I protect my previously relaxed hair with coconut oil. I actually DRENCH it with the coconut oil and that seems to give my hair so much bounce/weight after I relax and DC under the steamer. :yep:

Lissa0821

I normally stretch 12 to 16 weeks but from week 8 on, I flat iron my roots. I usually increase the heat as my roots get thicker. I have decided to go back to every 8 weeks for the spring and summer in order to be heat free.

almondjoi85

I have my stretching moments, but I usually go like every 10 weeks. I was relaxing every 6 and that ended up giving me problems.com

GraceV

In my opinion, the main point of stretching is to reduce overlap. I used to go up to 14 weeks but not anymore. The breakage far outweighed any benefits. I'm slowly coming down on my duration. 2 relaxers ago I went 12 weeks, last relaxer was 11 weeks. I think I will stick to 11-12 depending on how my hair feels.

outspokenwallflower

Currently, the longest I've ever stretched to was 12 weeks. Even still, past 9-10 weeks, I usually come across breakage issues. Before LHCF I relaxed every 8 weeks like CLOCKWORK. My hair always grew quickly and nicely. I think stretchin differs for many, but my last two stretches and this thread has helped me realize that it's NOT for me. Another reason why I tend to stretch my relaxers is because I'm always messing with color, so ii wait to be safe.

P.S. Another vote for mizani honey shield!!

NIN4eva

I've tried to stretch to 12 weeks a few times, but I get serious breakage around 9 or 10 weeks, lately I've been relaxing about at about week 8 and I haven't experienced any issues. I also make a serious effort not to overlap and I coat my previously relaxed hair with conditioner and/or serum.

blackberry815

I'm thinking of maybe relaxing my edges every other relaxer since they don't grow as fast as the rest of my head. Since im going every 8 weeks I wanna avoid overlap. Either that or hit them all the way at the end. Maybe the last 5 minutes of processing.

Sheena

I'm so happy to see this thread. I was beginning to think that I was the only person who could not stretch a relaxer. I relax my hair every 6 to 8 weeks, depending on the growth. I tried stretching but that led to breakage and underprocessed hair - it seems like stretching causes my hair to become more resistant to the relaxer - this doesn't make any sense but it happens. Texlaxing also didn't work for me since I was spending way too much time and energy trying to keep my hair looking smooth and sleek, the way I like it.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
I'm thinking of maybe relaxing my edges every other relaxer since they don't grow as fast as the rest of my head. Since im going every 8 weeks I wanna avoid overlap. Either that or hit them all the way at the end. Maybe the last 5 minutes of processing.

This is a good idea.

blackberry815

I'm so happy to see this thread. I was beginning to think that I was the only person who could not stretch a relaxer. I relax my hair every 6 to 8 weeks, depending on the growth. I tried stretching but that led to breakage and underprocessed hair - it seems like stretching causes my hair to become more resistant to the relaxer - this doesn't make any sense but it happens. Texlaxing also didn't work for me since I was spending way too much time and energy trying to keep my hair looking smooth and sleek, the way I like it.

Its bone straight or nothin for me!

Angelicus

I usually shoot for 12 weeks but I just couldn't this time. I broke down at week 6 but couldn't relax until week 8 (I get my relaxer by mail). I used to be able to stretch with no issue... my hair has changed so much from years ago.

blackberry815

When I was younger I used to stretch relaxers cuz my mom wouldn't let me relax often. But when I got older I started going for relaxers every 6 weeks at Dominican salons and my hair actually got thicker and longer. I think it was due to less breakage from dealing with the two textures. It could have been from healthier hair practices on general but I notice that a lot of people who stretch tend to have thinner ends.. I think that some of that can be attributed to breakage from the two textures and the increase if shedding from needing a relaxer. Not saying everyone who stretches has thin ends but many do. Idk just my estimate. And I know people say that their hair thickens up from stretching but can some of that be attributed to underprocessing because of trying to relax all that extra new growth? And also of course ur hair is gonna look thicker in the roots if its breaking on the ends and long strands are shedding right? When I look at marcherie's hair it looks full all the way down to her ends and she relaxes every 8 weeks. On my hair I think it would be good to stretch every once in a while maybe to breakup the routine but I don't think stretching regularly would be good for me because my hairtype causes strands to break off and shedding like crazy once I hit 7 to 8 weeks post no matter how much I moisturize or comb gently.

blackberry815

Also the fact that I'm relaxed bone straight and am a roller setter also attributes to me not being able to stretch without breakage. The difference between the two textures is just too drastically different. I think maybe if I were texlaxed and did braidouts I would be more successful at it. But braidouts don't work well for my ends.

taz007

Really ? Neutralizing shampoo? I would be afraid of the drying effect of the shampoo. Also I would be scared it could
Touch the newgrowth during the process and prevent my hair from processing. Do u put the vaseline on first and then do the shampoo over it?

I tried vaseline the last time but I felt like it made my relaxed ends stick together, which made parting to get the relaxer in more difficult then I would've liked. Do u think coating it with conditioner would help? I was thinking of using porosity control.

I do not experience dryness and I think that it is due to the vaseline. I mix the neutralizing shampoo and the vaseline together and then apply it to my hair. I prepart my hair so that I do not have to part it when I apply the relaxer.

I do not get the neutralizing shampoo/vaseline on the new growth.

Here is a link to my relaxing process:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=470056

blackberry815

I do not experience dryness and I think that it is due to the vaseline. I mix the neutralizing shampoo and the vaseline together and then apply it to my hair. I prepart my hair so that I do not have to part it when I apply the relaxer.

I do not get the neutralizing shampoo/vaseline on the new growth.

Here is a link to my relaxing process:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=470056

Thanks so much! Do u prepart the hair under the cap too?

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I'm 8 wks post and will be relaxing tomorrow at 8.5 wks. Why is it that just as I'm about to relax any day now my scalp starts to itch??? Now if I scratch it I'm asking for scalp burns. So you end up patting your head the same way girls with wigs do and that's soooo not a good look LOL. :nono:

TresLeches

I just tried to stretch 16 WEEKS! And I had MAJOR breakage...like MAJOR!!! I used to relax every 6 weeks faithfully when I was a little younger and I never had probelms and actually now that I recall..my hair was longer & thicker when I was doing that.

Cherokee-n-Black

Seems like everyone stretches past 10 weeks. Anyone still relax between 6-8 weeks with steady progress? What is your experience? Just curious to see if anyone has been able to reach their goals without stretching.

I'm transitioning now, but before I started my transition I was MBL (goal was BSL) and I was getting my hair relaxed faithfully every 8 weeks. Any more (weeks) than that and I got a lot of line of demarcation breakage. I did get good results at the beginning of my transition with Lacio Lacio leave-in, so if I were still relaxing, I might try stretching with that. But yes, I got steady progress with that method. I went from SL to MBL in 2 years, got to APL after one. So it can be done (and I actually don't like stretching).

beloved1bx

I just ended a 12 week stretch yesterday. I didn't stretch this long completely on purpose. Part of me wanted to see if i could do it, but also the week before the stylist i planned to go to was out of town, and before that i had been scratching my head too much so definitely couldn't go. I think 8-10 weeks is good for me though. If i was a self-relaxer maybe i wouldn't stretch as long, but since i haven't figured out how to do that without being wayyy under-processed, i also stretch a bit to save some money...aka i'm cheap, LoL.

sj73

I use to relax every 6 weeks, but I now go every 12 weeks. One thing I did learn, I didn't have enough new growth to relax at 6 weeks (overlapping was unavoidable). I do have shedding at 12 weeks, but I think the earliest I could EVER go is 8 weeks. Just not worth the relaxer before then.

SilverSurfer

I just learned that my hair can not take long stretches, major major breakage. I will need to relax between 6 to 8 weeks max.

SunySydeofLyfe

This was 6 months ago...any updates? I am at week 8...I wanted to stretch longer but...this nappgrowth...I mean new growth is not cooperating!!

klsjackson

I tried stretching and its not for me. I experienced too much breakage. I'm going back to my 6-8 weeks. I did retain length with no problem. I normally keep a cut (style) so when my layers would grow out, I would get at cut/trim. Never had breakage issues until stretching.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
I relax every 16 weeks. I only do it because I like to see results in my length rentention. Other than that, I wouldn't go past 12 weeks.

I think the trick to stretching to prevent major breakage is to stay out of your hair. 'No' rather than 'low' manipulation is the key to me. ;)

I see some ladies stating they relax @ 8 weeks. You all are lucky! I never see enough NG to relax @ 8 wks. I always have less than half an inch. :(

Sent from my LG-MS690 using LG-MS690