Relaxer stretching. Which is easier?

LongHairDreams

Out of curiousity, is it easier to stretch with longer or shorter hair? Also, those who started out with shorter relaxed hair, what did you do to help you stretch? Thanks.

ETA: sorry if it sounds like a silly question

Last edited:

charmtreese

When my hair was shorter I used phony ponies to help me stretch. Now my hair is a little longer, I find it easier to stretch!

Lady Esquire

I barely had chin length hair with my first stretch. I find that longer is much easier. Not only because I have more hair to work with, but the experience over the years makes you hone your stretching muscles.

chebaby

my hair is a little past apl and its very easy for me to stretch. in fact i have been transitioning for 10 months or so.

RegaLady

Harder to stretch with shorter hair. It looks like a fro' in 6-10 weeks. But, I wore half wigs and sew ins to get me through!:drunk:

plastic

when i was a couple of inches past SL .. i stretched using buns and cornrows ...
now that it is a lil past APL .. i stretch using buns and cornrows lol

seriously though - it is easier to stretch with longer hair. I find i can wear my buns loose without having to try and get all of my hair into the ponytail.

Monigirl

It is easier to stretch with long hair than short. When I was stretching with my short hair it was definately harder. Now I am back to shoulder length thank God!! What helped me during my short relaxer stretchs was wearing box braids and often throwing on sensationals instant weaves, or doing cornrow style.

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
I'd say longer her is easier to stretch with.....when I had SL relaxed hair I used to relax every 8 to 10 weeks and I barely noticed.

Nayeli

I suppose I'm the oddity then. I started off at neck length and stretching was a breeze. Hair pins were my best friends, so my everyday style was usually based on popping in a pin or two - I could do this for months! Now that I'm shoulder length, its more difficult to hold up my hair with pins alone and washing and DC-ing is a bit more challenging. Essentially, the less hair I had to deal with, the less the burdern, and the less I felt the need to relax and ease that burden.:rolleyes:

Tamrin

unapologetic
I think time and little longer hair makes it easier. I just finished my 2nd 6 month stretch. The issue is often styling options. for my first stretch I lived in a bun or twists. This time I was trying braid outs. At least Im learning to be stylish.

PuddingPop

My hair is neck length and I find it very difficult to try to stretch at this length. I try to but it's not working out too good. 8 weeks is about as long as I can go at this point, and thats pushing it.

Eisani

Longer. I find the longer my hair gets, the less I worry about relaxing/texlaxing. It'll be 8 months on the 13th.