• Yes

Votes: 34 75.6%
  • No

Votes: 11 24.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I think one thing that is important to remember is to stick with what works for your hair.

No matter what the reviews say.

If lye works for you and has for years, why switch and Chance a setback?

Same goes for no lye. Even if others have dry hair from it. If your hair is healthy and happy, why mess with it?

I think it's good to have information, but in the end we all should do what works for our individual hair. :)

LushLox

I think one thing that is important to remember is to stick with what works for your hair.

No matter what the reviews say.

If lye works for you and has for years, why switch and Chance a setback?

Same goes for no lye. Even if others have dry hair from it. If your hair is healthy and happy, why mess with it?

I think it's good to have information, but in the end we all should do what works for our individual hair. :)

Quoted for truth.

What I've quickly established about this hair game is that 'one size does not fit all.' Some have had to learn this the hard way.

For the lady who asked, I use ORS Creamy Aloe.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
No-lye ladies, how often do you use chelating poo? Have you had to change your regimens in any other ways since making the switch?

I usually chelate about once a month. My last wash day I was 1 week post and I Chelated during that wash day since I was newly relaxed.

I kept my Regimen the same.:yep:

What chelaters are you using?

I am using Joico Chelating Shampoo. Would like to have another one in my stash at some point. Maybe Redken or something by Affirm/Mizan?

Maybe even ORS (it gets alot of great reviews):look:

TLC1020

I guess it depends on the person....

Lye works well with my hair.. My mom & sister use no-lye and their hair is just fine but when I used no-lye some years ago... It was a hard crunchy mess.. :(

Itllbeokbaby

Mini mimi, do you have a sensitive scalp?

@vtoodler

nope not really; i was a hard-press-and-curl girl for many years. all that popping grease, and heat made me tough :lol:.

or so i thought...

to chelate, i use ORS (organic root stimulator) Olive Oil creamy aloe; but looking at this new bottle, it now does not say it chelates. it use to say that. maybe i picked up the wrong bottle. i need to go to the store.

i still use the little bottles in the box kit until they are all used up, too.

i chelate if/when my hair feels dry and tough - it depends. i seriously think it's my tap water.

Last edited:

Sheena

Am I the only one who had a serious case of dry, itchy scalp when using ORS no lye? I tried it a few months ago and within a few days I was itching like crazy and anything I put on my scalp just seemed to work a few hours then it was dry and itching again. It cleared up after I switched back to lye.

Solitude

I use no-lye and I do find no-lye relaxers to be drying. If I ever switched to lye, I would have to go back to getting my hair professionally relaxed because lye relaxers are no joke. For me, lye relaxers burn my scalp and no lye doesn't burn.

My hair doesn't get bone straight unless I go to the salon. At home, I use no lye and my hair still has some texture to it.

Prudent1

@IDareT'sHair,
I used to work at a hair salon many moons ago...:lol:. At the time my DD swam daily. I was concerned about chlorine build up and was introduced to Aloe Rid by a stylist working there. From what I understand, the main difference between a chelating poo vs a clarifying poo is that a chelating poo has the ability to improve rinsability by binding to the stuff (metals from hard water, chemicals, product build up) they are removing from the hair. Both deep clean the hair and scalp. I have actually seen it marketed as both. It works more like a chelator to me. Now thanks to the magic of google, I've stumbled upon a website tonight that says Aloe Rid is err apparently popular among those having a 'Britney Spears circa 2007' moment:blush:. I don't think a clarifyer can do that:blush::nono: nor do I condone anyone using it for that purpose:naughty:**raises eyebrow**.

Product Description
The ultimate chelator that thoroughly removes stubborn buildup, residual medication, heavy metals, minerals and harmful impurities from the internal and external structure of the hair. Eliminates chlorine green from swimmer's hair.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@IDareT'sHair,
I used to work at a hair salon many moons ago...:lol:. At the time my DD swam daily. I was concerned about chlorine build up and was introduced to Aloe Rid by a stylist working there. From what I understand, the main difference between a chelating poo vs a clarifying poo is that a chelating poo has the ability to improve rinsability by binding to the stuff (metals from hard water, chemicals, product build up) they are removing from the hair. Both deep clean the hair and scalp. I have actually seen it marketed as both. It works more like a chelator to me. Now thanks to the magic of google, I've stumbled upon a website tonight that says Aloe Rid is err apparently popular among those having a 'Britney Spears circa 2007' moment:blush:. I don't think a clarifyer can do that:blush::nono: nor do I condone anyone using it for that purpose:naughty:**raises eyebrow**.

Product Description
The ultimate chelator that thoroughly removes stubborn buildup, residual medication, heavy metals, minerals and harmful impurities from the internal and external structure of the hair. Eliminates chlorine green from swimmer's hair.

Prudent1

That is Great to know.:grin: Thank you for a very detailed/descriptive response. That was very nice of you to do.

I have had this in my Stash for sometime.:ohwell:

I knew a Chelator was to remove Mineral Deposits etc......and thought it would be beneficial especially since I made the switch to No-Lye.

And I wanted to have another Chelator in my stash other than Joico (just for a back-up) although I bought Redken Hair Cleansing Cream this evening.....:look:

*runs and pulls Aloe-Rid out too*:yep:

Thanks Again Lady:hug2:

Kiki28

I always thought that lye relaxers were better for the hair, but I've been going to a new salon that uses no-lye and my hair is thriving. My stylist said she uses is 'de-calcifying shampoo' is this the same as chelating?
I'm also deep conditioning and roller setting every week and moisturizing and sealing once or twice a day- no dryness issues and I'm starting to retain some length finally.
Most of all, I'm enjoying not burning with every touch up. :)

DarkAngell

Just based on my own experience, lye has been better for my hair. I never have dryness like i did with no-lye, I don't get as much breakage, and in agreement with a previous poster it is hard to get bone straight which sets my mind at ease since I too am a texlaxer.

oh...and it smells better. I don't seem to carry around that chemical aroma for a week like i did when i used no-lye.

Miss_C

Thanks for this thread OP, it's clearing up the mystery of why my hair was nice when my mom relaxed it (lye) and why it was so terrible when some little girl in the neighborhood did it (no lye). I'm not relaxed anymore, but I'm learning alot that I never knew.

vtoodler

Thanks for this thread OP, it's clearing up the mystery of why my hair was nice when my mom relaxed it (lye) and why it was so terrible when some little girl in the neighborhood did it (no lye). I'm not relaxed anymore, but I'm learning alot that I never knew.

You're welcome. I've always wondered this myself.

Judwill07

My experience was that I started out with ORS no lye and used it for a couple of years and noticed that my hair was dry. I did a little reading around and found others who used lye relaxers had better moister retention. So I decided to try it and I've had great results. My last relaxer was Sept 10. I noticed that this winter I didn't have as much dryness in my hair. I also changed my shampoo to the ORS one for lye perms and I did hair mayo once a week with additional wheat germ and olive oil mixed in. But I still say the switch was better for my hair. I based my scalp well and didn't have issues with a sore scalp. Was a great move for me.:yep:

Jewell

I have used a no-lye relaxer one time in the last 15 years, by accident--the JCP stylist put a Mizani no-lye in my hair when I usually used lye. I INSTANTLY noticed the increased dryness and stiffness in my hair as compared to a lye relaxer.

In general, it is thought that lye relaxers are better for the hair, but tough on the scalp (they burn), and no-lye is usually composed of calcium ingredients, which end up in the hair and lend to the problematic dryness and breakage so many women who use box (no-lye) relaxers constantly experience, but it is gentler on the scalp.

Lye was always best for me when I was relaxed...and the women in my family once they stopped using the box relaxers had much better hair condition and retention. I did not have any problem with moisture retention or breakage using lye...EVER.

ETA: I self-relaxed my hair with lye for many years, as do my mom and 17-year-old sis. It does burn, but if you are careful to base, and NOT SCRATCH or comb, as well as waiting several days between braid or weave takedowns and relaxing with lye, you should be ok. :look:

Most of the time, I did not burn AT ALL with a lye relaxer (and it was left on an average of 20 mins start to rinse)...but I was very careful to base thoroughly and not scratch or roughly handle my hair (snatching, scraping the scalp while parting, and pulling the hair). Had to stop mom's from doing my relaxers some years back because she was always snatching and pulling my hair like she was annoyed...then came the burn. :nono:

Last edited:

WorkInProgress88

its all personal preference i guess ... i went lye 2yrs ago after YEARS of no-lye, and i won't be returning back to no-lye. My hair isnt dry as wood on the scalp and stuck to my head. One thing i have learned about LYE relaxers is you have to find one that works for you. I've tried Mizani BB and SE because they are highly talked about BUT those two relaxers left me highly underprocssed, I also started shedding more than normal. I'm not using Elasta QP Lye Relaxer and i couldnt be happier.

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
I think Lye is a no-go for me. I never really paid attention to the lye/no-lye, until a few years ago. With no-lye, I did not have the horrible mid-strands splits/breaks like I do now. My last 3-4 touchups were with lye (or could it be the relaxer brand?) I deep conditioned, protein, moisturized, low-mani, low-no heat, every healthy hair practice under the sun, and the breakage ridiculous. And the kicker, MY HAIR WAS NEVER DRY! It stayed moisturized & some days shiny (not sheeny). So I could not understand the breakage/splits. I did not have this prob w/ no-lye & not when I was natural for a brief moment in time. So I'm transitioning, I don't feel like trying to find the best chemical combo for my hair anymore.

blackpearl81

I was using no-lye which caused severe dryness. Once I switched to lye, I immediately saw a difference the health of my hair; it was thicker and seemed more moisturized. I think that switching was one of the main things that has gotten my hair to the point that it is right now.

Britt

Just based on my own experience, lye has been better for my hair. I never have dryness like i did with no-lye, I don't get as much breakage, and in agreement with a previous poster it is hard to get bone straight which sets my mind at ease since I too am a texlaxer.

oh...and it smells better. I don't seem to carry around that chemical aroma for a week like i did when i used no-lye.

YES... I remember getting a relaxer and literally a good 5-6 days later I was in the gym sweating up a storm and all I could smell was relaxer :perplexed. I was surprised b/c I relaxed days ago. But I do notice that w/ the no-lye, even when it's washed out well, I can still smell the relaxer in my hair by next wash.

RelaxednNapulous

My hair seems to like lye better - it's not as dry. I burned just as much with no-lye as I do with lye -- good basing helps, because I'm a scratcher.

I'm not sure if it's the fact that I'm more experienced or because I mix with condish and oils, but the lye is rinsing out of my hair much more easily and completely. With no-lye I always had areas that were hard and stuck to my head the next day, no matter how well I rinsed and how many times I washed with neutralizing 'poo. I haven't had that happen once with lye. Even when someone else did my relaxers with lye, I didn't have the hard, stuck to my scalp sections.