Relaxing after 2.5 years some advice needed!

CurlyCoilycourt

Long Story Short
My last relaxer was October 2008 when I decided to start the journey to the natural side...transitioned for 10 months then cut it off. I've been natural ever since, but now I have decided to relax my hair. I feel the difference this time as oppose to being relaxed in the past is that I know how to take care of my hair ( NO DIRECT HEAT, deep conditioning, protective styling)...it's a decision I made myself no influences and I'm finally comfortable in making this commitment (if I don't like it I can always transition again). I plan to go to a stylist whom I trust and that will be my only salon visit because I definitely do not trust myself relaxing my own hair :nono: I plan to become a full DIYER!!

Advice Needed
I've been doing research on the site for about a month now but there are still a few lingering questions...

Are there any steps to take before getting a relaxer?
What do you do after getting a relaxer?
Do you find that natural vs non natural products work best (product suggestions)?
Any other tips/advice are greatly appreciated!!

I have learned so much from this site (natural and relaxed) and anxious in this next hair step in my journey :) I really appreciate the advice and support and happy that I reached this decision!!!
TIA

EbonyCPrincess

Congrats on returning to the relaxed side! Naturals always say congrats, so I do too! :lachen: I like to do a protein treatment and clarify before. Some people also do a porosity treatment either with Roux or with an ACV rinse. I love natural ingredient products, my staples are Bee Mine and Giovanni. Since you are relaxing virgin hair this step isn't necessary this time, but I always protect my previously relaxed hair with conditioner or petroleum before a touch up. You may want to research whether you want to do a protein treatment mid-relaxer or after...some like to do it after rinsing but before neutralizing while others do it after. I personally have not noticed a difference so my stylist does it after completely neutralizing. But I do think it is worth researching. Good luck and don't forget to come back and update us! Yes you absolutely can have healthy long relaxed hair!

koolkittychick

I also congratulate you! When I went to have my virgin hair relaxed a little over 19 months ago (after 4 years being natural), I made sure I had washed and deep conditioned my hair the week before my appointment.

If you have been taking care of your natural hair, you probably won't need a keratin treatment mid relaxer, but I recommend it on your subsequent visits.

Consider using the hair care line that goes with your brand of relaxer; I use Paul Mitchell (same as what my stylist uses to relax my hair), and once I got into the habit of washing and deep conditioning weekly, it has made a world of difference in the condition and health of my hair.

Don't forget to moisturize often, like every other day if not every day. I use Africa's Best Organics Olive Oil Moisturizing Growth Lotion (http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/af...turizing-growth-lotion/ID=prod1835177-product) and my hair seems to love it. It has cut my shedding and broken hairs in half and has made detangling so much easier, especially when I'm in the middle of a stretch.

Which brings me to the other important point: stretch your relaxer! The first year I relaxed, I got a touch up every 4 to 6 weeks and retained only 2 of the 6 inches I grew. During the next 6 months, I stretched for a minimum of 8 weeks, and I retained 50% more new growth. These last few months I have been pushing myself to make it to 12 to 16 weeks, and the last time I relaxed in May, I retained the entire 1.5 inches I grew during my almost 3-month stretch. :grin:

Good luck with your relaxer, and be sure to post the pics when you're done!

Last edited:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I do an aphogee two step protein treatment the week before I relax. (full disclosure---i texlax and only process for ten min to keep my curls)

The week of I rest my hair and don't wear stressful styles like ponytails etc.

I oil my scalp with hot six oil the day before using an applicator bottle (don't rub scalp)) to protect my scalp and also to slow the relaxer a little so i protect my hair from damage.

I also put conditioner on the ends of my hair to protect from relaxer run off since this hair is the oldest hair.

I do light protein after relaxer is rinsed out and then moisture after neutralizing.

A week after the relaxer I do a strand test and either do a protein or moisture deep condition depending on what my hair needs.

Welcome back :)

Sent from my iPhone while out living my best life!

Curlybeauty

Products will come with a lot of trial and error.

But for the most part, my relaxed hair hated the same products my natural hair did.

My hair loves protein, and that was the major difference when I went back to relaxing. However, I cannot do the hardcore protein because my hair will act a donkey smh

I do no prep work other than trying not to scratch my scalp the week or a couple days before.

CurlyCoilycourt

:lachen:

Congrats from me as well :) Have you considered texlaxing? Do you plan to stretch?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF

At first I just planned to relax once and maybe start the transition process over but now I think I am going to try and stretch my relaxers every 3-4 months!!

sunnieb

Got another one! :giggle: Congrats and welcome back to the relaxed side of the house!

My tips:

Low or no direct heat - see if your stylist will do a rollerset instead of blowdrying and flatironing after your relaxer application.

Make sure she doesn't rush the neutralizing step. I take 30 minutes to do this.

Deep condition at least once a week.

Don't forget to clarify shampoo at least once a month. I do it twice a month. Check out this article:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5644802/do_i_need_to_use_a_clarifying_shampoo.html?cat=69

We are all here for you if you have anymore questions!

Rapunzel1309

Hi everyone! I am new to LHCF and only 3 months into my hair journey. I would still consider myself a newbie b/c I haven't taken full ownership of my hair just yet (still go to the salon bi-weekly). KQT20, I have the same story as you - I have been natural for 2 years in August, and I'm headed back to the dark side b/c I miss my silky, straight hair lol! I've always had thick, coarse, shoulder length hair that I thought would grow longer if I stopped relaxing. Not at all - it's been quite a struggle b/c I work out daily. Natural hair and sweat don't mix well if you want to wear straight styles. Long story short, I'm planning to get a relaxer in September and I am counting down the weeks! Good luck with your hair journey and can't wait to see you reach your final goal! HHJ

Ms. Tiki

I just wanted to say heeeyyy and congrats. I just relaxed last weekend after being natural since Sept. 09. I'm happy with my hair but I didn't relax bone straight. I texlaxed.

CurlyCoilycourt

Ok one question is it safe for me to relax even with a bit of heat damage? I've been nursing my hair back to health but wanted to make sure it was ok

EbonyCPrincess

Ok one question is it safe for me to relax even with a bit of heat damage? I've been nursing my hair back to health but wanted to make sure it was ok

Well is it damaged or is it heat trained? I think its okay if your hair is healthy but just isn't reverting all the way. Meaning, its not dry, brittle, breaking or splitting. I know many naturals would disagree and say hair that doesn't fully revert = damage....but I kind've disagree. So if you don't have any serious problems with it, I would say it will be ok and just continue to baby it and nurse it back to health.