Relaxing After Almost a Decade of Being Natural

kitchen_tician

Re: Relaxing After Almost a Decade of Being Natura

Oshun, your hair sounds wonderful. I'm really glad you posted this because I've been secretly debating transitioning again and your points were very insightful.

I also enjoy wearing my hair straight and it would be very time consuming for me to try and constantly straighten my hair.

I hope and pray all turns out well for you.

Okay ladies, so I took my pictures and headed over to the salon.

When I got there my stylist was finishing up on the lady ahead of me. Once he was finished with her, I told him we needed to have a nice little chat about this whole process. I showed him the pictures and I asked him what he thought was necessary to achieve that look. He said that based on the texture, condition and length of my hair, it would be best to use Affirm Fiberguard Regular (Lye) for about 7 minutes. He did not want to use Mild because he felt that for the short amount of time that it was going to be in, the curl would not be released enough, esp. because the hair was extremely moisturized and strong. I told him how nervous I was and that I was really concerned about damage. He said he could actually feel my nervousness!! After much reassurance, we got started.

He (Will) has done my hair before with excellent results, so I trusted his judgment. He had asked me to detangle my hair and put it into six individuals braids, so after we talked he took the braids out. Starting from the back, he began to smooth the relaxer on without a comb. He was moving SO FAST!!! He would pull down a section, smooth on the relaxer, and keep moving. I asked him if the hair in the back was getting relaxed for too long. I was getting worried because I didn't want uneven processing. He assured me that because the hair was so healthy it would need the extra time. He said that it was actually the hair on the top that would need the least amount of processing. This did make sense since the hair in front is more loosely curled.

Once he had worked it really well, we were off the bowl. He rinsed the relxer out and explained that he was putting in the 5-in-1 reconstructor and that it should sit for 5-10 minutes. He asked me if I wanted to see my hair...

LADIES, OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!! MY HAIR LOOKED SOOOOOOOO FABULOUS!!!!!!

Okay ladies, so I took my pictures and headed over to the salon.

When I got there my stylist was finishing up on the lady ahead of me. Once he was finished with her, I told him we needed to have a nice little chat about this whole process. I showed him the pictures and I asked him what he thought was necessary to achieve that look. He said that based on the texture, condition and length of my hair, it would be best to use Affirm Fiberguard Regular (Lye) for about 7 minutes. He did not want to use Mild because he felt that for the short amount of time that it was going to be in, the curl would not be released enough, esp. because the hair was extremely moisturized and strong. I told him how nervous I was and that I was really concerned about damage. He said he could actually feel my nervousness!! After much reassurance, we got started.

He (Will) has done my hair before with excellent results, so I trusted his judgment. He had asked me to detangle my hair and put it into six individuals braids, so after we talked he took the braids out. Starting from the back, he began to smooth the relaxer on without a comb. He was moving SO FAST!!! He would pull down a section, smooth on the relaxer, and keep moving. I asked him if the hair in the back was getting relaxed for too long. I was getting worried because I didn't want uneven processing. He assured me that because the hair was so healthy it would need the extra time. He said that it was actually the hair on the top that would need the least amount of processing. This did make sense since the hair in front is more loosely curled.

Once he had worked it really well, we were off the bowl. He rinsed the relxer out and explained that he was putting in the 5-in-1 reconstructor and that it should sit for 5-10 minutes. He asked me if I wanted to see my hair...

LADIES, OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!! MY HAIR LOOKED SOOOOOOOO FABULOUS!!!!!!

Whoops, I submitted too early...

It just looked so amazing I could not believe it. It looked even better when we had finished neutralizing and conditioning. Soooooo sleek and curly. I have GOT to post pics!!!! I am SOOOOOOOOOOO happy.

Thank you ladies for your prayers, well wishes and insightful comments!!!!!

I cannot wait to wash and wear!!! We decided to blowdry and curl just so I could have a straight look for a couple of days. After a much needed trim, my hair is about an inch past bra-strap when straight. When it was wet is about three inches above bra-strap with wonderful waves. I am soooooooo excited!! I want to rush to the BSS now and just start trying all the products that are raved about here on the board. This is definitely a whole new phase
. Okay, I have to get started on an album!

sengschick

The Bun Master

I'm so happy for you!!!! I didn't want to leave my office until you came back!!!! I'm so, so thrilled it went well and you're happy! He sounds like a wonderful stylist
!!

Oh, thank you SO much, Sengs!
Really and truly, thanks for the support!

Your hair was definitely in my mind when I was contemplating! I want to know all the tips you have!!! Did you start doing protein treatments more often?? How long do you wait after getting it done to wash it? I seriously am tempted to jump in the shower now!!! Thank you!

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

Whew! I'm glad you decided on the texturizer and everything turned out great!

Post those pics soon!

blue_flower

Awesome! That sounds great! I'm glad everything turned out perfect for you!

I will, I will! I am about to go get one of those Kodak digital cameras! I am just sooo relieved!

Yes, texturizing was the right decision. I was paranoid that he was was going to get it too straight, but it came out so well. And when he was combing it out WET, it only took like 5 MINUTES!!! And he was not raking at all. That is what I am talking about!!!

MoezThunder

[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:
Whew! I'm glad you decided on the texturizer and everything turned out great!

Post those pics soon!

[/ QUOTE ]
You said it Sassy! Congrats Oshun. "As you swing yo long hair on the cat walk...on the cat walk..Yeh!

Thanks, Moez!!!

Girl, you KNOW I was swinging and bouncing on my way back! Will even told me not to break my neck when I was leaving!! LOL! I could not wait to let you all know how it turned out. I really am about to got to CVS and see about those disposable digital cameras!

GodMadeMePretty

I am so happy that you are happy with the results. To answer your question from earlier, yes, I am transitioning. It's been a year and a week. BUT my hair is so thick and I really do like to show my length and I'm too lazy to spend 5+ hours flat-ironing. So, I'm seriously thinking about doing the relaxer thing. I really want to texturize, but there is no way that the top of my head won't come out bone straight unless it is not done at all. I do so want to run a comb right through my hair. (Not that I did that regularly anyway.) I can't wait to see your pics.

But then I see BabyBlue, KhaSha and others (these are the ones that I have seen today) and I want to at least TRY all natural. I'm in a situation. But for now, I'm going with the status quo. And that is to transition.

options

I absolutely cannot wait to see your pics! Glad you like the results.

Tai

[ QUOTE ]
OshunCurls said:
Thanks, Tai!

I am pretty sure my stylist uses Affirm Fiberguard Mild. I think the lye formula will be best. I have never seen him apply a relaxer, but several of my girls with very nice hair go to him regularly for their touch-ups. What type of relaxer did you use for your texturizer? Any particular reason you are transitioning?

[/ QUOTE ]
I had used HerbaRich by CON to do my texturizer but I was going to switch to Affirm Fiberguard no-lye before I decided to transition. I really like my texturizer but now that I rarely use heat, I've been mostly wearing it curly so I thought I might as well go back to my curls instead of messing w/ my texturized ones. This is my second transition.

inthepink

I'm so glad things turned out well. I cannot wait to see your pictures!

Tai

I'm glad you decided on the texturizer.

It sounds like things turned out wonderful. Having a texturizer can be the best of both worlds.
You already know what to do to keep your hair healthy and strong so maintaining it shouldn't be a problem. I can't wait to see pics!

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
Tai said:
Having a texturizer can be the best of both worlds.

[/ QUOTE ]

VERY good point. I will keep this in mind for the FAR future when I'm feeling this way.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach

I am so happy/relieved that everything turned out good. I am so happy for you. Girl go ahead and swing that new length and don't get whiplash in the process!!!

Can't wait to see pics!!!

TigerLily

Oh Oshun! I'm so glad things turned out well for you! I'm so happy for you!

coolbreeze

Hi OshunCurls!

Congratulations! I've been natural for 9 years, so I know exactly where you are coming from. Within those years, I grew my hair to brastrap length about three times, but each time got frustrated with the three hours
it took me to wash and detangle it each week. So, as the solution, I would just shave my head and begin again. Eventually, however, I would get tired of the TWA (although it was so easy to manage!), and start the grow out process all over.

I thought of perming it many times, but then I would get a feeling of 'giving up', like I couldn't even take care of my own hair. Also, I hated going to the beauty salon to get my hair done, and my previous home perms had been a disaster.

Currently, I'm back down to 2.5-3.5 inches of natural hair. And ladies, I was doing just fiiine with my short hair until I discovered this board. Now I want to grow it out again!

Will I ever perm my hair again? Maybe, maybe not. But in the end, your hair, whether permed or natural, should be a wonderful accessory that helps you to feel good about yourself, and it looks like you've already accomplished this. Good luck!

Thank you, thank you, thank you so much ladies!

I am so happy I could share this experience with you all. I'm sure it was all the positive thoughts and energy from everyone that helped everything to work out so well!

GMMP: I definitely understand your situation. I do think that everyone should wear and enjoy their natural hair at some point. Please do continue to transition! If you just keep looking at those albums you will make it- I had to STAY AWAY from those albums in order to make the decision to relax! Way too much temptation...

Alright, so let me try and figure out how to post some pics...

zoya_j

I'm glad you like it Oshun. I can't wait to see some pics

i12sitonmyhair

Chero-Khoi American

Oshun, I'm so glad that it turned out great. I'm nervous about relaxing my daughter's hair, but she is so tender-headed that we've decided to this anyway. Your story was very encouraging. I'd love to see your pics, too.

sengschick

The Bun Master

[ QUOTE ]
OshunCurls said:
Oh, thank you SO much, Sengs!
Really and truly, thanks for the support!

Your hair was definitely in my mind when I was contemplating! I want to know all the tips you have!!! Did you start doing protein treatments more often?? How long do you wait after getting it done to wash it? I seriously am tempted to jump in the shower now!!! Thank you!

[/ QUOTE ]
Awwww that's so sweet! Thank you.
I have been more congnizant of protein since texturizing. But I also learned that my hair doesn't like too much. I actually probably washed 'too soon', but I couldn't wait any longer. I lasted about 72 hours. I'm getting re-touched Friday and I'm not letting her use heat. So I'm washing and going right from the salon!!! PM me if you have any other questions. I'm planning to try Tracy's method for air drying (as soon as I find the thread!)

Thanks everyone!

I am very happy with my hair at the moment and I look forward to keeping it healthy and strong.

Welcome, coolbreeze

It definitely sounds like you know where I am coming from. You had better enjoy that TWA while you can- it will be gone all too soon