Religion Before Slave Trade

Livingmylifetothefullest

I've always wondered this (I hope I can post this question here): I understand that many slaves were forced to become Christians from their masters but before any of this, what was the religion of Africans prior to the slave trade?

Hi! Saw this pop up on the recent post list and thought I'd come in. I love topics like this!

Depends where in Africa you are talking about. It is true that Christians sometimes did forced conversions in Africa, but many Africans became Christians willingly. I read that one of the 3 Wise Men was an African. If you look up the history of what is not the Coptic Church, and you will see Christians were willingly converting in modern Libya, Egypt, Ethiopia, and other countries. Some of the founders of the modern Western church (like Augustine) were from places like Algeria. Western Africans often practiced forms of animism and ancestral worship and things like Orisha. It's a lot deeper than that, but I don't have too much knowledge to expound.

By the time the slave traders came, many Africans were Muslims. I've read that as many as 30% of slaves were Muslims, but there is no way to know.

Last edited:
Thank you. Christianity is 2,000 years old in Africa and it was not limited to North and East Africa. Judaism is older in Africa than Islam. There were many beliefsets held by slaves, even christian when they arrived on these shores. There were laws for slaves that prevented them from practicing ANY religion, even christianity, up to a certain time. Depends upon the slaveholders and their region.

Incidentally, I know of a Gullah-Geechee guy who kept his gggrandfather's Qu'ran. He had smuggled it with him on the ship.

Judaism is older in Africa than Islam.

Many of the OT stories about Jews take place somewhere in Africa, so I thought it went without saying that there was a strong Jewish presence on the continent very early in religious history. Also, Judaism is the first Abrahamic religion, so isn't that a given that it's older than Islam??

I believe Sephardics and Mizrahim are also rooted in N. Africa. And then of course there are the Ethiopian Jews that stand out because of their obvious blackness.

There were many religions in West Africa in those days, mainly Islam and indigenous religions.

Most slaves were brought from West Africa and just like many Africans still do today, they kept their own religion and mixed it with Christianity once they had been introduced to Christianity.

I've always wondered this (I hope I can post this question here): I understand that many slaves were forced to become Christians from their masters but before any of this, what was the religion of Africans prior to the slave trade?
From the historical documents that are available and those I have come across, the ladies who have posted here are historically correct.:yep: I do want to say though that while one may be forced to go through the motions and ceremonies associated with a particular 'religion', true Christianity can not be forced. It is a choice that has to be willingly made. Jesus does not force himself on anyone. Your questions are welcomed here! As we all say, you paid your annual membership fee too.:grin:

Many of the OT stories about Jews take place somewhere in Africa, so I thought it went without saying that there was a strong Jewish presence on the continent very early in religious history. Also, Judaism is the first Abrahamic religion, so isn't that a given that it's older than Islam??

I believe Sephardics and Mizrahim are also rooted in N. Africa. And then of course there are the Ethiopian Jews that stand out because of their obvious blackness.

Sefaradim are also rooted in W. Africa through history. Believe me, there are Jews who still refuse to believe Africa had valid Jews. People just tend to go blank when it comes to Africa. They read the scriptures, they hear and read the histories of events etc., but they draw a blank for dark skin :lachen: Hence, the many folks who can't fathom Hebrews in Africa lol. Jews is everywhuh in Africa (or their remnants). Bet, in 3010, somebody will be talking about the great African American population, with all their inventions and other achievements in the arts, politics, science, education etc. And they will put a white face to it.:drunk:

I was born in Jamaica, and we were always taught that we descended from the Ashanti and Fanti tribes in West Africa. I do know that the Ashanti tribe practices a very old form of "Judaism". I will say this, there was once 12 tribes of Israel, the term Judaism and Jew originates from only one tribe, the tribe of Judah. They all practiced the laws given to their forefathers Abraham and Moses. So even though it is possible that our roots may lead us away from the Bible, it is also possible that it would lead us right back to it.

Last edited:
Back