Replacement For Shea Moisture Purification Masque & Tresemme Naturals Conditioner (original Formula)

SEMO

It's a bit early to call it, but I think I've found a replacement for the SM purification masque (which I thought was being discontinued, but can still be ordered directly from SM only now).

It's the Perfectly (Un)Done conditioner from Tresemme (which I found out about thanks to a great review by CurlyGirlJess on YouTube - she compared it to the original formula Tresemme Naturals conditioner and said it was even better. I wholeheartedly agree).

I used the purification masque only as a prepoo detangler. Nothing else seemed to melt the tangles out of my hair like this did, no matter how dry my hair was, or how long I went between washes.

But the perfectly (un)done conditioner detangles my hair equally well. I did a side by side comparison during my last pre-poo session (where my hair was moderately tangly). And as a bonus I can use the perfectly (un)done as a rinse out conditioner and as a leave-in (I've been using this as my primary leave-in and moisturizer for over a week. I ran out and got a bottle the same day I saw CurlyGirlJess' review. And my hair is loving this stuff). I couldn't use the purification masque as a rinse out or post shampoo deep conditioner (and definitely not a leave-in), b/c I dislike the smell and wouldn't want it to linger in my hair. But the purification masque detangling properties, for pre-pooing, were still enough for me to declare it a holy grail and go through many, many jars of it.

But considering I can get way more product for half the price with the Tresemme, I think I'm switching away from the SM purification masque. Which is ironic, because the Tresemme Naturals conditioner (original formula) was my holy grail detangler before the purification masque was. I only stopped using it after it was re-formulated, b/c it didn't detangle my hair nearly as well anymore. So it's fitting that I think I'm giving up the purification masque to go back to a Tresemme conditioner (which works better for me than I remember the original Tresemme Naturals working for me).

So I guess Shea Moisture just lost a customer with me (the purification masque was the only product of theirs that I loved and consistently bought).

Just had to make a thread about this, in case anyone else was using the purification masque like I do (primarily a detangler) and isn't interested in only being able to buy it online from SM (and not in stores anymore). And this thread is also for the ladies who gave up on Tresemme Naturals after the formula change, and maybe haven't found a replacement yet.

naturalmanenyc

Thanks! I will check this out. I was using Shea Moisture Purification Masque as a detangler as well after a wash & go. I found it via Dawnyele from YouTube.

I moved on to Sally's GVP The Detangler when taking down my protective styles but Tresemme Perfectly Undone has more uses and it's like $4.99 for 25 ounces at Target (5% off and free shipping with Redcard)! I have about 1 inch left in my bottle of Tresemme Naturals conditioner (original).

Last edited:

ClassyJSP

I literally just used Shea Moisture Masque for the first time tonight and love it. I have a whole bottle left of the Tresemme Naturals original. However this new line does seem interesting.

SEMO

I literally just used Shea Moisture Masque for the first time tonight and love it. I have a whole bottle left of the Tresemme Naturals original. However this new line does seem interesting.

Searching for a replacement of holy grails can turn a person into a product junkie. And I wasn't looking forward to searching for a purification masque replacement. But seeing her review had me so intrigued (b/c the original formula Tresemme Naturals had been my prior holy grail detangler, and this was supposedly better). I had to try it, and I'm so glad I did.

I kinda regret rushing out and buying 2 jars of the purification masque at full price (I don't regret having them, just that I paid full price).

ClassyJSP

Searching for a replacement of holy grails can turn a person into a product junkie. And I wasn't looking forward to searching for a purification masque replacement. But seeing her review had me so intrigued (b/c the original formula Tresemme Naturals had been my prior holy grail detangler, and this was supposedly better). I had to try it, and I'm so glad I did.

I kinda regret rushing out and buying 2 jars of the purification masque at full price (I don't regret having them, just that I paid full price).

I was SO upset when I got back to work after my quick trip to CVS and found out Walgreens had Shea Moisture BOGO 50% off. I'm tempted to go by and see what they have left.

SEMO

I was SO upset when I got back to work after my quick trip to CVS and found out Walgreens had Shea Moisture BOGO 50% off. I'm tempted to go by and see what they have left.

I knew Walgreens was having the bogo 50% off, but my local one didn't have any of the purification masques. I actually checked like 4-5 stores, and only my local Sally's had any. So I bought the last two jars they had. But they were the full price, unfortunately.

gorgeoushair

I guess this won't be a replacement for those who use the PM for deep conditioning or detoxification purposes.

SEMO

I guess this won't be a replacement for those who use the PM for deep conditioning or detoxification purposes.

The Tresemme could possibly be used as a deep conditioner. It's very moisturizing. But, yeah it's not going to be able to detox your hair.

ClassyJSP

I knew Walgreens was having the bogo 50% off, but my local one didn't have any of the purification masques. I actually checked like 4-5 stores, and only my local Sally's had any. So I bought the last two jars they had. But they were the full price, unfortunately.

I posted this in the other thread. I'm so silly CVS has it B1G1 free and I only brought one lol BUT i called and told them I'm missing one free one so I'm suppose to pick it up after work (couldn't make it on my lunch break).